Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

melliot wrote:
^ apparently FA compo picks don't hold points. TBC..

Without discounting the possibility that the AFL make it up as they go along, both AFL Rules and the new CBA provide:

"(b) For the avoidance of doubt, any entitlement to a compensatory selection:
(i) may be exchanged in accordance with the AFL Rules;
(ii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Father/Son rule; and
(iii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Listing of Club Academy Player.
"

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

What makes it impossible?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

In terms of talent acquisition strategy for next pre-season, without any quality draft picks, I think we'd be looking to free agency with Wells's contract coming off the books and other retirements or re-negotiations. We could potentially have enough room to sign a significant free agent.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 am

MJ23 wrote:
So, with two late teen picks we got.
1. Beams - A grade mid right now
2. Top 15 talent in Quaynor
3. Top 20 KPP and the best KPP in this draft

Not Trading for Beams and we would have got
1. Top 15 talent in Quaynor
2. Top 20 KPP and the best KPP in this draft
3. some random kid for a pick in the late teens next year

We Never had the currency for May unless we tipped out a Moore or another top 10 talent.
They have said a few times the priority was keeping out list together given the performance last year - I like that

We have Talented kids now that are going to have to work hard to get a game - which is good for the med/long turm. We have a heap og KPP kids now to develop.

Good result

I think we have been smart and done well

If it pans out the way you say in either scenario I’m happy with the result. However if we go into points deficit to pick up Will Kelly, then it basically means that next year’s draft is a write off, unless we trade some players away next year.

Also another worry that I have is that our list is aging. We have aging mids now as well as aging KPP’s. We are moving the same way as Hawthorn and Geelong and opposite to the Western Bullogs who are rejuvenating their list after winning a flag.

I’m neither disposed one way or the other. It narrows the window to the next couple of years. We need to address the age on our list while giving opportunity to the youth on our list. I don’t think we can afford to delist McLarty when we have Dunn, Reid and Roughead having at most 2-3 years left in their careers. Also I hope there is still a senior spot in the team for Sier who is in the infancy of his career. An awful lot now depends on the two Irishmen, Madgen, Lynch, Appleby, the Brown brothers, Daicos and Crocker to press for senior selection. If at least half these players make it, then our list is healthy and will stretch out into the 2020’s. If not our list will struggle beyond the next couple of years like it did in the years following 2010.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

We Never had the currency for May unless we tipped out a Moore or another top 10 talent.
They have said a few times the priority was keeping out list together given the performance last year - I like that

We have Talented kids now that are going to have to work hard to get a game - which is good for the med/long turm. We have a heap og KPP kids now to develop.

Good result

If it pans out the way you say in either scenario I’m happy with the result. However if we go into points deficit to pick up Will Kelly, then it basically means that next year’s draft is a write off, unless we trade some players away next year.

Also another worry that I have is that our list is aging. We have aging mids now as well as aging KPP’s. We are moving the same way as Hawthorn and Geelong and opposite to the Western Bullogs who are rejuvenating their list after winning a flag.

I’m neither disposed one way or the other. It narrows the window to the next couple of years. We need to address the age on our list while giving opportunity to the youth on our list. I don’t think we can afford to delist McLarty when we have Dunn, Reid and Roughead having at most 2-3 years left in their careers. Also I hope there is still a senior spot in the team for Sier who is in the infancy of his career. An awful lot now depends on the two Irishmen, Madgen, Lynch, Appleby, the Brown brothers, Daicos and Crocker to press for senior selection. If at least half these players make it, then our list is healthy and will stretch out into the 2020’s. If not our list will struggle beyond the next couple of years like it did in the years following 2010.

I see Sier's main competition for a place as an inside mid being Adams. Sier is a bigger, less experienced version who is still learning the game. I considered him to be BOG by half time in the GF. He has a great upside as he isn't yet fit and can't run out a game. Hopefully he will get a full pre-season in and go to the next level. If he gets himself fit he isn't going anywhere except into the ranks of our most important players.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-18/bigname-deals-thin-out-2019-free-agency-list
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am

Paul Amy:

String of re-signings for Collingwood VFL including Callan Wellings, Tom Jok, Sean Hetherington, Andrew Gallucci, Matty Smith and Elliot Le Grice. Believe a couple of AFL clubs has spoken to the versatile Jok.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:36 am
Post subject: Ned Guy —how was his trading qualityReply with quote

Didn’t have a lot input in 2017

He had the reins this year so how do we see his performance

On the March 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

MM - Noting that Max Lynch has been on the rookie list two years and has been contracted for next year does he need to go on the primary list?
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:13 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

Good result

I think the age profile is exactly why we need to make sure IQ and WK comes in this year.

The risk is Dunn, Goldy, Reid year end. We need Shaz and Moore to stand up and play and given their injury profile is a risk. I think the irish boys, Hopefully Kelly, Mclarty, Roughy, Magden, Murphy,Hopefully IQ and even Miohcek gives us some coverage in defence. I think Bucks likes the more mobile ball users down back even if we give up height and this is covered even more by a dominant midfield.

Wells, Varcoe and greenwood hopefully by the end of the year should struggle to get a game. Kids like C.Brown, T. Brown, Daicos should be challenging for selection. Stephanson, Degoey, Aish, Thomas should be challenging for midfield time and thats without Wills who may or may not be there. I think IQ will also push into the midfield and Murphy to the wing.

Point is we get the elite kids in now and start the development now to replace those players you highlighted. Dont worry about a pick for some random next year when we know the talent is elite now and our discount and access makes them available.

Younger Daics will be around in two years and by all accounts he could be a top 10 talent.

Also, if Greenwood, Wells in particular are not around we start a bit of a war chest again for another elite Mid - Goniglio, Raynor, Whitfield.....who knows

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm

On the March wrote:
MM - Noting that Max Lynch has been on the rookie list two years and has been contracted for next year does he need to go on the primary list?

I think that could be correct of we want to retain our rights to him. We could delist and pick up in the rookie list if no-one drafts him ahead of us (eg Oxley last year). That should all become clear by 31 October when lists are lodged.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm

The AFL website is saying that we are sitting on 1222 points as it now stands. Maybe that will clarify if #57 comes into play or not.
They also say that should we go into deficit in 2018, then our second rounder comes into play ( as expected ) and we would just drop further back in the order in the 2019 draft ( and hopefully we would get some change back from any 2019 second round points requirement )
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The AFL website is saying that we are sitting on 1222 points as it now stands. Maybe that will clarify if #57 comes into play or not.
They also say that should we go into deficit in 2018, then our second rounder comes into play ( as expected ) and we would just drop further back in the order in the 2019 draft ( and hopefully we would get some change back from any 2019 second round points requirement )

No expectation that the AFL reporters know the rules based on what we’ve seen to date.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

No expectation that the AFL reporters know the rules based on what we’ve seen to date.

Fair call and it looks like they have added in the points that # 57 would attract if it could be used for points accumulation. It’s a bizarre situation because you have highlighted the rules above in bold and it appears pretty obvious they can’t be used.
As to why you cant use them for NGA or FS is another discussion all together.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:30 pm

With the players at our disposal—has Tom Jok been signed in any capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 109 of 128   

Jump to: