Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post GF. Pies pipped in GF thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ANNODAM wrote:
tbaker wrote:
Hang in there...we can truly be optimistic about the next few years. This is the opening of the window, not the closing...

Windows are funny things, they can easily shatter or get jammed staying shut for a good 10yrs.

Stay positive...if we have the players thinking like some of the pessimists here then we are truly done for another 8 years. Side by side we need to get behind our team and exert positive energy towards them, not consign them to failure through doubt and negative vibes

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm

slangman wrote:
It wasn’t meant to be our day.
My observation of the game was that the ball 90% of the time bounced their way. Their players never had to break stride when chasing a bouncing ball.

The ball bounced WCE way in their prelim and on Saturday.

Ultimately it’s not skill or hard work, but luck that truly determines such close games.

The ball didn’t roll on for De Goey, Mihocek was 10m in front of McGovern only for the ball to bounce back over his head straight into McGiverns who didn’t have to break stride even though he was initially beaten.

Numerous others also during the game but in reality, the ball literally didn’t bounce our way.

I agree with this. During the Richmond game, I remember consciously marvelling at the good fortune we were experiencing. Luck does have its role. The luck in turn feeds confidence in an upward spiral. It was clear that we didn't have it in this game. But I also think there was a psychological shift, no doubt due to the young and inexperienced nature of our team. The first quarter did not just happen because WC played badly. It happened mainly because of the explosive, bold ball movement we used, which totally prevented them from gearing into their style of game. Then, after their 2 goals at the end of the first quarter, we never seemed to recover that same audacity and freedom. It looked for all the world that we were going to bring to this game the same scintillating self belief and brilliance that we had last week. For the first 20 min we did. But after quarter time, there was a subtle, yet fateful, shift in the psychology. For the rest of the game, we did not recapture that same level of boldness. Our ball movement seemed to gradually revert to the old, very predictable patterns.
Now 2 days later, and I reckon I now feel worse than yesterday. Recovery is not linear, it will be a zig zag.
But I have belief we will learn alot from this encounter, not just in tactics/matchups/players we need. What has been remarkable this year is the amazing development, to the point of transformation, in our team psyche. I think Bucks has played a leading role in this aspect.
We will, to use Bucks' own phraselology/ "drill down" to discover what happened after quarter time and from the lessons go into next year mentally even stronger.
What this season has taught me, is that our club now has the capacity to not only to weather major setbacks and tragedies, but even more importantly to become better and stronger as a result. This was borne out so many times in the course of this year.
While still feeling horribly down as I still struggle to mentally accept the outcome of the GF, I am filled with confidence that this bitter disappointment will turn out to be a key moment in the forging of a very powerful team that will do us even more proud over the coming period.

lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Day 3, and I'm now close to coming to terms with it. When it's just 5 measly points, there are just so many what ifs and buts. No doubt the umpiring could have been a bit friendlier to us, no doubt a few of our stars could have done a little bit more, no doubt the ball could have bounced a little more kindly for us, no doubt the rain could have come a little earlier and harder for our benefit, and no doubt I'd have loved to have seen how we'd have done with Moore or Reid in. I'm a bit disappointed that after a fantastic season, we failed to take our chances on the most important day yet again. I've accepted that overperforming in the finals and then losing in the granny is just part and parcel of supporting this team.

At the end of the day though, it was a cracking game and it was a fantastic year. WC were the better team for most of the day and they deserved the win. Apart from getting the jump on them and the first minute of the last quarter, we were outplayed. Their defence and their grit all day were supreme. They beat us 3 times this year. I'm disappointed that we didn't manage to pull this premiership heist off, but I'm close to accepting the loss. I'm sure the club leaders will do a proper post mortem and identify how they can improve next year. In time I will remember this year with the same fondness as 2002.

The two highlights for me this year has firstly been the massive improvements almost across the entire playing list, particularly in our second tier players like Crisp, Langdon, Cox, WHE, Mayne, Adams, etc etc. I have been pleased to see so many of the whipping boys step up and play so well in the finals. Secondly the mental strength of the group in overcoming all the injuries through the year and making it this far gives me real hope for continued improvements in the next few years. How good is it to watch the footy knowing that even if we were to lose, you are still guaranteed that the boys put in everything and left it all out on the field? It's not always like this.

It gets better. We'll be back next year. Go pies!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Luck luck luck. The ball just scraping Jetta's shin made it 5-2 instead of 5-1 at the Q1 break.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:45 pm

While we suffered due to our deficiencies in the big man department, the fact is our midfielders got beaten, particularly in the last quarter, as they have each time we've played the Eagles. This was disappointing, as it was the key area where I thought we would dominate.

I put this down to Pendles not being fully fit, and Sier being unable to play games out. Hopefully next year, Pendles will have a relatively injury/illness free season, Sier will be stronger and fitter, and we will be able to use De Goey more in the midfield, where he is best suited.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I can wait. I am a very patient .
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm

At the end of the game I texted mates "Not Happy - but Happy". Sure, we lost but we gave it a bloody good go. Better than three previous grand finalists.
We were beaten by a team that had previously beaten us twice and we narrowed the margin in the third game.
I am still happy about our year of achievement and the growth of our coach and players.
Given that West Coast lost in 2015 and won in 2018 I can see a rosy future for the pies.

MagpieWhisperer35 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Its gone. The part of you that dies in a Grand Final loss, let alone a typical Collingwood style heart breaker, the grief is ripping through every cell in the body.
Starting to seriously question the legitimacy and integrity of the AfL after seeing so many bullsh*$#t decisions, and yet aren't we the kings of giving an opposition enough of a sniff to allow these painful outcomes.
As soon as we got 5 goals up, that old familiar fear arrived, and I knew and started praying.
Bucks and the players and the club must be congratulated however the penny is starting to drop, we are the bunnies of the AFL, they want us in it, but not winning it.
Yes we are suckers all right.

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm

I still feel sick thinking about this loss. Even worse when the final result was based on an umpires error. We shouldn't have let it get to that point though.

In saying that, who knows if we had iced the game in that last 2 mins... So many if & buts..

I'm not as sour as I was yesterday, but will burn for a while yet like most on here.

Flag_It 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:00 pm

It was an amazing effort to make the GF and get within 6 points of a Premiership given it wasn't meant to be our year due to injuries, poor umpiring, etc. The team showed more spirit and determination than the rest of the comp this season.
I do wish the AFL was not so accepting of umpiring errors, because it may have cost Pies 2 flags now (1979, 2018).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:37 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
While we suffered due to our deficiencies in the big man department, the fact is our midfielders got beaten, particularly in the last quarter, as they have each time we've played the Eagles. This was disappointing, as it was the key area where I thought we would dominate.

I put this down to Pendles not being fully fit, and Sier being unable to play games out. Hopefully next year, Pendles will have a relatively injury/illness free season, Sier will be stronger and fitter, and we will be able to use De Goey more in the midfield, where he is best suited.

Rudey, you gotta stop leading like that!!!

well i went to the funeral of a 69 year old today, had a heart attack last Saturday night while sleeping, (sort of fringe family member) and we all stood and they said we will play his clubs song.... and they played the bulldog theme song, and I cant tell you how relieved I was! can you imagine if that played the song ive managed to avoid since the fourth line as i headed up the stairs... i must say life is quite peaceful without FTA TV!! just a few more days...

i woke up at 5.30am and howled, the first time ive really cried, i needed it. I still feel pretty fragile, but I still have man flu too! My hubbies family were very supportive (they are all doggie fans) i was quite shocked, i had reheresed lines ready, but they were really nice to me! One said it was a good game though and i said, yep just 2 $£$%^%%$ minutes too long! 2 minutes. 120 sec. im sorry but im struggling to believe a higher power exists that would allow such cruelty. seriously, thats just bullshit! 2 minutes.

chill Jo, chill!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Flag_It wrote:
It was an amazing effort to make the GF and get within 6 points of a Premiership given it wasn't meant to be our year due to injuries, poor umpiring, etc. The team showed more spirit and determination than the rest of the comp this season.
I do wish the AFL was not so accepting of umpiring errors, because it may have cost Pies 2 flags now (1979, 2018).

and the night grand final, and the first brisvegas match, Roccas non goal, and the bullshit free lynch got. that still burns

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:53 pm

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Rudey, you gotta stop leading like that!!!

Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Mr September Steele Sidebottom snare,s the Gary Ayres best finals player

Sidebottom 23 votes

Tay Adams 18 votes

Jack Redden 17 votes

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:56 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Mr September Steele Sidebottom snare,s the Gary Ayres best finals player

Sidebottom 23 votes

Tay Adams 18 votes

Jack Redden 17 votes

To me the best finals player was Shuey, based on what he did in one game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 27 of 31   

Jump to: