Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Morrison Muppets rush announcement before 4 Corners!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 pm
Post subject: Morrison Muppets rush announcement before 4 Corners!Reply with quote

The Morrison Muppet Goverment has rushed an announcement for a Royal Commission to limit damage because of an explosive Four Corners on our shameful treatment of older people. Much of this is due to deregulation, lack of proper resourcing and essentially putting profit before care in the Aged Care Sector.

Sunday 16 September 2018

"....Prime Minister Scott Morrison will announce the dramatic measure on Sunday, as figures show complaints about the sector have skyrocketed and authorities have forcibly closed one aged-care service a month since a crackdown triggered by the Oakden nursing home scandal..."

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/pm-calls-royal-commission-into-aged-care-after-inexcusable-failures-20180915-p5040n.html

Monday 17 September 2018:

Who Cares?

"They're all someone's mum, someone's dad, someone's brother, someone's sister. They were all young once and they're just forgotten."

On Monday Four Corners launches the first of a two-part special investigation into the treatment of the elderly in aged care homes.

In the ABC's biggest crowdsourced investigation, we asked our audience to share with us their experiences of the aged care industry. More than 4,000 responded.

Many of those who have come forward are professionals who have extensive experience in the industry and are concerned by what they have seen.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/who-cares/10243888[/u]

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

On Friday the preview had me in tears, just remembering the awful fights I had with my Mums nursing home. Can only be a good thing this goes under the spotlight. Just $$%^%%$ atrocious the behaviour shown by some of the staff. I remember thinking if this is how they treat her while Im here, what the hell else is going on.

My father in law is in a centre thats like a hotel, gorgeous, fancy rooms, good meals, but the residence look so sad and bored. I wanted a different on3 for him, not so fancy, but lively. Less depressing. Im already planning for when I need somewhere, dont want to leave it for chance. Id rather be dead than end up in such depressing surrounds

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:27 am

The LNP had to be dragged into a RC into the Banks and the same into the Aged Care Industry. The result will be the same, they will be taking out their mates. The sector is a disgrace as it's about profits rather than care. Having witnessed my late Fathers time in aged care all I can say I will knock myself off before I ever go into one. I wouldn't put my dog in one. If you speak up your seen as a trouble maker and they move you out or get you doped up. One of the many times when we there was a Gastro outbreak it was discovered that one of the cheap labour hired staff was washing soiled underwear in the kitchen sink. It was a regular occurrence and when seeking that they be audited the auditors would contact them and say we will be in this day to audit you. Some of the meals came down to a budget which I found out was $2.50 per resident per meal. The slop served up made pet food look first class. One time I go in and for lunch he had a party pie and sausage roll. I had an argument with the facility as Dad wanted poached eggs for breakfast and they said no as the chef could not cook them. I fired angrily back, "well he's not a chef nor a chef's a hole then". I soon discovered that chef was the owners brother in law. After numerous run ins we were basically labelled trouble makers and forced to change facilities. Moved to another which had better care but the same thing, profits ahead of care. Cheap Labour, Nurse to non English speaking staff ratios out of control and basically non of those staff would have any idea about basic first aid. I don't know what a RC will fix as unless these Companies make a huge profit they won't be interested in owning these cash cows. It's a growing industry but the workers are paid a pittance whilst the Companies are making mega bucks. As I said, I will kill myself rather than enter one.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am

How much do they charge? It sounds horrific.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 am

K wrote:
How much do they charge? It sounds horrific.
It's 85% of your Pension. Plus a RAD Residential Accommodation deposit in many cases as you have had to sell the home, could be 1/2 a million dollars which goes back to your estate less fees but they collect the interest. It's easy money.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 am

In what way do I sound like that?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 am

Culprit wrote:
... If you speak up your seen as a trouble maker and they move you out or get you doped up. ....

Doping people up is basically like assault and should be banned. It's a disgrace.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am

K wrote:
Culprit wrote:
... If you speak up your seen as a trouble maker and they move you out or get you doped up. ....

Doping people up is basically like assault and should be banned. It's a disgrace.
They dope them up enough to keep them alive to keep the money rolling in.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am

Aged Care is regulated by Federal legislation which means the states are limited in what they can do.

Apart from hiring cheap staff (where possible) to maximise profit, it's just not an attractive industry to work in. It tends to get the leftovers, the Nurses and other support staff who can't cut it in an acute setting so their only option is aged care. There are some clinicians who are very good and passionate about wanting to provide the best outcomes, but they're in the minority.

I don't think lack of funding is the problem (It may be) as the government funds about 70%, but the combination of low quality staff and profit first mentality.

I'll put the shotgun under my chin before I'll go into one of those places.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
Aged Care is regulated by Federal legislation which means the states are limited in what they can do.

Apart from hiring cheap staff (where possible) to maximise profit, it's just not an attractive industry to work in. It tends to get the leftovers, the Nurses and other support staff who can't cut it in an acute setting so their only option is aged care. There are some clinicians who are very good and passionate about wanting to provide the best outcomes, but they're in the minority.

I don't think lack of funding is the problem (It may be) as the government funds about 70%, but the combination of low quality staff and profit first mentality.

I'll put the shotgun under my chin before I'll go into one of those places.

It is mate, it is. The lack of funding is not the only issue

We need quotas / ratios, we need trained staff, we need to re-regulate the industry. We need transparency. The better aged care places are ones that have as much public access as possible.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

The way I look at the Facilities are taking money from the people's pension which is paid by the Federal Government. They receive subsidies from the Federal Government. The Federal Government need to fully regulate everything involved. The trouble is so many things cross over into the States responsibilities and the States do not receive the capital to cover their input. It's a complete cluster fck. When I had issues with my Dad, I was told no that's a Federal Issue, then I go to them and was told it was a State issue. The left hand does not talk to the right hand. Had it not been for Dad being an ex MP and using his Political contacts I would have ended up like everyone else and that would be going in circles.

Amazingly when I was younger Dad had to come to School and talk to the Principle as I was naughty. 40 years later I am in a nursing home talking to the manager as Dad was naughty. I have no doubt due to his mental issues that he was a problem and in saying that the majority of staff are not trained to deal with people, they are trained to sweep floors. I will also add, many people just dump their parents in their and forget about them. It's an absolute disgrace.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 am

There's talk of having cameras in these places. Of course, that may help prevent the physical assaults that have made the news, but not with all the other problems.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Details about the royal commission.

https://agedcare.health.gov.au/announcement-of-royal-commission-into-aged-care-quality-and-safety

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:39 pm

It's all pretty sad. I hope that, with nine kids, my parents at least will have somewhere decent to stay in their later years. To think that this is the fate that awaits most of us...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm

This is interesting, by the way a rejoinder against some of the politicking around this issue:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2018/09/17/morrison-is-right-on-aged-care-funding-reports-of-cuts-are-fiction/

Quote:
Morrison is right on aged care funding: reports of cuts are fiction
Bernard Keane

Lets hit the nail on the head early on a key claim that is already being widely circulated about the aged care sector. Its one that is likely to continue to be spread despite the governments efforts to get ahead of Four Corners tonight with a preemptive royal commission. And its completely wrong: this government did not cut $1.2 billion from aged care funding.

Its pretty easy to check. In Labors last budget in 2013, residential care funding as distinct from home or community or flexible care, the other categories of aged care funding was $8.3 billion and forecast to rise to $10.1 billion in 2016-17. The 2017-18 budget shows how much funding the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison/watch-this-space government actually spent on residential care in 2016-17: $10.9 billion. That is, the Coalition spend nearly $1 billion more than Labor forecast. And that rose to $11.4 billion in the year just ended.

This years budget papers annoyingly combine residential and home care numbers (a key strategy in aged care is keeping people out of residential care and in their own homes as long as possible), but the combined total still increases by another $800 million this year.

No cut. Of any kind. Zero. Zip. Nada.

The cut allegedly made by the Coalition was in the 2015 Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook and the 2016 budget, which totaled $1.67 billion. The Parliamentary Library describes it here. That was a change to the Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI), which is the assessment tool used to determine which care category residents fall into and therefore how much subsidy the government provides for their care. It accounts for the bulk of residential aged care spending. Who makes the ACFI assessments on which subsidies are based? Residential care providers.

If you havent spotted the flaw in that system merely from the description of it, I have a Harbour Bridge-shaped nursing home to sell you. ACFI was being rorted by for-profit residential care providers by assessing people into more expensive categories than they needed to be. Moreover, they boasted about how much money they were making from it to investors. So the government stepped in and curbed the dramatic growth in ACFI funding. Ending rorting is not cutting funding.

Prior to 2016, aged care funding was a rare area of bipartisanship: the Gillard government had significantly altered aged care funding in the wake of the Productivity Commissions 2011 report. Unusually, Tony Abbott declined to exploit the issue politically, in effect creating a unity ticket with Labor going into the 2013 election.

As Michael Pascoe noted in 2016, the entire model of aged care funding is problematic when it provides incentives for providers not to improve the condition of their clients but simply meet minimum standards. Sure, nearly everyone who enters a nursing home is not looking at recovery and departure back into independent or assisted living, but there are a wide range of conditions experienced by the elderly that affect quality of life and remaining longevity and which are not amenable to a funding model that pays providers more the sicker they get.

That is, whatever the crimes, misconduct and corporate evil practised by individuals, non-profit and for-profit providers in the sector, the real issues are likely to be systemic and structural in nature every bit as much as failures of quality regulation processes, workforce problems and individual training, accreditation and remuneration practices.

All of these issues have been repeatedly addressed by inquiries over the last 20 years. How a royal commission, especially one adopting a highly legalistic approach, will add to the accumulated wisdom of parliamentary committees, eminent-person reviews and regular bureaucratic monitoring isnt at all clear. But the fact that Scott Morrison spent much of his media conference announcing a royal commission having to refute the funding cut lie doesnt augur well for a return to bipartisanship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: