Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be true I suppose.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
On the March wrote:
Regarding our rookie list.

My recollection is Josh T was elevated just prior to last season.If thats so he'll need to be so permanently for next season.

Max Lynch has had two years on rookie list so I think that means he has to be elevated (or re-rookied) keeping in mind he was re-contracted earlier this year.

Whilst it may seem obvious that Miocek should also be elevated there is no immediate need to do so. He has earned a new contract and can be kept on the rookie list for an another year. I think he would be in the same position as JT last year and elevated just before the season starts.

Nevertheless if we need to elevate these first two it may impact on the number of available spots on the list although the mix (number) of senior / rookie spots can vary.

I am wondering if Greenwood might get squeezed out.

Finally whilst we still have a need for a long term full back and possibly a tallish KF I'm not sure we are going to get that this year. Kelly will help as a KD. I am thinking we might target a small forward late in the draft.
Atu Bosenavulagi anyone?

Since the new CBA Cat A rookies can play seniors with elevation so no need to elevate for that reason.

I haven't looked into the 2 year issue, but that does ring a bell. Worst case we can delist and try to re-rookie (risk being someone else drafts him).

Looks like we can keep a rookie for a third year by agreement:

10.10 Retention of Rookie List Players
(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32, prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.
(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 10.10, any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.
(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 10.5(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.

On the March 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks MM - that certainly seems to provide flexibility that we will need and potentially give us an extra list spot. Think we may want a pick after Kelly and Quaynor.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm

stoliboy wrote:
I thought I would have a look at how common it is for clubs to bid on another club's Academy or Father/Son draftees.

2016 Draft:
- Will Setterfield (GWS Academy player) - Bid on by Carlton at pick 5... GWS matched the bid
- Jack Bowes (Gold Coast Academy player) - Bid on by Sydney at pick 10... Gold Coast matched the bid
- Harry Perryman (GWS Academy player) - Bid on by Adelaide at pick 14... GWS matched the bid
- Isaac Cumming (GWS Academy player) - Bid on by Sydney at pick 20... GWS matched the bid
- Declan Watson (North Melbourne Academy player) - Bid on by Brisbane at pick 34... North Melbourne did NOT match the bid
- Kobe Mutch (GWS Academy player) - Bid on by Essendon at pick 42... GWS did NOT match the bid
- Harrison Macreadie (GWS Academy player) - Bid on by Carlton at pick 47... GWS did NOT match the bid

2017 Draft:
On Wikipedia I couldn’t see any clubs bidding on another club’s academy players. Is this right?

The common denominator is usually where in the draft they are called out in the first place. Highly ranked N G A or F S selections are very likely to get to their affiliate club simply because they are seen as top prospects anyway.
The later an academy or father / son is called, then the less likely he will be guaranteed to make it to his affiliated club. This is just because clubs tend to draft on a needs basis later in the draft rather than next best player high in the order.
This year, cubs like North, Carlton and Geelong will be faced with these decisions late in the draft when / if young Crocker, Brownless and Silvagni names are called out. It might be that those clubs just don’t need any more of those types of players when that pick comes around.
Josh Dunkley comes to mind as an exception to the rule as a kid who was “ kinda “ rated but the Swans passed on. The rest is history.
On the March 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

So if the Fas pick cant be used for points what happens if we go into deficit?

We can still use it?

LOL - too much time on my hands.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm

On the March wrote:
So if the Fas pick cant be used for points what happens if we go into deficit?

We can still use it?

LOL - too much time on my hands.

yeah, but if we need points, we could also trade with the guy who has pick 58.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Is the AFL trade period bigger than the game?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/is-the-afl-trade-period-bigger-than-the-game-20181019-p50asy.html

"While Matthews (who thought the trades were overblown) is correct, the major reason the media follows trades with such psychopathic intensity is that there's such a vast audience for it – even for second-tier recruits. On Friday morning, I overheard two middle-aged men in Brunswick analysing in detail the worth of Taylor Duryea to the Bulldogs.

In digital terms, the denouement of the trade period exceeds the AFL grand final for audience. There were about 200,000 fans streaming video of the final few hours on the AFL website. In all, the trade circus drew 4.5 million unique visitors to that same site or the AFL app and there were 27.8 million clicks on articles online (for the AFL and 18 clubs). Some 1.2 million streamed the banter of "Trade Radio", of which 29 per cent were watching it on video. Staggeringly, the average listening time was nearly an hour.

McLachlan and the AFL Commission should think carefully about how far they will allow the player movement economy to go in the unfettered American and English Premier League direction.
Personally, despite having dined off player movement as a journalist, I'm also of a school that would prefer to see a decent contingent of one-club players and of a limit to movement. My sense is that globalised younger fans hold less of a candle for one club players; they can abide Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell going, so long as Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara are coming."
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:18 pm

For those of you interested I emailed Michael Gleeson of The Age seeking clarification on the FA points issue and to his great credit he responded.

In his initial reply he confessed he was unaware of the provision within the CBA we had based are assumptions on and went on to say neither were some of the people from the clubs he had spoken to. He said he would seek further clarification.

He has since sent a second reply through telling me the AFL amended this provision earlier this year so FA compensation selections now have a points value.

Must say I could never understand why they shoudn't and common sense has prevailed.

Thanks Michael!

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 pm

swoop42 wrote:
For those of you interested I emailed Michael Gleeson of The Age seeking clarification on the FA points issue and to his great credit he responded.

In his initial reply he confessed he was unaware of the provision within the CBA we had based are assumptions on and went on to say neither were some of the people from the clubs he had spoken to. He said he would seek further clarification.

He has since sent a second reply through telling me the AFL amended this provision earlier this year so FA compensation selections now have a points value.

Must say I could never understand why they shoudn't and common sense has prevailed.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks for that. I see the AFL Rules dated February 2018 are now online and they have indeed been amended.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 pm

K wrote:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/is-the-afl-trade-period-bigger-than-the-game-20181019-p50asy.html

Yes.

I noticed this trend emerging around 2013 when Buddy signed with the Swans.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am

^ And it seems to me that, by stealth (and propaganda --- "maturity", etc.), the AFL has made the majority of fans enjoy the whole meat market. I think a lot has been lost in all of this.

MightyMagpie wrote:
... I see the AFL Rules dated February 2018 are now online and they have indeed been amended.

Can you provide the link, e.g. in this thread's OP? Thanks.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:21 am

Thanks Swoop - that was nice of him to even reply!

Cheers

- Ben
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Brown26 wrote:
Thanks Swoop - that was nice of him to even reply!

Cheers

- Ben

Being polite and eloquent can get you places. Wink

E 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Thanks Michael!

Thanks for that. I see the AFL Rules dated February 2018 are now online and they have indeed been amended.

the reason for it could also have been protective. If we need points, we will now lose that pick......

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:45 am

K wrote:

"McLachlan and the AFL Commission should think carefully about how far they will allow the player movement economy to go in the unfettered American and English Premier League direction."

And this from Tim Boyle:

Australian sport doesn't need to be slathered in American mustard

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/australian-sport-doesn-t-need-to-be-slathered-in-american-mustard-20181020-p50ax2.html

"It’s one thing to employ a talent-free ensemble if they live in Collingwood, but to transport one from the US at great expense highlights not only the decision making down at headquarters but the obvious desire to be closer to the US, whatever the cost.

Not so long ago it was possible to attend the MCG with an American friend and introduce them to an atmosphere that was new to them, one that by absorbing they might also see something beautiful and particular to this country, a window onto history. But when you crush the space between the action, you obscure what is natural about any atmosphere and reduce all of them to the same thing.

It’s disingenuous to suggest that American culture is not in many ways our culture, too. We borrow from it daily. This is especially true for young people, many of whom seem to consider Australia an island in exile from New York City. I am an American obsessive, but some things are not worth assimilating and you don’t need to talk about politics to identify them."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 111 of 128   

Jump to: