Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Re-Shuffle for Big Sam

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. no stranger to defense Freo days is no stranger to defense Freo days ?
Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Yes HAL, i know you saw Mayne play FB in his Freo days
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 pm

What do you look like? Do you mind if I tell other people.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

At 188cm I don't see Mayne as a full back in any way shape or form. We still have options for mid sized backs despite the injuries, so I think wing or high half forward is Mayne's spot.

On McClarty, my impression is he can run but takes a while to accelerate and has a turning circle like the Queen Mary. He operates best in straight lines. He could be a good foil for Cox up forward as he does hit the contest hard and demands attention, but he could also reduce our up forward mobility. I'm undecided.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Play McLarty against Freo... not PA
Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 pm

You would'nt be calling for Mayne on the wing before the season started Stui, we all would have picked him forward or back before midfield. So you dont know what might happen. The guys played key position back before, and if ball goes to ground he will be handy as he is very mobile. Mayne is a Utility is is repaying us week by week. I made a thread about him potentially key forward with Cox and kicking a couple, but i was blown away by McLartys strength and ability to destroy packs. So ive changed my mind. I think Mayne is very similar player to Goldsack anyway

Cam, i reckon its fair now that Magden has had 2 games that McLarty also gets his 2 games. And then we assess what is wiser moving into the finals.

I reckon our forward line is more class than it is tenacity. We can really hurt richmond or whoever comes into our path with if we back McLarty. As long as our midfield keeps dominating well be ok. And Sier may just be a saviour in Treloars absence

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm

You're right about my view of Mayne in one regard, pre season based on last years exposed form, I didn't see him in the AFL side at all. I had Blair ahead of him.

He's proved me and a lot of others wrong and more power to him, but as long as his arse points south I can't see him as a KPP.

If I'm proven wrong again, so be it.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Don't like this at all. Would risk wrecking a forward line that is functioning very well. Madgen's doing well enough in defence and is a better type than McLarty: more agile, mature and composed with ball in hand, actually gets a bit of it. Particularly against Port we don't need another tall. Creating discontinuity just for the sake of it is madness.

Agree. If McLarty gets a game it will be at CHB replacing Madgen. Even if McLarty doesn't get a game it's good for Madgen because it puts pressure on him to keep performing or he'll lose his spot. We need to keep our options open with players on the list putting pressure on the senior 22 to avoid caplacency at this time of year.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Number 35 wrote:
Would love to see the combative Tyson Goldsack back Baz

I reckon he could do a job on Reiwolt if called upon, I think Mayne could be capable as well.

Mayne looking for a new spot at the moment with Aish back onthe wing

Unfortunately, Riewoldt destroyed Goldsack last season in one of Goldy’s only poor games.

This year, Riewoldt is better, and Goldsack is 6 months removed from an ACL with no games played.

Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:09 pm

So does this mean Langdon is now our Full-Back?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I could almost go with the idea of McClarty replacing Mihocek at CHF and him replacing Madgen down back, but when you put Mayne at full back I just have to say, whatever you're smoking, stop it.

You left out our reigning Copeland Trophy winner starting on the bench either with Aish and an out of form Phillips on the wings ahead of him.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Bringing in McLarty is one thing, changing the whole team structure is another completely and would not be smart in my opinion. I wouldn't mind trying the kid - thought we could have given him a game on spec last weekend actually - to give us another string to our bow come September (what do we do if Langdon or Magden go down?) but if he comes in in comes in at CHB / FB. I wouldn't have Greenwood off the HBF, I'd have him tagging so a pretty simple swap Magden for McLarty for mine. You don't have to drop Magden but I suspect if the ins are Howe and McLarty, the outs will include Magden.

I wouldn't bring McLarty in this week though with no Dixon, I'd give him a run against Freo.

- Ben
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am

Perhaps he should try an American accent and change his name to Sam McLarty Jr.?

With Reid out and Moore doubtful McLarty could well be critical come September up against an opposition with quality tall forward options and allow us positional flexibility.

Hell we clearly went in with a plan to drag Rance and Co. deep the last time we played Richmond so he could even be of use maximising this tacit if we manage to snare 4th.

Big ask to come into the side this late in the season I know but this kid is a warrior and I like the idea of throwing something at an opposition they haven't planned for and especially one we have beaten for sometime.

Chris Dawes did manage 3 goals in a final in 2008 (5th game) so it's not entirely without precedent.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:28 am

It might be a good idea to give McLarty a senior game in defence, before the finals arrive, so we can see how he goes, just in case he's needed in September.

However, I suspect that won't happen, especially with Howe returning, because our mid-sized defenders have been doing the job, and it makes for a very mobile and flexible defensive unit. The fact that McLarty has not been used in defence in the VFL this year, suggests he's unlikely to be used there in the seniors.

Atm, McLarty seems to be our reserve ruck/forward option, in the event of an injury/suspension to Grundy or Cox.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:54 am

A settled lineup is best going into the finals - the only introductions we should be making is players that have played most of the year coming in - Even if Reid or Elliot were available. I wouldn't even want Moore - he has a curse over him this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: