Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin, I can't agree on him ever being a so-so fringe player. One of the first picked defenders since his debut
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm

What about Jason Cloke? How far back do those stats go? Cloke was famous for taking third-man-up possessions on the HB line back in the day.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I’m sorry you can’t understand the stats. He took 13 marks. He also had 13 intercept possessions. He was elite on both.

And, yes, Crisp was great (he was probably BOG to halftime). But Tommy is the one who is leading the competition at just about everything this September.

#ohwelltheycantallbeasgoodastommylangdon

My bad mate misread the sentence
I wasn't knocking him was just wondering how they judge intercept marks as if there taken 60 from goal but 13 marks is a sensational effort no matter where there taken
I didn't give him votes but he was good no doubt
Like many others I found it hard to give only 5 players voters could have given to 10 players and still left a few out
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:18 pm

1965, Tannin. Jason Cloke never took more than 12 marks in any game. His best in a final was 8 in the QF against Brisbane in 03. He played 5 finals in all and took 5, 5, 8, 4 and 1 marks in them.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:28 pm

If Tom Langdon pushes up to create a wall about 70m out from our own goals, it is still an intercept mark and still of value, even if it has not been taken in the defensive 50 arc.

Only marks we won't give much value to is the ring- a-rosey pass it around the back type.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:32 pm

For further context, the great Billy Picken took 14 marks just once and 13 twice in his 240 game career - but never more than 10 in any of his 21 finals.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:37 pm

My Dad says Jack Regan’s aerial work was better but that predates me, slightly. Anyway, even if Regan was available, we’d still need someone else to play at CHB and FB this week, because The Prince Of Fullbacks was only 6’1”.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:41 pm

Tannin wrote:
What about Jason Cloke? How far back do those stats go? Cloke was famous for taking third-man-up possessions on the HB line back in the day.

Nah, JClo was "Fist of Death". He was renowned for his spoiling work there for a while.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Plenty here on Nicks calling for other, better players to replace him in the selected side up until about the middle of this season, Frankie. And quite a few who talked about trading or delisting him.

He was one of those players who become darlings of the selection committee early on and get selected every week (if fit) for reasons far from obvious to the world at large.

Since that time, he has stepped up not just one gear but two gears. He's gone from being a best-32 player on the fringes of the best 22 who always got selected anyway (like Blair) to a clear best 22 and, as the season wore on, past that into genuine stardom.

The interesting question is what has made the difference?

(a) Just more experience? He really stepped up as he went past about 60 games.

(b) Staying fit for a good long stretch rather than playing in fits and starts as he battled niggling injuries?

(c) Extra responsibility as he went from being a bit-part player in our defence to arguably THE main defender, often taking the most dangerous forward and leading a young, depleted defence after key defender after key defender went down with injury?

My guess is mainly (b) with a lot of (c) and a dash of (a), but that is just a guess. He has certainly blossomed spectacularly this year.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
1965, Tannin. Jason Cloke never took more than 12 marks in any game. His best in a final was 8 in the QF against Brisbane in 03. He played 5 finals in all and took 5, 5, 8, 4 and 1 marks in them.

Thanks P4S. Those are interesting numbers.

Geek too.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm

All of them?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 pm
Post subject: Re: Defensive statistics that a couple of you might hateReply with quote

Skids wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I looked this up, mostly for a joke.

The Future Captain’s 13 marks yesterday were the most ever by a Collingwood defender in a preliminary final.

Also, at a quick glance, I couldn’t see any final in the history of our great club in which any Collingwood player at all took more than 13 marks (though Sidey equaled that yesterday in his very own ground-breaking and record-shattering performance, Clokey did it a couple of times and I think Swanny did it once, as well).

The 13 intercept possessions is obviously a relatively new stat that is hard to compare across the ages but if team goes inside 50 48 times and you have one defender who stops better than a quarter of those on his own, it does make a mess of the opposition’s chances.

Also, it’s fair to say that he was the only guy who stood up to Thor Grundy all day - he told Brodie in no uncertain terms what he thought of the big man punching the ball back into play, rather than through for a point, at one stage.

He's certainly played much better the past few weeks that's for sure
But your interpretation of the stats isn't exactly right
Of his 13 marks 7 were taken outside there attacking 50 so they weren't shut down entries as you state. So are they considered intercept marks that far from goal and because he's a defender or are they just marks ?
He certainly took some very good marks I'm not knocking that but as you have often commented stats don't always tell the true story of a players involvement in a game
Sidey played very well but I wouldn't rank it his best ever game for us IMO
Half his touches where hand balls and his overall meters gained wasn't that high he actually averaged just over 14m a possession which by that very number means he wasn't biting off massive meters. That's cool as he was in and around the contest a bit so again stats don't tell the full story
Crisp stats for mine were amazing given his a HBF
Second in metres gained 2 goals tackles smoother she had them all
We had so many good players the other night giving voters was hard
Just hope our under sized defence doesn't get torn apart next week by the Eagles talls

Crisp was sensational! I almost commented pre game that he hadn't scored many majors this season in comparison to previous years, then BANG!

He had 8 rebound 50's (The General had 3) His 30 disposals at 93.3% efficiency (General 87.5%) was incredible.

And Crisp was sensational because Richmond paid him no respect.
I actually posted pre game that I expected Crisp to have a big game because the Tigers don’t allocate run with roles. They made the same blue with Sidey.

In the previous two weeks the opposition placed a defensive forward on Crisp and shut down his run. The Eagles sent Cripps to him in the first final ( DeBoer in the second ) They will do the same again. The challenge will be for Bucks to hatch a plan to allow Crisp to be as damaging as he was against the Tigers.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Never been a part of those plenty, Tannin and never understood why anyone would want to trade or delist him. Always been a bit bullish on Tommy but then again I'm still waiting for Shannon Cox to return and earn AA selection Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Cox? Yeah, bit of promise there, but you want to have your eye on Brad Dick. Smile
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Langdon is a very good mark and playing very well, but he needs to learn to not put himself in position for a handball receive. He has the leg speed of a sloth on xanax and just provides tackling practice for the opposition.

Just mark and kick son, play to your strengths, don't think you're a running player when you're not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: