Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pulverise Port - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Like last week, where I gave him a vote, I wish I could have squeezed Levi into my votes again. Completely blanketed Wingard the whole game. Two weeks in a row he’s dominated the opposition’s best playmaker. I love this move by Buckley. Yes, it means we play a man down, but so do they, but there’s is an A grade playmaker.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:13 pm

A little something for P4S. Wink

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-08-18/langdon-explains-lockdown-role-on-gray

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 pm

More random thoughts as I watch the replay for the second time...

So many of our team have played so much VFL football together that they have an old school comraderie and experience playing together like in the old U/19 and Reserves days, where you’d play 1-3 seasons before senior selection.

Mayne, Mihocek, Aish, Madgen, Oxley, Sier, Scharenberg, Thomas, JDG, Daicos, Brown...they have played a lot of games together, so the connection and comeraderie is already there. As good as the ‘systems’ are, the connection and experience playing with each other can’t be underestimated as to why the “one out one in” philosophy is working so well.

As bad as this year’s injury toll has been, for next year and beyond, it’s a blessing (having said that, I’d rather be playing with our full compliment available).

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Damien wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Maynard was awesome.

Be interesting to see if anyone (eg De Goey) is managed for Freo game.

I'm off to the Melbourne v West Game this arvo.

I don’t think we can afford to rest anyone. Freo were humiliated yesterday and will be under the grill all week in Perth. Fyfe is back and at his best. We’ll need to be right on our game to beat them still. If it means we travel West two weeks in a row so be it. There is nobody in our side who’d struggle with that too much.

I have heard it may be Sandilands farewell game as well

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Farewell game or not, Freo will be looking at their end of season trip itineraries.

Pies by 47.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Farewell game or not, Freo will be looking at their end of season trip itineraries.

Pies by 47.

If their non effort against the cats is anything to go by, they're already on holiday!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm

The Oracle has spoken. You’re welcome, Leggie:

Raw Hammer wrote (in the pre game thread):

——-

My prediction:

Rain favours us.

Port are soft as donkey’s balls.

If it’s slippery, Pies by 39.

Ryder will struggle or be injured, Polec will damage his hamstring in the cold Melbourne wintry air, Houston will have big problems contending with our fleet footed brigade, and Watts will do SFA like he always does.

Grundy BOG.

——-

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Give the man a cigar

No!! Give him a carton

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm

^I sure hope so....

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:45 pm

They say you can’t negotiate an argument with terrorists, the same applies to one eyed sycophants. Save your strength for your family mate!
E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:14 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
So P4S is telling us he hasn't watched the game yet he was second to hand votes in the GB medal. Tell us old wise one how you know who played well and who didn't ? Just look at the stats did we ? Are they the same stats you say mean nothing when it proves Langdon is a below average defender ?

Ok back to the game people need to take a chill pill about our defence
It was lose as all hell today. Any time Port got a clean clearance and quick entry they scored easily.
First term they were 5-0 in centre clearances and they were up by 3 goals
When we then started to dominate the contests and clearances they hacked it forward with no plan.
You then have much more time for mids to get back and support which hey did very well
Port must have thought Gray was Cox the way they sat it on his head allowing other defenders to get over and help Langdon which is there job but don't make out he worked miracles on gray it just didn't happen like that. He didn't play on gray all day as it was and the time he did spend on him it was at best a break even which in fairness after last year when the brothers Gray kicked 6 on Langdon that's a massive win for us today.
All the defenders were decent today considering the inexperience in that line.
Finals are now a lock and a top 4 is ours of we can win next week
Go the pies

if you have to qualify your comment with the words "considering....." then you have already undermined your own statement. Oxley and Madgen were truly terrible. Not their fault. One is probably about 2 years from reaching his potential, the other is not AFL standard.

Langdon was so good again today. You continue to make yourself look very small by constantly trying to write off his wonderful work. As far as we know, the guy suffers from terrible knee problems and yet all he does is soldier on. He has been forced to play on guys bigger than him. Yesterday he did a really nice job on a DeGoey type talent. nullyfied the contest many many more times than he was beaten (and was quite dominant after quarter time in the one on ones). I love that you praise other defenders for helping Lagdon, but not once have i heard you praise langdon for returning the favor with the other players back there. He was also our most efficient player (i know you love to use stats). Simply put, he is a gun. And he plays for Collingwood. Time you accept it, embrace him, enjoy him or otherwise if you cant do that, just move on. I'm so tired of the efforts you go to in order to propagate lies about him.

E see this is the point you seem to constantly miss mate. My post is the balancing pout from the dribble sprayed about Langdon being the star of the side again yesterday. He was fine but he didn't play outstanding by any stretch. P4S made the comment about Gray and his 5 goals last year and only 1 yesterday. But again it's not apples for apples. Gray spent long periods of time isn't he midfield yesterday not forward so not kicking goals on Langdon is hard to do when his not your direct opponent. Last year Langdon was murdered but the brothers Gray. Do you believe our midfield had nothing to do with slowing down there ball movement and clearance work ? If you do then you need your eyes checked mate. Port by there own coaches appraisal ball entry into there 50 was horrible. They hacked it forward and put it on there mid sized players heads allowing our defenders time to leave there man and assist. Yes this included Langdon helping his team mates out as well. Watch the first term closely again. Gray was 10-15 in the clear on at least 6 occasions and his team mates couldn't or wouldn't kick it to him. Had they he could have had 4 or 5 by quarter time. Langdon didn't have the speed to go with him. That's not Langdon's fault he is being asked to play roles because ewe have no other options due to injury. Like Scharenberg was asked to do as well but was pillared by P4S about his lack of speed when behind his opponent.
Champion data rate any defender who has over 3 goals per game conceded by them on average as a below average defender. Langdon averages 3.34 goals conceded per game this season. Again the stats don't always tell the full story as hand over assignments may be missed by his team mates or other errors but it's still a telling stat. A defenders first job is to stop goals being scored right ? Langdon is our only player to average more than 2.5 goals per game conceded.
Like wise what's his DE by FOOT when attempting a pass over 20m ? They can train a seal to hit a ball with there nose 2 meters accurately so teach Langdon to handball it the same distance shouldn't pose much of a problem and that pads his overall DE when you read it. Just for the record here's the seasons stats for our defenders when attempting passes over 20m by foot for 2018
Scharenberg 83.4%
Dunn 78.4%
Crisp 76.1%
Howe 74.9%
Maynard 58.7%
Langdon 48.4%
A defenders second job is to clear the ball from the danger area as quickly and accurately as possible. Your opponent can't score if a defender hits a team mate 30m outside there attacking 50m zone
Langdon is being asked to play busted I acknowledge that and think it's unfair to be honest. He's doing his absolute best. I've never knocked his courage or willingness to do so but at times he's a deer in the headlights caught in no mans land.
If finals started next week we would play west coast over there and who would you want Langdon defending on Kennedy Darling or Lycett ? Because that's what awaits us as the ladder stands. Again not his fault he can't help who we play or where we play them.
But don't expect me to carry on like he's the next coming of Rance when the whole team defended like they did yesterday. He did his job but was far from outstanding IMO and was also far from the worst IMO as well.
He's playing with 3 guys who have played a total of 35 games between them. Oxley isn't a afl level defender that's been the case for years. Madgen and Murphy are miles away from us even knowing if they will make it.
Look you rate Langdon higher than me and I'm cool with that and you seem to have made it a pass time that every time I try to balance out the over hype about his game with some actual facts of denigrating the comments.
I'll defer to the experts on the matter go listen to the commentators from the 5 minute mark of the first term and there opinion of Langdon's performance on trying to play on Gray

Well at least you admit that you are only doing it to settle scores. I gotta give you that. I'd rather you were a little more truthful with yourself, but i've said many times that a lot of people here have a hard time evolving their opinions once they are formed. I mean look at the empty vessel. Hasnt evolved on any topic ever (and sadly, not that smart to begin with). Anyway, we digress ....

I find it funny that you have had to revert to season long stats on Langdon because his stats this weekend hurt your argument. Dont know why you want to fight fellow collingwood fans so hard about one of its stars.

Finally, Langdon has fairly unanimously been in our best 6-8 players for the past month. The rest of your argument is just fodder for empty vessels.

I hope you enjoy the finals that Langdon and the boys have delivered for you. I'll be enjoying all of them and hoping for the best.

I'll even say a small prayer that Beams is in black n white again next year for you, if you promise it will make you smile......

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Week three of our "hopeless" defensive line: 73, 73, 64. Hard to believe that a full strength defence could have done much better. Great credit to Mdgen in particular, being asked to do far more than should be expected. The mainstays in Crisp, Maynard and Langdon also continue to lift their games.

A truly sensational game. Took everything the Power could give and then buried them. Immense game from Grundy, another great performance from Adams with Sidebottom our next best through the middle. The 20 touches from Phillips were more telling than usual and kicked 2 nice goals.

The individual performance that I find most pleasing though is that of Mayne. This was his best game of the season and he has now gone past Aish and taken his spot on the wing. His extra size, strength in the contest and surety by foot means he is clearly the better option. His emergence this year has been so important and continues to grow.

I've seen a lot of comments like, "we can't play players like Mayne in finals", although they have dried up recently. I don't believe there's any single player that this can be fairly aimed at, but the players that do cop it are often the opposite, they usually lack high end skill or pace but have plenty of determination and stick to the role asked of them. They are the team players that bring a side together and are crucial to finals footy. Mayne has become that for us this year and even with a fully fit list, he'd be playing finals.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Mayne's 2018 is one of the most amazing stroylines of the year. I wonder what happened last year? Injury, personal issues? or just time to find his footing with a new team. Something was up with him. His game is epic right now. One of our best assets, and i completely agree that his game is precisely the game you need out there in the finals, especially given how many players out there are kids!!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I think what's happened with Mayne is fairly simple and a credit to him.

Freo had him pigeon holed as a defensive forward and that's what we thought when we got him. But as a defensive forward in our forward line, it just didn't work so we looked at other options while he languished in the VFL.

So, he re-invented himself over pre-season, dropped around 4kg and really worked on his running. After shining on the track with his running he was tried as a wing / High half forward in the VFL and it worked. So when Aish went down, Mayne came in and has stayed because he deserves to.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:05 pm

E wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
E wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
So P4S is telling us he hasn't watched the game yet he was second to hand votes in the GB medal. Tell us old wise one how you know who played well and who didn't ? Just look at the stats did we ? Are they the same stats you say mean nothing when it proves Langdon is a below average defender ?

Ok back to the game people need to take a chill pill about our defence
It was lose as all hell today. Any time Port got a clean clearance and quick entry they scored easily.
First term they were 5-0 in centre clearances and they were up by 3 goals
When we then started to dominate the contests and clearances they hacked it forward with no plan.
You then have much more time for mids to get back and support which hey did very well
Port must have thought Gray was Cox the way they sat it on his head allowing other defenders to get over and help Langdon which is there job but don't make out he worked miracles on gray it just didn't happen like that. He didn't play on gray all day as it was and the time he did spend on him it was at best a break even which in fairness after last year when the brothers Gray kicked 6 on Langdon that's a massive win for us today.
All the defenders were decent today considering the inexperience in that line.
Finals are now a lock and a top 4 is ours of we can win next week
Go the pies

if you have to qualify your comment with the words "considering....." then you have already undermined your own statement. Oxley and Madgen were truly terrible. Not their fault. One is probably about 2 years from reaching his potential, the other is not AFL standard.

Langdon was so good again today. You continue to make yourself look very small by constantly trying to write off his wonderful work. As far as we know, the guy suffers from terrible knee problems and yet all he does is soldier on. He has been forced to play on guys bigger than him. Yesterday he did a really nice job on a DeGoey type talent. nullyfied the contest many many more times than he was beaten (and was quite dominant after quarter time in the one on ones). I love that you praise other defenders for helping Lagdon, but not once have i heard you praise langdon for returning the favor with the other players back there. He was also our most efficient player (i know you love to use stats). Simply put, he is a gun. And he plays for Collingwood. Time you accept it, embrace him, enjoy him or otherwise if you cant do that, just move on. I'm so tired of the efforts you go to in order to propagate lies about him.

E see this is the point you seem to constantly miss mate. My post is the balancing pout from the dribble sprayed about Langdon being the star of the side again yesterday. He was fine but he didn't play outstanding by any stretch. P4S made the comment about Gray and his 5 goals last year and only 1 yesterday. But again it's not apples for apples. Gray spent long periods of time isn't he midfield yesterday not forward so not kicking goals on Langdon is hard to do when his not your direct opponent. Last year Langdon was murdered but the brothers Gray. Do you believe our midfield had nothing to do with slowing down there ball movement and clearance work ? If you do then you need your eyes checked mate. Port by there own coaches appraisal ball entry into there 50 was horrible. They hacked it forward and put it on there mid sized players heads allowing our defenders time to leave there man and assist. Yes this included Langdon helping his team mates out as well. Watch the first term closely again. Gray was 10-15 in the clear on at least 6 occasions and his team mates couldn't or wouldn't kick it to him. Had they he could have had 4 or 5 by quarter time. Langdon didn't have the speed to go with him. That's not Langdon's fault he is being asked to play roles because ewe have no other options due to injury. Like Scharenberg was asked to do as well but was pillared by P4S about his lack of speed when behind his opponent.
Champion data rate any defender who has over 3 goals per game conceded by them on average as a below average defender. Langdon averages 3.34 goals conceded per game this season. Again the stats don't always tell the full story as hand over assignments may be missed by his team mates or other errors but it's still a telling stat. A defenders first job is to stop goals being scored right ? Langdon is our only player to average more than 2.5 goals per game conceded.
Like wise what's his DE by FOOT when attempting a pass over 20m ? They can train a seal to hit a ball with there nose 2 meters accurately so teach Langdon to handball it the same distance shouldn't pose much of a problem and that pads his overall DE when you read it. Just for the record here's the seasons stats for our defenders when attempting passes over 20m by foot for 2018
Scharenberg 83.4%
Dunn 78.4%
Crisp 76.1%
Howe 74.9%
Maynard 58.7%
Langdon 48.4%
A defenders second job is to clear the ball from the danger area as quickly and accurately as possible. Your opponent can't score if a defender hits a team mate 30m outside there attacking 50m zone
Langdon is being asked to play busted I acknowledge that and think it's unfair to be honest. He's doing his absolute best. I've never knocked his courage or willingness to do so but at times he's a deer in the headlights caught in no mans land.
If finals started next week we would play west coast over there and who would you want Langdon defending on Kennedy Darling or Lycett ? Because that's what awaits us as the ladder stands. Again not his fault he can't help who we play or where we play them.
But don't expect me to carry on like he's the next coming of Rance when the whole team defended like they did yesterday. He did his job but was far from outstanding IMO and was also far from the worst IMO as well.
He's playing with 3 guys who have played a total of 35 games between them. Oxley isn't a afl level defender that's been the case for years. Madgen and Murphy are miles away from us even knowing if they will make it.
Look you rate Langdon higher than me and I'm cool with that and you seem to have made it a pass time that every time I try to balance out the over hype about his game with some actual facts of denigrating the comments.
I'll defer to the experts on the matter go listen to the commentators from the 5 minute mark of the first term and there opinion of Langdon's performance on trying to play on Gray

Well at least you admit that you are only doing it to settle scores. I gotta give you that. I'd rather you were a little more truthful with yourself, but i've said many times that a lot of people here have a hard time evolving their opinions once they are formed. I mean look at the empty vessel. Hasnt evolved on any topic ever (and sadly, not that smart to begin with). Anyway, we digress ....

I find it funny that you have had to revert to season long stats on Langdon because his stats this weekend hurt your argument. Dont know why you want to fight fellow collingwood fans so hard about one of its stars.

Finally, Langdon has fairly unanimously been in our best 6-8 players for the past month. The rest of your argument is just fodder for empty vessels.

I hope you enjoy the finals that Langdon and the boys have delivered for you. I'll be enjoying all of them and hoping for the best.

I'll even say a small prayer that Beams is in black n white again next year for you, if you promise it will make you smile......

E, you're one of the most balanced people on here and I'm beginning to appreciate that quality more and more. I can't remember who "the empty vessel" is but you came to my defence against him a few weeks ago. Sadly he's all mangled up in my memory with a cadre of others of similar ilk. A fitting proverb for the Internet age especially. We're all for robust discussion and rational disagreement and things can get heated as we're all hopefully passionate Pies supporters that all have one thing in common. So yes, opinions must evolve. Not enough do; or at least not timely enough. I don't care about people who disagree so long as it's based on something empirical and self-evident. But I can't abide some players who never get credit where credit is due. And objectively so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: