Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2018 Brownlow Thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s slightly sad that he came second to a bloke that wouldn’t get a game at Collingwood. Ah, well. Stupid award.

I think TM has LG covered quite comfortably...

He wouldn't be selected as a lock-down player ahead of Greenwood.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 am

SwansWay wrote:
A small part of me was happy that Sidey didn't win. In 2003 and 2011, a Collingwood player took home the award and we all know what happened in those Grand Finals.

No Brownlow win in 1990 or 2010. Just sayin'.

Agree with that. No distractions. Back onto the job this morning. No media bullsh1t on top of the circus that’s already going on.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I have expressed my view about the Brownlow repeatedly, elsewhere. Mitchell is just the latest example of a poor player being overrated by the umpires.

I happen to agree. I think Mitchell, for the most part, is ineffective accumulator. He doesn't hurt teams or influence games.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 am

SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I have expressed my view about the Brownlow repeatedly, elsewhere. Mitchell is just the latest example of a poor player being overrated by the umpires.

I happen to agree. I think Mitchell, for the most part, is ineffective accumulator. He doesn't hurt teams or influence games.

He would certainly be getting a game at the Swans though. Wouldn’t they love their time again between Hannabery and Mitchell.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am

Probably not. He was the reason they lost to Footscray in 2016.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 am

There'll be changes to how Brownlow votes are awarded next year. There has to be. Much better players than Mitchell barely registered votes, and we're having the same argument every year. I'm sure most of the players still hold the medal in high regard, but for most of us it's become as relevant as the Logies. The Brownlow a night for the WAGs to dress up, and [censored] to snort lines in the bathrooms.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am

And as others point out, we polled the most votes collectively as a team. That's what matters the most! It's why we're in a Grand Final. It's a bloody great result and vindicates everything the Collingwood Football Club has worked for this year.

And we all know that the Copeland is what's more important. Wink
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Probably not. He was the reason they lost to Footscray in 2016.

Nearly gotcha. He wasn’t there in 2015 . Good save 😂😉
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Grundy, Sidey, De Goey, one of you will be holding a Norm Smith medal on Saturday. And all of you will be be holding the Premiership Cup.

Carn the Pies!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:36 am

I don’t give a rats for a Charlie👎

For me the flag is important pure and simple

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 am

I'm relieved, no distractions for the big one on Saturday. I was hoping a West Coast player won it for that reason. Up all night, non-stop media and attention the next day and the next, no sleep.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

Damien wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
A small part of me was happy that Sidey didn't win. In 2003 and 2011, a Collingwood player took home the award and we all know what happened in those Grand Finals.

No Brownlow win in 1990 or 2010. Just sayin'.

Agree with that. No distractions. Back onto the job this morning. No media bullsh1t on top of the circus that’s already going on.

You can add Peter Moore, 1979 into that mix.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s slightly sad that he came second to a bloke that wouldn’t get a game at Collingwood. Ah, well. Stupid award.

Is it a stupid award because Sidey didn't win it or Mitchell did ?
Is the AFLPA MVP a stupid award ?
Is the coaches award a stupid award ?

I'm not convinced the Brownlow is the most prestigious award now that players themselves would value
Being voted by your peers I would believe would rank as the highest accolade they could receive then likley the coaches award
For a long time the Brownlow has thrown up some odd results really
It seems the umpires votes aren't necessarily inline with how coaches and players see the game often
In this case Mitchell Cripps & Gawn all finished in the top 5 of each of those awards so this season it appears all the vote givers (umpires coaches players) were in close alignment
Grundy polled well over the 3 awards and Sidey did exceptional in the Brownlow and fair in the coaches but didn't figure highly in the players voting
P4S we've watched you update us weekly on Sidey's possession tally but Mitchell had 786 across 22 games 11 times 40 or more
I'll happily agree he's not as damaging as Sidey with ball in hand but you can't knock his output

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=11&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=3659&pid2=3117&fid1=S&fid2=S

Check the comparison on current year Sidey v Mitchell
Mitchell leads in nearly every stat

Mitchell wins the Brownlow for 1 reason only he played in a side that was largely devoid of other players sharing the workload
Sidey played in a side that the work load was shared around and many players stood up weekly
When the Hawks won Mitchell got votes when we won Sidey got votes but so did Pendles Grundy JDG Adams Trelaor that's the difference mate
Mitchell would get a start in any midfield including ours right now
He's maybe not as skilful as Sidey but he's certainly a player of immense talent
I don't think it's a stupid award and I'm sure had Sidey won it your opinion would be vastly different right now

I don't rate the AFL Players Association award at all, for the simple reason that the players don't rate it.

It was interesting to hear some of the players talk about it recently. Not following the game closely enough to know who to vote for, so just voting for the players that the media said were the best, really surprised me.

I also recall the Brisbane players taking the piss by voting for Ryan Lonie as the most courageous player.

It's a bit similar to national census results. The surprise was that there were more Lamborghinis owned in Dandenong than anywhere else. That is, until some blokes at a local pub owned up to asking the entire bar to say that they drove one.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 am

I think its hard for the umpires to adjudicate and vote for best on ground. Far too many times a player was clearly best on ground and didn't get a vote. That said it is still a prestigious award and sought after by the players.

Players award has other problems and again it is what it is.

I think the best award is the coaches votes. This reflects the tactics and who best provided the hurt factor. The votes are published weekly and therefore under scrutiny weekly. Very rarely do I totaly disagree with the votes.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm

If you want a laugh check out Mason Cox's tweets from his couch during the Brownlow coumt. He's a funny bloke.

https://twitter.com/masonsixtencox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: