Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dutton and the French au pair

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 pm
Post subject: Dutton and the French au pairReply with quote

Anyone been following this one? Semed like a bit of a storm in a teacup for me, although of course the idea of such decisions being made depending on whos mates with the immigration minister seems pretty screwed up. On the other hand, it did make me wonder why we have such harsh visa restrictions to begin with. Why is it so important that tourists not work?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

They have similar rules in just about every country.
There are tourist visas and there are work visas, and they are not the same.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 pm

^

Yep. despite the fact that we rely on backpackers on tourist visas to pick fruit and tend bars in FNQ, they don't pay tax

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 pm

It points to Dutton's hypocricy.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:18 am

Well yes, theres definitely that. Its not a good look for Dutton. And Im aware that most countries make this distinction. But why? Its not hard to just make them pay tax on their earnings, is it?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 am

Presumably every country feels that there is at least the risk that either jobs will be taken from citizens or money will flow out of the country. That's why every country restricts the number and circumstances of foreign workers. It's then not fair for those who follow all the rules and apply for work visas to have others deliberately or cluelessly jump past them by entering as tourists and then taking those jobs they did not properly apply for permission to take.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am

2 different parts to this question.

The reason Dutton is copping it is because the bloke who sent asylum seekers to Manus Island and deported Dusty's dad among others, is seen to use his discretion to let in people as a favour to a mate. That's the perception.

Why does just about every country have laws restricting temporary immigrants from working? It's a control mechanism to prevent the workforce being flooded with cheap unskilled labour who don't pay income tax.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:51 am

Why do birds sing?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 am

Can someone explain the tax thing to me? If its taken out by payroll, then does it matter whether the employee is a citizen or here for two weeks? Are there other laws preventing that from happening?

If the problem is unregulated cash-in-hand jobs, on the other hand, then these visa restrictions dont make much difference anyway as its all happening under the table and, indeed, youd think that theres more risk that non-working-visa-holding tourists will be taking those jobs.

Ks post makes a bit more sense, but Im still not sure how justified it is in economic terms. A tourist who gets a job is, in theory, earning money that they might take out of the country, but theyre also able to spend more money while theyre here and, if working, contributing production or services to the economy. To see that as a bad thing seems like an argument that unemployment can be good for the economy, which is pretty odd!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am

The tax is a circular argument. Because it's illegal to employ someone who doesn't have the right to work, you can't put them on the payroll only pay cash in hand.

The root cause reason why countries have restrictions on who can work is probably more about what K said. remember all the fuss about 457 visas and people allegedly coming in legally and under cutting employment conditions, taking unskilled jobs that Australians could have been doing.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 pm

It's now the Liberal party's "Au Pair gate"

Three "Au pairs" now privately allowed in by Dutton whe the Dep't provided strong advice to send them back due to high potential to overstay.

Many questions to anwser. Some of these include:

1. What role if any does Dutton's Child care business have in relation to the Aupairs?

2. Are the leaks coming from Morrison supporters to get back at Dutton's actions over Turnbull.

3. What does an AuPair do? (currently there is class action in the US by ? Au Pairs as opposed to Nannies)

3.1 Au pairs are not meant to work with underage kiddies but to work with / stay with a family where they might have say a schoolager learning say French and hence get a french speaking au pair to live with the family, get a bit of monies but be provided with food and lodgings as opposed to a Nanny who is employed to work with under age kids etc.

3.2. Au pairs are often exploited to do actual employment for under school agers and end up working 60-70 hrs of work instead

This is quite a complex issue.

4. This also goes to issues of ministerial accountability. Dutton and the Liberal / Coalition tactic of privacy and non disclosure means the govenrment has evaded responsibility of its behaviour. Dutton now says to his pals on 2GB he just used comons ence and will not say anything further.

5. Why is it common-sense to allow an au pair into Australia to work for a mate of Duttons (a QLD of all places ex copper) to Liberal party political donors , thank second cousig to polo playing Gil Mc Lachlan etc?
5.1 Why isn't it common sense to send peoplke form Manus to get medical treatment as soon as possible

Duttons hypocricy is as obvious as his resemblance to an undertaker

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm sick of people like you attacking honest, working-class Australians and their need for French au pairs. No invite to the polo for you!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:42 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What role if any does Dutton's Child care business have in relation to the Aupairs?

This is clutching at straws, I think, but it does seem weird that all these cases surround au pairs. Or is it possible that there are many other cases of selective judgement on Duttons part, and these are just the ones being run with for now?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:56 pm

^

Well, he's apparently been requested to use his discrtion to allow Chelsea Manning into the country. https://www.smh.com.au/national/us-leaker-chelsea-manning-barred-from-entering-australia-ahead-of-tour-20180830-p500qf.html

I'm sure it happens frequently. Him being asked that is.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:18 pm

Even Swanny is looking for an ask. Laughing

Quote:

@swandane
Hey Gil you got a contact for a mate of mine? His old man cant get back in the country for some $%$ed up reason and they could use your help. Much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: