Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down Dockers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of players in our side haven’t played a final. I imagine quite a few lost a little bit of focus on this week when we clinched the spot last week. I think the team as a whole will be much better next outing, so I just wouldn’t worry about how tough it was to get the win yesterday.

That said, the defence was fantastic again. Opposition forward lines have managed 10 goals on average against us in the last 4 games. Given how undersized we were again against Freo - and given the height of their forwards - that was a good result. I was actually more concerned when the ball hit the ground - Ballantyne seemed to show up a bit of a lack of foot speed in our medium defenders. Still, Freo kicked 5 goals in 6 minutes and 4 goals for the other 114, so that was another job well done.

The great players do the hard things when it matters, though, don’t they? That game turned 4 minutes before the end of the third quarter with the 2-goal play that saw Freo nailed when they looked to be running it in for a lead and then the ball was just whisked away for a goal at the other end. And if the siren had gone 2 seconds later for 3-quarter time, the last quarter would have been easier to watch.

The only change required desperately at the back is to get Oxley out of the team. He just can’t influence a contest and since that’s the only thing that matters from now, he must go. A bit more pace in the midfield would be great but it’s hard to see that happening unless Treloar gets back.

Anyway, a good end to a solid enough home and away season. Given our difficulties against the better teams this year, a finals win in week 1 or 2 would be a great achievement by the players, who have worked very hard to cover the loss or unavailability of some of our very best.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am

Freo were desperate and played backs to wall footy against us and we did fumble a bit under pressure but so would have most of finalists

So with a less than good game which we won as a good side does bring on September

Big task going back west if that eventuates

Looking back to season start finals were a big hurdle with making them dubious but a double chance many would not have hung their hats on so credit to Bucks and the new coaching group and players —-however cards fall we are heading for a flag in the near future—maybe not 2018 but I can taste it

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 am

The Fremantle Doctor
Blows winds of content East
Buckleys Spring emerges

Haiku Bob inspired

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 am

Interesting on Game Day and Geelong was discussed—230 points in two games but Cooney said Not bruising encounters which he commented it is better to have to ready yourselves

Well we had just that —the Grund especially was looking a tad sore

Reckon this break will help some players

ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

I don't care if we win every game in same way as today - as long as we win - and that includes the GF - a win is a win......no need to worry about percentage if you win every game particularly in the finals...
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 pm

A win personified by guts and determination. Personally, I would prefer to go into finals with a couple of solid wins, particularly hard fought wins, than Geelong's situation of cruising through. Hard fought wins breeds character and instills a belief that persistence pays.
Ironically, there is still a lot of football left to determine the final four. The permutations from the Lions v Eagles clash are many and varied. Anything other than a win to the Eagles and the margin will determine the final four positions.

As for the game, it looked like we thought it would all fall into place for us. Even Pendles said that after the first three goals "We're on today". Our buys were all down and it appeared that they were going through the motions to some extent. It was a true test of character and pleasing to see that they could find a way to win - against the odds.

I admire those of you that post through the game, I'm usually so engrossed by the game that I am far from coherent enough to muster a reasonable post.

What I did take from the game was that James Aish is clean and seems to know where to position himself to find the ball. He can also stick a tackle. His size belies his tackling strength.

Shout out to "The Pig" for that goal-saving tacking on the last line to literally save the game.

I though Josh Thomas has been particularly poor the past two weeks, but credit where it's due, he has managed to kick clutch goals for us and the opportune time.

Speaking of credit where credit's due, Langdon has been huge these past few weeks. I would hate to imagine where we would have been without him down back.

And does anyone else get the feeling that Sier is going to be a big time player? I have this overwhelming feeling that comes finals he will explode! I hope that I'm right.

Anyway, I am pleased that we have secured top 4 and that the everyone gets a week off for some R&R. I feel that Grundy, in particular, needs it.

Floreat Pica!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Just watched the last quarter again, and just wanted to comment on how enormous both Mihocek and Sier were. Two very inexperienced AFL players who were both critical in forging a path to victory.
This game was a great dress rehearsal for a final. While Fremantle's skills were not first class, their pressure was. For us, this game had to a considerable extent the significance of a final. The response of Sier and Mihocek under this kind of pressure was just outstanding, and indicates that both well and truly have the capacity to be effective in a final.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm

I remember the Swans winning 3 or 4 by 100 pts in the last part of a season with Capper still there. And went boom boom out in straight sets.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 pm

A win is a win is a win. The last round is often one with upsets as non-finals teams often throw caution to the wind and have a crack to give themselves something to build on in the off-season. The Bulldogs nearly beat the Tigers too. But we did what we needed to do to get the win.

Is it just me or does Mihocek remind anyone (of the old timers on Nicks) of Craig Davis. He's not fast, but is strong bodied, with a great pair of hands, a terrific kick, and seems to pop up at the right time.

Sier is already an automatic best 22 player. We've been waiting for years for exactly his type, and he is delivering beyond expectations. I love the way he uses his strength to stand up in tackles and still get his handball out. I reckon he'll love playing finals.

De Goey and WHE should both benefit from the week off as they have clearly been playing sore. Stephenson will no doubt enjoy a rest as well.

I didn't see the VFL, but at least Goldy got through the game. I'm not sure he'll be ready for our first final, but I hope he is, as we need someone to replace Oxley. I know some have criticised Murphy's game, but I thought he stood up (despite cramp) in the last quarter, and he is quite courageous the way he backs into packs.

Mayne had his quietest game for a while, but hopefully he'll bounce back for the finals.

Clearly Howe will come in to replace Oxley, but that might be our only change. Both Treloar and Goldy might be penciled in for the Prelim - assuming we get there.

Overall, Bucks deserves to be congratulated by ALL supporters for the way he has managed our team this year, in the face of an horrific injury run. We are top 4 and all othe finalists will be shitting themselves at the prospect of facing the rampaging Magpies.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:10 pm

^^On Mayne being quiet: copped a knock and only played 54% of game time. Hopefully both he and WHE are ok for the first final.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 pm

I second Rude Boy.

Bucks I dips me lid to ya and as Rick said to Louie

“This could be the start of a beautiful friendship (finals)”

ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Maybe Murphy goes out and Oxley stays - Oxley played ok yesterday - as did Murphy but I feel Oxley is a bit more mature. Howe is a yes.

Someone is going to be stiff if Treloar comes up also - Mayne has been too good to drop. Josh Thomas hasn't been fantastic the last few weeks but is just too dangerous and good to drop. Varcoe was a bit lost yesterday but provided pressure. And you can't drop Sier !! so who will it be?

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 pm

ROB wrote:
Maybe Murphy goes out and Oxley stays - Oxley played ok yesterday - as did Murphy but I feel Oxley is a bit more mature. Howe is a yes.

Someone is going to be stiff if Treloar comes up also - Mayne has been too good to drop. Josh Thomas hasn't been fantastic the last few weeks but is just too dangerous and good to drop. Varcoe was a bit lost yesterday but provided pressure. And you can't drop Sier !! so who will it be?

Howe replaces Oxley for me. Doubt that Treloar will be ready in 2 weeks. if he is, then yes, there is a dilemma. Not sure who makes way for him. Would not touch Sier. Can we gamble with Treloar in and Murphy makes way?? Then playing Greenwood and Varcoe down back?? Not sure, we'll be playing Weagles almost definitely given the scoreline at the Gabba. Howe takes Darling and Magden (with help from others when required) looks after Kennedy? Don't have alot of confidence in that match up, but would Murphy in as well assist in restraining Kennedy?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:31 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Is it just me or does Mihocek remind anyone (of the old timers on Nicks) of Craig Davis. He's not fast, but is strong bodied, with a great pair of hands, a terrific kick, and seems to pop up at the right time.

The way he plays reminds me most of either Earl Spalding at Carlton or Paul Dear at Hawthorn. Solid role player without being a star, hard body, reliable hands and good kick.

From Collingwood players, I'd say a more mobile Craig Stewart

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I like the Craig Davis comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: