Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:04 pm
Post subject: Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hateReply with quote

I looked this up, mostly for a joke.

The Future Captain’s 13 marks yesterday were the most ever by a Collingwood defender in a preliminary final.

Also, at a quick glance, I couldn’t see any final in the history of our great club in which any Collingwood player at all took more than 13 marks (though Sidey equaled that yesterday in his very own ground-breaking and record-shattering performance, Clokey did it a couple of times and I think Swanny did it once, as well).

The 13 intercept possessions is obviously a relatively new stat that is hard to compare across the ages but if team goes inside 50 48 times and you have one defender who stops better than a quarter of those on his own, it does make a mess of the opposition’s chances.

Also, it’s fair to say that he was the only guy who stood up to Thor Grundy all day - he told Brodie in no uncertain terms what he thought of the big man punching the ball back into play, rather than through for a point, at one stage.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he is a pretty tidy player...anyone else noticed its been about 3-4 weeks since he did a classic Langdon face-palm moment? Looks more Clementish every game

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Has been awesome.

More a General of the back line than a 'future Captain'.
Really, can't see him ever being the Captain of the side. Just doesn't fit that role at all IMO.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Skids wrote:
Has been awesome.

More a General of the back line than a 'future Captain'.
Really, can't see him ever being the Captain of the side. Just doesn't fit that role at all IMO.

He’s still not in my best 35 players on our list, though. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:15 pm

I want to know what happened to the so-so fringe player who used to wear his number. Since about mid-season, Langdon has not just come of age, he's come of age in a big way.

(Don't get too carried away about his intercept marking, good as it is. He's still got a long way to go to rival Wakes. But being mentioned in the same sentence as Wakes shows just how far he has come.)

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:30 pm

I will take a good statistic over an opinion any day and the numbers don’t lie.
His last month has been close to perfect.
I think you will find he was the beneficiary of a plus one in our back half for a lot of the game but such was his dominance they sent Vlaustin down there to try and curb his impact.
It just looks like he is enjoying some added responsibility and leading from the front back there.
And to be fair, the pressure applied from up the ground didn’t hurt his numbers either.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
He’s still not in my best 35 players on our list, though. Wink

That's okay. 14 are on the long-term injury list, so he makes it into the 22.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hateReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:

The Future Captain’s 13 marks yesterday were the most ever by a Collingwood defender in a preliminary final.

Also, at a quick glance, I couldn’t see any final in the history of our great club in which any Collingwood player at all took more than 13 marks (though Sidey equaled that yesterday in his very own ground-breaking and record-shattering performance, Clokey did it a couple of times and I think Swanny did it once, as well).

The 13 intercept possessions is obviously a relatively new stat that is hard to compare across the ages but if team goes inside 50 48 times and you have one defender who stops better than a quarter of those on his own, it does make a mess of the opposition’s chances.

Also, it’s fair to say that he was the only guy who stood up to Thor Grundy all day - he told Brodie in no uncertain terms what he thought of the big man punching the ball back into play, rather than through for a point, at one stage.

He's certainly played much better the past few weeks that's for sure
But your interpretation of the stats isn't exactly right
Of his 13 marks 7 were taken outside there attacking 50 so they weren't shut down entries as you state. So are they considered intercept marks that far from goal and because he's a defender or are they just marks ?
He certainly took some very good marks I'm not knocking that but as you have often commented stats don't always tell the true story of a players involvement in a game
Sidey played very well but I wouldn't rank it his best ever game for us IMO
Half his touches where hand balls and his overall meters gained wasn't that high he actually averaged just over 14m a possession which by that very number means he wasn't biting off massive meters. That's cool as he was in and around the contest a bit so again stats don't tell the full story
Crisp stats for mine were amazing given his a HBF
Second in metres gained 2 goals tackles smoother she had them all
We had so many good players the other night giving voters was hard
Just hope our under sized defence doesn't get torn apart next week by the Eagles talls
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hateReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Of his 13 marks 7 were taken outside there attacking 50 so they weren't shut down entries as you state. So are they considered intercept marks that far from goal and because he's a defender or are they just marks ?
He certainly took some very good marks I'm not knocking that but as you have often commented stats don't always tell the true story of a players involvement in a game
Half his touches where hand balls and his overall meters gained wasn't that high he actually averaged just over 14m a possession which by that very number means he wasn't biting off massive meters. That's cool as he was in and around the contest a bit so again stats don't tell the full story
Just hope our under sized defence doesn't get torn apart next week by the Eagles talls

Crisp was sensational! I almost commented pre game that he hadn't scored many majors this season in comparison to previous years, then BANG!

He had 8 rebound 50's (The General had 3) His 30 disposals at 93.3% efficiency (General 87.5%) was incredible.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:28 pm

I’m sorry you can’t understand the stats. He took 13 marks. He also had 13 intercept possessions. He was elite on both.

And, yes, Crisp was great (he was probably BOG to halftime). But Tommy is the one who is leading the competition at just about everything this September.

#ohwelltheycantallbeasgoodastommylangdon

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:28 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Sometimes I reckon Tommy must owe you money Laughing

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And, yes, Crisp was great (he was probably BOG to halftime). But Tommy is the one who is leading the competition at just about everything this September.

I may have committed the crime of the century when I left Crisp out of my votes yesterday.

It was impossible not to list Sidebottom and Adams as the very, very best, and equally impossible not to list Grundy and Cox alongside them. That left only one slot in the votes. Howe, Sier and De Goey all had claims on it. Crisp played well enough to rate BOG in most games. But in the end, I could not leave Langdon out, not even for Crisp. Tommy was magnificent, and he's been playing like that every week these last couple of months.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Sometimes I reckon Tommy must owe you money Laughing

It's called the Dad Bank. Or more probably the Mum Bank.

Be thankful.

Whatever you might say about P4S and his Tom Langdon obsession, at least he doesn't carry on like Damir Cloke.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I don’t believe what you have said in your first sentence. I suspect you knew what you were looking for when you did your research but that’s OK.

I didn’t go to the game so my wife watched the game with me, something she rarely does as she dislikes football and even more than that she can’t understand why I swear at the TV. Early on she asked me who no.8 was and why he was so slow. Later on she proved that she knew nothing about football as she said that she felt sorry for the Tigers.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:03 pm

I don’t care what you believe. I simply thought that 13 was a lot of marks to take in the back half of the ground and decided to have a look at how it stacked up. I thought I’d find that Billy Picken had the record. Anyway, the stat is what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: