Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1-8 against top 8. WC down a rotation. Enough excuses!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
I find the stat misleading to be honest.

Had we lost to North two weeks ago, they'd be in the eight as we speak. The Bombers team we defeated a few weeks ago have only lost three games since round 9, so they've arguably been performing like a top 4 team despite their current ladder position and we defeated a Crows team who would be pushing for a top 8 spot had they defeated us in round 4.

Also, we benefited from finishing in the bottom 6 last year which inevitably translated into an "easier" draw. Richmond benefited from this last year and were often accused of beating no one throughout the year as well, and yet they stepped it up when it mattered and won the flag.

Factually, it's not incorrect to say we're 1-6 against the current top 8 sides, but context is always required when we analyse these stats.

Firstly there is no easy draw but there are elements of random chance and probabilities caused by the Gods when you play opposition teams at full strength or when their backs are to the wall and they play like they're possessed by the devil. You do what you can to break the morale of the opposition and neautralise their weapons. Collingwood is only human unfortunately. We run out of bullets. Our reserves are empty. Thus we lose. Does it matter if it was a top four side or a bottom four side. What matters is we're sitting on 12 wins with our fate still in our own hands and expecting to get a couple of players back from injury next week.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:09 pm

We’re 1-3 the past month. We’re cooked.
Bay Pie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 pm

This thread is akin to the Callum Brown should replace Taylor Adams thread.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Yeah another shite thread.
A two point loss and it’s an inferred “we can’t beat them”? And we had so many screw ups gifting them goals? We can beat the swans and should have. They are not better than us. Same with the other teams we’ve lost to when hammered during the game by injuries.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 am

Dees could still miss the finals and we could end up 0-8 against top 8 if we lose to Port. Dees are also 0'fer against top 8 teams.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am

E wrote:
Dees could still miss the finals and we could end up 0-8 against top 8 if we lose to Port. Dees are also 0'fer against top 8 teams.

How about we beat Port. They drop out of the final eight and we still have a 0-8 record against the top 8 teams.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

^Now this thread has become fun! All the ways we can beat teams, possibly finish top 4 and yet still manage to have beaten no-one of substance
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

Tbh I think it's pretty unlikely that both Melbourne and Port will miss out (and even if they did, it would probably require North Melbourne, who we've beaten, to make it) – but fun to think about, nonetheless!
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

I reckon we’re about a 7-9 team which is a long what from where we were last year. If that’s the case then our record is pretty close and it’s a quirk if the draw that we’ll finish 3-5.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Haff wrote:
I reckon we’re about a 7-9 team which is a long what from where we were last year. If that’s the case then our record is pretty close and it’s a quirk if the draw that we’ll finish 3-5.

Before the Brisbane game we were 6th which is about right for our deserved position (although you could argue we deserved to beat Sydney which would've had us 3rd). Prior to rd 21 we had played Richmond, Carlton, Essendon twice and on balance that is a fair draw (ie. fair but not a dream run). The benefit of our favourable draw really only comes with the return games against Brisbane and Fremantle...

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Well you manic depressives can twist stats any way you like, but we are in the 8 and in the fight for a top 4 berth. If some of you don't rate our performances this year, then I suggest you follow another team. I went to school in Richmond and have several old friends who are Tigers supporters, and I can tell you this for a fact - they have each told me Collingwood is the ONLY team they are worried about facing in the finals.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm

^ Yes, I would imagine that it is the Magpies that most other final 8 side supporters would fear to play (along with Richmond). Despite our injuries, we just keep coming...
Crazypie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

We also just (2pts) lost to swans after buddy kicking a huge bag with no key defender on him up at the SCG.

Yesterday swans had a kkp player go down in the second and they still beat the Dee's at the MCG...

We're doing better and a better team than the Dee's. I'd be more worried for than the Dee's not beating a top 8 side than us...

We have got the right game plan if we get the right opposition just not tall opposition.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 pm

To be honest, I'm getting tired of hearing about this already!!

I joined Nick's only in the last few years when the Pies weren't performing very well or simply weren't good enough. I figured seeing as this is supposed to be board full of Collingwood supporters that once we turned things around and started playing well again, that the vitriol and hysteria would settle down. BUT ...finally we're exactly the team that we've all been waiting and hoping for and STILL our own supporters are nitpicking, finding myriad ways to tear us down and pick apart their own team!! I know that life can be boring when you're content -- even if you don't realise you're happy -- but seriously ENOUGH already! You run the risk of sounding like malcontents or at worst case, borderline neurotic.

Let's run through the gamut of a side sitting just outisde the top 4 shall we?: "we haven't beaten anyone in the top 8" (which is an ever changing proposition) or "we're cooked" or "we're picking the wrong players" or "let's make 12 changes to a pathetic injury plagued side that lost to the reigning premiers by 4 goals".

It's almost got a gloating tone to it. Like some people are getting aroused at the idea of us failing. Maybe ask yourselves whether you actually support this club or not?
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

SwansWay wrote:
To be honest, I'm getting tired of hearing about this already!!

I joined Nick's only in the last few years when the Pies weren't performing very well or simply weren't good enough. I figured seeing as this is supposed to be board full of Collingwood supporters that once we turned things around and started playing well again, that the vitriol and hysteria would settle down. BUT ...finally we're exactly the team that we've all been waiting and hoping for and STILL our own supporters are nitpicking, finding myriad ways to tear us down and pick apart their own team!! I know that life can be boring when you're content -- even if you don't realise you're happy -- but seriously ENOUGH already! You run the risk of sounding like malcontents or at worst case, borderline neurotic.

Let's run through the gamut of a side sitting just outisde the top 4 shall we?: "we haven't beaten anyone in the top 8" (which is an ever changing proposition) or "we're cooked" or "we're picking the wrong players" or "let's make 12 changes to a pathetic injury plagued side that lost to the reigning premiers by 4 goals".

It's almost got a gloating tone to it. Like some people are getting aroused at the idea of us failing. Maybe ask yourselves whether you actually support this club or not?

dude, i am the author of this thread. This is not a put Collingwood down thread. Its a funny fact is all it is. Relax.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: