Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent?! Please stay right away....
The mail is Kirby will not be offered a new contract.
Time to cut Fasolo loose.
Langdon has absolutely no defensive side to his game and more often then not, when caught in a one-on-one, gets beaten almost every time. Even when he's sagging off his man to impact a contest, I've lost count how many times he's failed to kill the contest. Continually costs us goals and takes all day to make a decision. He must think he is stronger than he actually is waiting to be tackled and dish the ball I can't take watching him for another season. If it weren't for injuries this bloke should've been rotting in the VFL and Shaz should've been playing his role sweeping across half back and using his skills and decision making, not Langdon. Occasionally Langdon will do something that is expected and people bang on like its fantastic, the quicker we can find a replacement the better our backline will be.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Cheers M M.

While there is still so much to play out before the draft day, I’m starting to think that Collingwood matching any bid for Quaynor, isn’t as cut n dry as most would think.
At the end of the day, he is “ just “ a classy HBF and it seems to me that we would / should have bigger fish to fry with our first rounder.

Will Kelly, who will likely go a little later, is a different story. He would surely be a prime target. My guess is, his name won’t be called out till later in the second round anyway ( plus he’s a KPD )

Re Quaynor the big issue (outside of how we value him) will be whether he is bid on before or after our first round pick. It will be a massive difference just like the Darcy Moore draft.

Obviously the lower we finish on the ladder, the less likely Quaynors name will be called out before it’s our first pick ( assuming we haven’t traded or chopped it up )
I’m conflicted on Quaynor. I’ve seen him twice for the Chargers this year and his two U18 championship games on TV ( he missed the early ones with injury ). I haven’t been overly impressed with anything I’ve seen, albeit I readily accept the experts know more than me and that my viewing was a small sample size.
Do we really need to commit to a discounted classy HBF or should we be looking to cast our net a bit further out with our first pick.
We have invested in Murray and they will look for more improvement from Appleby. That just seems like enough coverage in that half of the ground ( and that’s not already including our automatic selections back there )

Over to you Hine. All of a sudden, it doesn’t look like your first picks have turned out as bad as some first thought, injuries aside Sad
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:53 pm

inxs88 wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Yep, surely Kirby gets the benefit of the doubt, pending further medical analysis.

Can’t keep an original speculative pick on list or 3 years+

I would usually agree but I reckon there's something a bit special about Kale and worth giving another crack. 3 years is a bit misleading, in playing terms it's only 2. Of course his condition may well be the decider.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
Kent?! Please stay right away....
The mail is Kirby will not be offered a new contract.
Time to cut Fasolo loose.
Langdon has absolutely no defensive side to his game and more often then not, when caught in a one-on-one, gets beaten almost every time. Even when he's sagging off his man to impact a contest, I've lost count how many times he's failed to kill the contest. Continually costs us goals and takes all day to make a decision. He must think he is stronger than he actually is waiting to be tackled and dish the ball I can't take watching him for another season. If it weren't for injuries this bloke should've been rotting in the VFL and Shaz should've been playing his role sweeping across half back and using his skills and decision making, not Langdon. Occasionally Langdon will do something that is expected and people bang on like its fantastic, the quicker we can find a replacement the better our backline will be.

Yeah right, "If it weren't for injuries.. blah, blah.." Fact is, even with a full compliment, if he's fit, he plays. This has happened ever since his debut and will continue to do so right up until his 200th game and beyond. Get used to it, it aint gonna change.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:02 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
Elliott - too talented to cut. Offer low salary with match payments and a trigger for extension at higher salary if he plays say 11 or more senior games.

Fasolo - he may have his papers stamped at the club, but for mine he is too talented to let go unless his contract demands are outrageous. Failing that, look to maximise FA compensation.

Dunn - towards end of career and ACL injury, but potentially an important depth player. I think we can delist and rookie him with minimal risk (if we need an extra primary list spot) and offer him a low salary and match payments.

Goldsack - towards end of career, but potentially an important depth player. Has indicated he will play for "free". I think we can delist and rookie him with minimal risk (if we need an extra primary list spot) and offer him a low salary and match payments.

Blair - still only 28. Important depth player. Offer him a low salary and match payments or look at options to maximise FA compensation (see my GCS idea above).

Oxley and Smith are delists for me (although see my GCS idea above).

Kirby depends entirely on the medical situation for me.

ok, but if we keep Elliot, we have to all agree to stop talking about how unlucky we have been and using him as an example. We also have to stop saying we would be winning more games if we could just get our best 22 on the park and including him in the list. He, like Wells, is a pipe dream. Not to be counted on and a bonus if we get anything from him. So long as we are realistic, his upside definitely warrants the 40th spot on our list.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 am

GCS carcass:

Tom Lynch (RFA)
Steven May (contracted 2019)
Aaron Hall (uncontracted)

Barlow is a cost nothing AFL-ready player who would be useful depth.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--michael-barlow

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Eight VFL players off to the state combine:

Jake Aarts (Richmond) 180cm 76kg DOB 08/12/94

Brett Bewley (Williamstown) 185cm 87kg DOB 14/4/95

Sam Collins (Werribee) 194cm 97kg DOB 15/06/94

Will Hayes (Footscray) 181cm 79kg DOB 05/06/95

Nick Hind (Essendon) 180cm 75kg DOB 19/08/94

Marty Hore (Collingwood) 189cm 81kg DOB 05/03/96

Ethan Phillips (Port Melb) ?cm ?kg DOB 17/07/99

Corey Rich (Frankston) ?cm ?kg DOB ?

And five other VFL players invited to the Rookie Me combine:

Benny Cavarra (Williamstown)

Jay Lockhart (Casey)

Hayden McLean (Sandringham)

Kieran Strachan (Port Melbourne)

Charlie Thompson (Richmond).

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Elliott - too talented to cut. Offer low salary with match payments and a trigger for extension at higher salary if he plays say 11 or more senior games.

Fasolo - he may have his papers stamped at the club, but for mine he is too talented to let go unless his contract demands are outrageous. Failing that, look to maximise FA compensation.

Dunn - towards end of career and ACL injury, but potentially an important depth player. I think we can delist and rookie him with minimal risk (if we need an extra primary list spot) and offer him a low salary and match payments.

Goldsack - towards end of career, but potentially an important depth player. Has indicated he will play for "free". I think we can delist and rookie him with minimal risk (if we need an extra primary list spot) and offer him a low salary and match payments.

Blair - still only 28. Important depth player. Offer him a low salary and match payments or look at options to maximise FA compensation (see my GCS idea above).

Oxley and Smith are delists for me (although see my GCS idea above).

Kirby depends entirely on the medical situation for me.

I came *this* close to unstickying the thread.

You're lucky I have such strong self-control... Wink

Last edited by MagpieBat on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Yep, surely Kirby gets the benefit of the doubt, pending further medical analysis.

Can’t keep an original speculative pick on list or 3 years+

I would usually agree but I reckon there's something a bit special about Kale and worth giving another crack. 3 years is a bit misleading, in playing terms it's only 2. Of course his condition may well be the decider.

can not keep on a list.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Likely ladder position: 8-12

Pick [7-11]

Trade for May (GCS)

I think we'll finish 4th... how does that work?

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2018-date-afl-to-make-history-and-hold-draft-across-two-days/news-story/53043cbf4547af211e9b3962186899c0

Key Dates

Fri Oct 5 9.00am free agency window opens

Mon Oct 8 10.00am trading period opens

Fri Oct 12 5.00pm free agency window closes

Wed Oct 17 8.30pm trading period closes

Thu Nov 22 National Draft Day 1

Fri Nov 23 AM National Draft Day 2

Fri Nov 23 PM Rookie Draft

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:49 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2018-date-afl-to-make-history-and-hold-draft-across-two-days/news-story/53043cbf4547af211e9b3962186899c0

I’m already salivating. Live draft pick trading over the two days and the rookie and pre season drafts as part of the same event.
Bring it on.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

I’m already salivating. Live draft pick trading over the two days and the rookie and pre season drafts as part of the same event.
Bring it on.

Feel like it will Drag a bit in 2nd Day.

So teams get 10 Minutes at least between Picks?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Bring it on.

Dave, as I heard on the radio ( as opposed to reading the link ) the plan is something like only showcasing the first round picks only on the evening of the first day.
The second day ( which wouldn’t start until the arvo anyway ) is made up of the rest of the national draft, then into the rookie draft and then the preseason draft ( which will take all of 5 mins )
The theory is that clubs will really embrace the live trading aspect of the draft because most clubs have dibs on so many good NGA players and father son picks this year.
This will take a bit of time as clubs negotiate with other clubs to gain the picks they need for the above.
I agree it’s not TV for everyone but if it makes the difference between getting the player you really want or not, then it’s time well spent.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Bring it on.

Dave, as I heard on the radio ( as opposed to reading the link ) the plan is something like only showcasing the first round picks only on the evening of the first day.
The second day ( which wouldn’t start until the arvo anyway ) is made up of the rest of the national draft, then into the rookie draft and then the preseason draft ( which will take all of 5 mins )
The theory is that clubs will really embrace the live trading aspect of the draft because most clubs have dibs on so many good NGA players and father son picks this year.
This will take a bit of time as clubs negotiate with other clubs to gain the picks they need for the above.
I agree it’s not TV for everyone but if it makes the difference between getting the player you really want or not, then it’s time well spent.

Per the article: "... while the rest of the picks will take place the next morning [2nd day, being Friday]. The rookie draft will then be held on the Friday afternoon."

I have now posted key dates based on the article.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 3 of 128   

Jump to: