Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many weeks for Gaff?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks. Punch was aimed low, no doubt he was taking a full whack and probably wanted to smash him in the ribs, but Brayshaw lowered his body and copped it in the face. Not saying he didn’t want to belt him because he did but I would say he wasn’t trying to smash his jaw in.

Which makes it different to the Hall one where he turned around and threw a high punch right at Staker’s head.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Interesting discussion here:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stopping-further-gaffs-the-case-for-red-cards-in-the-afl-20180806-p4zvq5.html

I'm not totally opposed to red cards, and the argument in this case makes sense – but I'd only want it to be for extreme acts like this, not just applied willy-nilly to any old reportable offence, as the consequences for a mistaken call would be very serious for the team in question.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Too many stagers, David
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/wa-police-taking-an-interest-in-andrew-gaffs-jaw-breaking-punch-on-andrew-brayshaw-ng-b88919161z
think better 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm

At least 8 weeks probably closer to 12

Imagine if the video review was around in Lethal's day I don;t reckon he would have been on the field very often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3usWhXxITA

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm

David wrote:
I don't think it was worse than Hall's punch. Maybe an extra week for impact, so 8 instead of Hall's 7 (or just 7 because of his good record compared to Hall's poor one)? I don't think we need to get hysterical over this, though (life bans, etc.). It was a terrible thing to do, but it was also out of character and he's obviously remorseful. Give him a fair whack (so to speak) and move on.

Walters should get at least 2 weeks too for his square-up.

agree with all. including the square up.

its just terrible what the kid is going through,
several factors:

it was a long way from the ball, Brayshaw was trying to block him, is that a legitimate tactic? (and im not victim blaming, but the AFL need to stamp out the stupid niggles, ala geeelong and hawthorn tactics)

not like Barry hall as hall literally thumped him with no warning, and aimed high Hall was never apologetic about anything he ever did

I too believe Gaff was genuinely remorseful, this should not effect sentencing, but certainly the out there opinion that he is a thug.

also should not effect sentencing Brayshaws mothers tears, although i cried with her. Its not Gaffs fault her other son has concussion problems and she needed hypnotherapy to get over it. trial by media is out of control.

The reaction of the westcoast crowd: i have often resorted to google when one of ours goes down as at the ground unless you see it happen in front of you, you dont know about it because they dont always replay it. Play did not stop when Brayshaw went off. all the eagles fans knew is there was a clash and then the whole freo team spent the rest of the game trying to kill him!

red card. hmm. i agree too many stagers.

the AFL needs to stop the jumper punches - i clearly remember that dirty cat player hawkins claiming that one, when his hand slipped?? and he got the guy in the face, stop the kidney punches, the touch ups, its all bullshit and i hate our players doing it. i dont mind a bit of a shoulder shove but thats it.

truth is if Brayshaw didnt fend off an illegal distance from the ball, he probably wouldnt be in hospital. It still doesnt justify the force of the punch, but gees who was that freo player that drove players to distraction? pushed them into getting agro? just stop that crap.

6 weeks. or maybe 7 just in case they make the granny. Remorse? He is getting killed in the media, loss of the Brownlow, finals, Premiership, contract? but does that matter? hes going to have to live with this, and he honestly, to me, looked destroyed.

It shouldnt have happened, and the AFL need to make damn sure it doesnt any more, the tribunal is still a chook lotto.

interesting info about one of the westcoast powers that be, got a local team chucked out the comp because his sons jaw got broken in a game. this is far from over.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm

think better wrote:
At least 8 weeks probably closer to 12

Imagine if the video review was around in Lethal's day I don;t reckon he would have been on the field very often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3usWhXxITA

same as rhys jones,

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 pm

A completely disgusting act. To me it's as bad or potentially worse than the Hall hit. A six week suspension should be the absolute minimum. I expect he'll get more. Imagine how we'd feel if this had been done to Stephenson?

Intent: I'd like to think he was trying to do something other than he did, but the footage doesn't strongly support that. Unless he has an extremely compelling explanation it has to be seen as intentional.

Gaff's character: may be a great guy, doesn't change what he did.

Remorse: easy after the fact. If he was really remorseful he should have sat out the game.

Provocation by Brayshaw: irrelevant. Niggling or verbal abuse is not an excuse, or even worth considering as mitigation, for that level of violence. Niggling happens all the time, this type of cowardly attack is seen a few times a decade.

Red cards: yes, there has to be. It's ridiculous that Gaff was allowed to play on after that. Staging is easily combated, red carded returns to the field if the "injured" player does. They should be rare, probably reserved for off the ball incidents.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Geek wrote:
Too many stagers, David

That’s the thing – I would hate to adopt the soccer model where you get yellows for minor infractions (e.g. general reports) and reds for debatable situations seconds after they occur. There should only be one card, and it should only be for deliberate malicious acts that cause serious injury. Perhaps as a safeguard, cards could be given at the end of the quarter, or assessed by the emergency umpire within five minutes or so (in which case the player would be sent off at the next break in play rather than in the heat of the moment). Ultimately, the potential drawbacks probably outweigh the benefits, and you could absolutely trust the AFL to implement it badly. But I think it’s a worthwhile thing to consider, at least.

AN_Inkling wrote:
Remorse: easy after the fact. If he was really remorseful he should have sat out the game.

I doubt that would have been up to him, would it?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Sure it is. "Coach I'm not going back on".

I wouldn't say it's realistic to expect, but it would have shown real remorse if he was willing to negatively impact his team.

Ads7 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Perhaps a red/yellow card system implemented as below. Understand it would have its challenges but to me it makes no sense that a player can hit an opposition player for example, concuss them, and the offender’s team benefits during that game because other team is down a player.

Red card (immediate send off):
- actions that are currently reported
- staging behaviour (perhaps yellow card)
- intentional contact with umpire

Yellow card (2x yellow card per game = send off):
- time wasting tactics
- extensive umpire verbal abuse
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

think positive wrote:
Brayshaw was niggling him behind play too. The umpire should have stopped it. Not defending Gaff at all, just adding perspective.

Agree.

This was an accident/incident waiting to happen. No, it's not netball but this relentless scragging (jumper punches, trash talking etc.) of a players' opponent, even before the first bounce, should've been dealt with a few years ago.

Gaff will pay, big time, but it's unfortunate that a previously considered fair player was involved in the incident with Brayshaw.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Bugg's hit was rated as "high" impact and he got 6 weeks.

This surely has to be "severe" impact, so must be more than 6. Hall got 10 weeks for his (-3 for guilty plea). So, this will need to be up around 10 weeks.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Donny wrote:
think positive wrote:
Brayshaw was niggling him behind play too. The umpire should have stopped it. Not defending Gaff at all, just adding perspective.

Agree.

This was an accident/incident waiting to happen. No, it's not netball but this relentless scragging (jumper punches, trash talking etc.) of a players' opponent, even before the first bounce, should've been dealt with a few years ago.

Gaff will pay, big time, but it's unfortunate that a previously considered fair player was involved in the incident with Brayshaw.

I agree with your last bit too, will pay harder.

As for red cards, how about you put someone off, your off too? Unless it’s accidental

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Sorry, don't agree with you guys at all.

He needs a life ban & I hope he gets charged on top of that.

I don't GAF now nice a guy he is, he could've killed him!

Gutless coward!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: