Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ACBoard & Tassie Libs: how low can you go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, most workplaces, specifically office ones where you have a computer, allow limited personal internet use which includes social media. Checking twitter or facebook when you're supposed to be working is unlikely to warrant more than a "get back to work" if you're caught unless you spend all day on it which then shows up in your work output.

In relation to "cutting their losses", yes. If her employers, CA, felt she'd done her dash and they couldn't keep her as an employee then you judge the merits of the case, assess the risk and if you think you have a case you can defend or settle, bang.

The other thing to consider is, this kind of situation rarely happens to someone who is considered a good employee, one they wanted to keep.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

I never made that connection before.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Like I said, most workplaces, specifically office ones where you have a computer, allow limited personal internet use which includes social media. Checking twitter or facebook when you're supposed to be working is unlikely to warrant more than a "get back to work" if you're caught unless you spend all day on it which then shows up in your work output.

In relation to "cutting their losses", yes. If her employers, CA, felt she'd done her dash and they couldn't keep her as an employee then you judge the merits of the case, assess the risk and if you think you have a case you can defend or settle, bang.

The other thing to consider is, this kind of situation rarely happens to someone who is considered a good employee, one they wanted to keep.

I wholeheartedly agree, and with your last sentence in particular. Good employees just avoid this type of problem, because they are conscious of the wider issues at stake. I’ve authorized many payoffs. Unless part of a voluntary severance or real positional redundancy, they almost always go to the problem citizens you want to release. Good people don’t get those extra payments across a career.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Wokest take on the issue: It's about sexism:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-02/cricket-australia-angela-williamson-abortion-masculinity-sport/10065838
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm

We were talking about workplaces office ones where you have a computer allow limited personal internet use which includes social media , weren't we?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Embarrassing and (probably) unlawful.
You, of course, for consistencies sake will support the following people who have been sacked, or face dismissal, for voicing their opinions. Or are only "correct" opinions worth defending?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/god-made-us-male-and-female-doctor-sacked-for-saying-people-cannot-choose-their-gender/news-story/5c428000dd8b92e5153fb346559a4be4
https://www.spectator.com.au/2018/08/going-the-full-kafka-on-free-speech/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-07/defence-force-reservist-sacked-for-anti-gay-comments-wins-case/7005966
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-20/fair-work-to-probe-sacking-over-same-sex-marriage-survey/8964558

The last one was, indeed, a disgrace, and the second one also seems to have been. The others are more complex for various reasons – the doctor who refused to treat his patients respectfully was, arguably, failing in one of the key aspects of his job, and while I don’t necessarily agree with people being sacked for publicly criticising their employer (as in the army guy case), that is in a somewhat different category to what we’re discussing here.

For me, people should have the right as citizens to participate in public life, and restrictions on that should be the exception, not the rule – and a rigorously justified exception at that. As the article I posted argues, the notion that criticising a state government for unrelated reasons made her unable to fulfil her job of dealing with them as a cricket lobbyist is ludicrous, and real slippery-slope thinking. That we’ve allowed workplace contracts to get to the stage where vague, far-reaching social media restrictions are the norm shows that unions and governments have been asleep at the wheel. And employers have happily exploited that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Wokest take on the issue: It's about sexism:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-02/cricket-australia-angela-williamson-abortion-masculinity-sport/10065838

To be fair, most of that article was reasonable.

That she was posting about Abortion is what created the headline and got so many people heated up. If it was about plastic bags, no one would give a shit and as I said earlier the subject of her tweets are totally irrelevant to the decision to terminate.

I'm waiting for someone to link her to #metoo Rolling Eyes

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 pm

David wrote:
That we’ve allowed workplace contracts to get to the stage where vague, far-reaching social media restrictions are the norm shows that unions and governments have been asleep at the wheel. And employers have happily exploited that.

Unions only have relevance in the public sector, manufacturing and construction. Only 15% of workers are union members and only 9% in the private sector. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/6333.0Main%20Features5August%202016?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=6333.0&issue=August%202016&num=&view=

Governments put in place laws. Labor put in the fair work act which prescribes the conditions for legal and lawful dismissal.

The only one asleep at the wheel here was the one who sent the tweets.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Any military decisions should be treated entirely seperate. The vast amount of personel and locations make it difficult. The problem is the majority of staff are young impressionable people who are away from home. At one stage there where over 2000 facebook pages of idiots saying they were in the SASR. Not one of them where. Not one SASR member even had a facebook page (wives may have).. There was issues about deployments to East Timor about morons saying they about to deploy. They banned ebay when they found people were spending hours a day watching their products being bid for. There are internal forums where things like equipment and customs can be discussed. But public comments are not on.

on a seconadey thing. What are all these bloody positions on CA and the AFL et al. What do they do. Why is a director level position required to talk cricket in Tasmania that has a very limited player base and one or 2 decent ovals. The misters get free tickets to the tests and oz cricket would be well under way. These organisations are becoming self licking icecreams,

K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 pm

ronrat wrote:
on a seconadey thing. What are all these bloody positions on CA and the AFL et al. What do they do. Why is a director level position required to talk cricket in Tasmania that has a very limited player base and one or 2 decent ovals. The misters get free tickets to the tests and oz cricket would be well under way. These organisations are becoming self licking icecreams,

AFR reported that key management personnel (in CA) and "the executives with the authority for the strategic direction and management of the Company" were paid $5.6 million in fiscal 2016. And it's not just the money. There's no transparency or accountability in that organization.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 am

Always hard to compare conceptual classifications like “those with responsibility for strategic direction”, which could include a lot of middle management. How many people are covered by the $5.6M ? It seems like a lot, but I read recently that the CEO of Ingham’s Chicken processing pulled down about $8M last year for a fairly small sized business by international standards. Executive pay ceased to make sense a long time ago.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Well, that's another issue the AFR writer had: lack of transparency. We don't know who is getting paid what and what it is they are getting paid to do. (Maybe they employ someone to make inflammatory tweets about the players and their union. Wink) The wording is incredibly vague.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Maurice Blackburn are waiting for a phone call. Show me the money.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 pm

^ Are they particularly noteworthy. I'm sort of looking for such services.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 pm

^

The partners aren't putting a down payment on a bigger yacht just yet at Ambulance Chasers Inc, they won't get much out of this if they go through fair Work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: