Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sam Murray - Free to play in 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

.......nada............
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

The thing is, we don't know if it was a death in the family. That's just unconfirmed speculation. I've read it was an aunt and read it was a grandmother.

We don't know and don't need to.

If, for example, he was having some mental health issues, rang the coach and said I've had a panic attack, I need to speak to someone, I can't play this week, the coach isn't going to breach his privacy by giving us details unless Sam agreed.

There is legislation which carries severe penalties for those that disclose medical records without a proper purpose, or without consent. I don't know what the standard AFL contract says about those issues, but the privacy issue doesn't apply to AFL footballers in the same sense as it does to the rest of the community. Which other group in the community has their medical records broadcast every week?

Ever since Buckley made his comment, without providing a reason, the mental health issue has been the elephant in the room. If the issue is the death of a relative, it seems strange that it was not stated at the time. I take your point that we don't know and don't need to know, but I have been involved in sporting clubs over many years and that sort of thing (death) has never been a secret. The support of team mates and club supporters has been something that helps the family in those circumstances. I have seen that in the last two weeks at a local sports club level.

Whatever the sport, whenever the public comment is "there is a reason but we are not telling you" it leads to speculation. Always has, always will. I could list many examples but won't bore you.

Personally, in this case and from a football point of view all I care about is that it gave Murphy his opportunity and he looks like he is a keeper. As I said above, Murray was entitled to make a decision, whatever the reason was. As a result of that decision it has kick started the career of a rival for his position. Who knows what that will mean to him in the future.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:47 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:
What seems to be the issue is that fact that Murray made the calls to Bucks and told him he wasn't playing. I am sensing that folks are getting riled over the method and not the reason. This is why i think things could have been handled better. For Buckley to come out and say that Murray called and said he wasn't available instead of "Sam called me this week and advised that there had been a death in the family so Sam is taking a leave of absence" has caused the issue.

Could of been handled better, for mine.

Agreed. Had that been said, this thread would not exist. It's hard to be critical of Buckley though. He constantly has a microphone poked under his nose and people with far more intelligence than him make mistakes in those circumstances. I really enjoyed his blunder on the Lynch saga though as when I heard it I thought that it would anger Lynch and if that is the reason that he selects Richmond as his club we have dodged a bullet and owe Buckley a thank you.

There would just be a different thread querying the closeness of the family death.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 pm

There is legislation which carries severe penalties for those that disclose medical records without a proper purpose, or without consent. I don't know what the standard AFL contract says about those issues, but the privacy issue doesn't apply to AFL footballers in the same sense as it does to the rest of the community. Which other group in the community has their medical records broadcast every week?

The legislation covers only medical professionals, though, right? For that group, I'd be happy if it did carry severe penalties, but does it? What are the penalties?? Does anyone know?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:
What seems to be the issue is that fact that Murray made the calls to Bucks and told him he wasn't playing. I am sensing that folks are getting riled over the method and not the reason. This is why i think things could have been handled better. For Buckley to come out and say that Murray called and said he wasn't available instead of "Sam called me this week and advised that there had been a death in the family so Sam is taking a leave of absence" has caused the issue.

Could of been handled better, for mine.

Agreed. Had that been said, this thread would not exist. It's hard to be critical of Buckley though. He constantly has a microphone poked under his nose and people with far more intelligence than him make mistakes in those circumstances. I really enjoyed his blunder on the Lynch saga though as when I heard it I thought that it would anger Lynch and if that is the reason that he selects Richmond as his club we have dodged a bullet and owe Buckley a thank you.

There would just be a different thread querying the closeness of the family death.

sad but true unfortunately.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 pm

K wrote:

The legislation covers only medical professionals, though, right? For that group, I'd be happy if it did carry severe penalties, but does it? What are the penalties?? Does anyone know?

No, it covers both health service providers and any entity that collects, holds or uses health information. That would include a football club. That's why I raised the query about the player's contractual status in terms of consent to tell those outside the club about their injuries. VCAT can award compensation of up to $100k and the party at fault can also be prosecuted and fined.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

It was simply the bemused reaction of Bucks in explaining the phone call he got from Murray, which prompted me to start this thread.

Whatever his reason for pulling out of the side is, he is certainly entitled to keep it private.

I just found the whole thing a bit odd that's all.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I agree regarding the privacy issue but I feel that there was a better way to handle it.

In: Murphy
Out: Murray (general soreness)

leave it at that. Bucks has almost invited the speculation, thus drawing attention to Murray, but saying what he said.

I can't help but feel there's more to it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:39 pm

The most disturbing thing about all of this is the spelling in the thread title.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The most disturbing thing about all of this is the spelling in the thread title.

.....would you prefer absinthe?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

.....would you prefer absinthe?

Because it maketh the heart grow fonder?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:45 pm

^

Not right now, more of a summer drink for me. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:11 am

Last comment from me on this, after a days reflection.

Clearly I mishandled my original post, and in retrospect I should not have commented at all. I love a good robust debate about issues, but this issue was sensitive and presumably personal, so I got it wrong. Wont be the first time, wont be the last. Filter reinforced.

Thanks to those who politely told me that I was out of line, and thanks to those who accepted my good faith, tried to deal with the intent behind what I wrote, and who defended me against some fairly personal stuff.

Whatever the issue is for the young man, hes a Collingwood footballer and already a success in life. Since weve never met and I am no one to him, I doubt it matters that I wish him well whatever it is, but I do wish him well and hope to see him back in the side soon.

Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 am

ronrat wrote:
To be honest this thread needs to be locked. before it descends into a bigger shitfight and because whatever Sam Murray has issues with his business and I am sure the club doesn't want, need or deserve idiots turning up on his door asking for comment.

Ditto on the above

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Last comment from me on this, after a days reflection.

Clearly I mishandled my original post, and in retrospect I should not have commented at all. I love a good robust debate about issues, but this issue was sensitive and presumably personal, so I got it wrong. Wont be the first time, wont be the last. Filter reinforced.

Thanks to those who politely told me that I was out of line, and thanks to those who accepted my good faith, tried to deal with the intent behind what I wrote, and who defended me against some fairly personal stuff.

Whatever the issue is for the young man, hes a Collingwood footballer and already a success in life. Since weve never met and I am no one to him, I doubt it matters that I wish him well whatever it is, but I do wish him well and hope to see him back in the side soon.

Terrific Mugwump. It's a rare thing these days for anyone to publicly acknowledge their mistakes. Not that I'd know as I never make any! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 7 of 39   

Jump to: