Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post GF. Pies pipped in GF thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pendles was so far from being anywhere near his best it was ridiculous. I don't know whether his illness prior to the finals played a part but for whatever reason he didn't get into the game

This. Did you see him just watching Darling take an uncontested mark? That was bizarre that he didn't even attempt to spoil - I don't want to bag a great player, but I can't comprehend why he just stood there and watched.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

foreigner wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pendles was so far from being anywhere near his best it was ridiculous. I don't know whether his illness prior to the finals played a part but for whatever reason he didn't get into the game

This. Did you see him just watching Darling take an uncontested mark? That was bizarre that he didn't even attempt to spoil - I don't want to bag a great player, but I can't comprehend why he just stood there and watched.

I saw that as well and it really surprised me as it looked like he wasn't trying. I am never going to watch a replay to check but it has occurred to me that it may have been that the TV pictures made him appear much closer to the play than he actually was. Sometimes that is shown to be the case when you see a different angle, as depth perception on tv can be quite misleading.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:42 pm

58pie wrote:
Sorry for those that find this loss too much. My Mother saw more GF than anyone here including 1927-30. Overall the Pies has played in 42 GF won 15. Essendon played in 30 and lost 14. Tigers played in 23 and lost 12. So we get more bang for our buck(s). Gee, if not hearing that Yellow and Black song at the prelim hasnt made your year you are in a sad state. Move to Mexico or somewhere else that hasn't heard of AFL but you will still end up watching it live on watchafl.com. My Mum got more of a thrill out of 1990 32 years after her last Collingwood premiership. We are Collingwood and we are the best and no other team comes even close. Adam Simpsons team took 4 years of finals to get here (and lucky they were). We wont have to wait as long as my Mum after what we have seen in 2018. Go Pies

Great post!

Hear Hear!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:26 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
foreigner wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I saw that as well and it really surprised me as it looked like he wasn't trying. I am never going to watch a replay to check but it has occurred to me that it may have been that the TV pictures made him appear much closer to the play than he actually was. Sometimes that is shown to be the case when you see a different angle, as depth perception on tv can be quite misleading.

No, it wasn't depth perception, I saw it too at the ground - Pendlebury "had to go" and didn't...didn't mention it earlier because of the expected backlash from fans who didn't see it that way. But it happened alright...James Aish knew he "had to go" last year (fractured cheekbone), and Pendles had to do the same - may just have inspired his teammates...

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

I don't know.
After hearing the clubs 'focus on the 95% we do right' talk I was hoping that would NOT translate into a repeat of the first final in Perth,...Us believing somehow the location of the ground would be the determining factor.

When Greenwood went to Yeo and we had a 5 - 0 head start [as opposed to 0 - 3], I started to hope that might be enough.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm

foreigner wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

In Pendlebury's defense, he wasn't the only one guilty of this. I can count half a dozen times off the top of my head where 2-3 Collingwood players stood around looking at each other while one WC player took a mark uncontested between them. No body work, no pressure, nothing. Just stood there. Communication issue? I have no idea, but it was frustrating to watch. Easy uncontested marks in a pack of players.

Anyway, we lost this game. Death by a thousand cuts. That's what's frustrating.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Watching it again, I discovered that Darling got his mojo back in the 3rd quarter during a 10 min period when Howe was off the ground getting his injured ankle attended to. Overall, our defenders did a mighty job on the Eagles tall timber.

What lost us the game was the less than usual output from Grundy, Pendles and Sidey. Given that, it's amazing we were so close in the end.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:40 pm

The mentality is close enough is good enough- THAT's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

The mentality is for Collingwood to make Finals- THAT's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

The mentality should always be and will be to win Grand Finals!!!

You draft players, coaches, Admin NOT to make Finals BUT to WIN GRAND FINALS.

Enough of this mentality that we did OK. No, it's NOT OK. 'NOT OK!!!'

15 GF Wins and 27 GF loses is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! and is NOT OK!!![/b]

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:17 am

Dude, no one is saying that it's good enough.

Or Ok.

It was a magnificent effort, but we need to do better in 2019.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 am

I tend to agree to a degree, I don't know what it is but its there... lingering in the background.

It is not ok. We must be ruthless in all things.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:27 am

I believe the mentality is to win Grand Finals. The problem is that there's another team who also wants to win, unless you expect them to forfeit.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I tend to agree to a degree, I don't know what it is but its there... lingering in the background.

Correct mate.
We have to be ruthless.
We need a killer instinct about us.
We need to be steely-eyed.
and at all levels - players, coaches and Admin.

With all due respect to Cam and 'Magnificent effort', that is something I would reserve for Hawthorn, not Collingwood. We have had decades and decades and decades of magnificent efforts and it has to stop and it has to change as IT's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! and IT's NOT OK.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 am

BEAMER09 wrote:

Correct mate.
We have to be ruthless.

With all due respect to Cam and 'Magnificent effort', that is something I would reserve for Hawthorn, not Collingwood. We have had decades and decades and decades of magnificent efforts and it has to stop and it has to change as IT's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! and IT's NOT OK.

Who is saying it is okay? If you saw the look on the faces of our boys after the game, did you see a look a quiet contentment? I saw disconsolate looks of complete sorrow. That loss bloody hurt. For them and us. Of course they need to focus somewhat on the positive of getting there. If they only focus on the negative it can totally derail 2019. Adelaide went backwards because they didn't cope with the loss.

I think we are already all of those things that you want us to be. Hawthorn lost a GF too and they were all of those things. And that was one they were supposed to win. This Collingwood group is different than we've had before. Believe, man.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:07 am

SwansWay wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:

Correct mate.
We have to be ruthless.

Who is saying it is okay? If you saw the look on the faces of our boys after the game, did you see a look a quiet contentment? I saw disconsolate looks of complete sorrow. That loss bloody hurt. For them and us. Of course they need to focus somewhat on the positive of getting there. If they only focus on the negative it can totally derail 2019. Adelaide went backwards because they didn't cope with the loss.

I think we are already all of those things that you want us to be. Hawthorn lost a GF too and they were all of those things. And that was one they were supposed to win. This Collingwood group is different than we've had before. Believe, man.

perfect summation.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:24 pm

This is the most different playing group I can recall—gotta go back to the 50,s
and the sides I remember as a kid

A term alien to those times but certainly suited

Every player on the same page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31   

Jump to: