Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Flynn or Murray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm
Post subject: Flynn or MurrayReply with quote

Since there seems to be an increase of what / if topics as we draw closer to finals, I thought I would throw this one out.

It looks like Appleby will get three games ( or two plus match sim ) under his belt before finals start.
That being said, who would you rather have out there if it came down to only one of the two.

Appleby is far more defensive minded but I think he is ok in one on ones and generally competitive on the last line. Likely to concede less goals one on one than Murray but Applebys errors would hurt more because he would be closer to goal. Putting trust in Appleby possibly releases Maynard further up the ground too ( depending on opposition match ups )

Murray looks like a deer in the headlights, particularly when he is deep in the back half but does offer deep penetration into our forward 50 .. as long as he doesn’t pick out the oppositions sternum.
His errors don’t appear as costly because they occur further up the ground but good sides transition quickly and they just play over him on the way back and pick out his opponent. His metres gained are important but only if it’s to advantage and there in lies the dilemma in going with him.

I would probably still go with Murray because his errors should still be offset by the scoring chains he is likely to be involved in.

Having said that, I still think Appleby has more upside in years to come but that won’t help us in the next few weeks.

Thoughts on the above ?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyn. Better Defender and Better Ball User and More Upside
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Too late for Appleby. I wouldn't risk bringing back a fringe player this late. See Murray as the better option anyway.

If Treloar gets back there's a possibility neither play anyway. Sier may have taken their spot.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 pm

^ If a mid (Sier) takes their spot, who goes back into defence?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 pm

We already have six in defence without them:

Maynard, Madgen/Moore, Crisp
Langdon, Howe, Greenwood

The seventh would probably be Aish.

Our other option is to drop one of Greenwood/Sier/Varcoe for Treloar and I don't think that's very likely. This is all assuming he gets back which is no certainty.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Is there an option C?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:08 pm
Post subject: Re: Flynn or MurrayReply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Since there seems to be an increase of what / if topics as we draw closer to finals, I thought I would throw this one out.

It looks like Appleby will get three games ( or two plus match sim ) under his belt before finals start.
That being said, who would you rather have out there if it came down to only one of the two.

Appleby is far more defensive minded but I think he is ok in one on ones and generally competitive on the last line. Likely to concede less goals one on one than Murray but Applebys errors would hurt more because he would be closer to goal. Putting trust in Appleby possibly releases Maynard further up the ground too ( depending on opposition match ups )

Murray looks like a deer in the headlights, particularly when he is deep in the back half but does offer deep penetration into our forward 50 .. as long as he doesn’t pick out the oppositions sternum.
His errors don’t appear as costly because they occur further up the ground but good sides transition quickly and they just play over him on the way back and pick out his opponent. His metres gained are important but only if it’s to advantage and there in lies the dilemma in going with him.

I would probably still go with Murray because his errors should still be offset by the scoring chains he is likely to be involved in.

Having said that, I still think Appleby has more upside in years to come but that won’t help us in the next few weeks.

Thoughts on the above ?

Gee, Murray’s clangers look atrocious

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
We already have six in defence without them:

Maynard, Madgen/Moore, Crisp
Langdon, Howe, Greenwood

The seventh would probably be Aish.

Our other option is to drop one of Greenwood/Sier/Varcoe for Treloar and I don't think that's very likely. This is all assuming he gets back which is no certainty.

I agree that’s probably as good a back six that we could muster without either of them. ( although I really hope Goldy comes up )

One of my points about Appleby is that he seems comfortable on the last line ( for a 19 year old ) That’s such a tough gig. Shaw was a master at it and Goldy is pretty good on the last line too.
I somehow think one of F A or S M will be playing in Sept, hence the O P.

If Appleby can continue to improve, hold down a spot in the back pocket and release Maynard up the ground, that would be a good start to 2019.
Murray will also improve but I’m working on the fact that ( good ) last line defenders of Appleby’s type are hard to find.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Appleby without a doubt, but he needs to play VFL this week or he might've missed the boat.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm

The game Appleby got injured he looked very good. He's a more reliable kick than Murray and better at defending, while Murray can break lines. If I had to choose one over the other, I choose Appleby, but it's good for the team to put pressure on selection.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Appleby for mine. Murray's kicking is a major liability. Turnovers are the biggest source of goals against us, I am sure. More that we can limit those, the better.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 pm

I'll take Murray.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Murray. The only way we have a chance to impact the finals is to dare to be brave.
Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'll take Murray.

Me too

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Appleby. Murray is Jaxson Barham reincarnated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: