Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why does our club have such a hard time winning grand finals

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Small GF margins: (margin in points, #GFs for all teams [Coll.])

0 (draw) 3 [2 with Collingwood]
1 4 [1 Collingwood loss]
2 2 [1 Collingwood win]
3 3 [0]
4 4 [1 loss]
5 5 [3 losses]
6 3 [1 loss]
7 1 [0]
8 0 [0]
9 4 [1 loss]
10 3 [2 losses]
11 3 [1 win, 1 loss]
12 3 [2 wins]
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:57 pm

K wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
... As for all the other lost GFs, by close margins, 4 points, 1 point, 10 points, 9 points, 5 points, twice, six GFs by less than 2 goals, i guess its just sheer, absolute rotten bad luck, simple as that.

Close Losing GFs

1911 6 pts
1918 5 pts (scoring 7.15 to 9.8 )
1922 11 pts
1925 10 pts
1964 4 pts
1966 1 pt
1979 5 pts
2002 9 pts
2018 5 pts

Losses by 1-5 pts: 5
Losses by 6-11 pts: 4

Sad

On that basis, I can never attend a Collingwood GF, ever, or barely even watch it, too much pain, too much sorrow, hurt, ive seen six of those close losses, enough is enough, can take NO more. Surprised Sad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Ghosts of '79 haunt Magpies in '18

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-13/ghosts-of-79-haunt-magpies-in-18

Quote:
[T]he Pies were just the second team in history to lose a Grand Final after scoring the first five goals.

The only other time a team had surrendered a five-goals-to-nil lead was in the 1979 Grand Final, when Collingwood was also the culprit...

But also:
1946 Melb. lost to Ess. after scoring first four goals; margin 63 points.

[That 1946 first-quarter GF ended Mel. 8.3 to Ess. 7.2. Then Ess. kicked 11.8 Shocked in the third quarter.]
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:40 pm

In 1979 which was my first Collingwood GF I attended I now reflect on the same half-time feeling of dread as in 2018.

In fact I think it was worse in 1979, I think I had more faith in the current group's resilience to find something. (which they certainly did)

The 79 Carlton side was very talented.
DT 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
In 1979 which was my first Collingwood GF I attended I now reflect on the same half-time feeling of dread as in 2018.

In fact I think it was worse in 1979, I think I had more faith in the current group's resilience to find something. (which they certainly did)

The 79 Carlton side was very talented.

Most painful and worst loss in my following of any sport. Still difficult to watch

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:02 am

My worst was '77.
After the worst year of our history, the one awful prize I didn't think Collingwood was even subject to, I marvelled that we could actually steal Hafey from Richmond. Within a few years he'd have us back in the finals, nothing surer.
Even I didn't expect to make the big game that year (& just let me point out that I picked us to make the Grand Final this year, though maybe not win it, at the start of this season -still trying to find the post-).
But there we were, so many champions, and all over North from the get go. I was ecstatic that we were ahead at 3/4 time, there was no WAY we would let the nightmare of 7 years earlier happen again. No way. But there we were, scores tied up with no idea how long was left. And then Ian Cooper had the ball on the outer wing, after the bounce caused by Twiggy Dunne's mighty goal. Streaming towards goal with a Paddock in front. Another bounce & he'd be in scoring range. Then the awful, awful, awful sound. The sight of Big Len lying flat on the ground. I knew next week would bring no joy. The sheer effort to climb to that height from last year had been too much. You could see there was nothing left. For some it would be their last chance, and almost none would be there 13 years later when the drought finally broke after yet another draw. But it was no comfort in '77. There was only pain. Pain I can still feel 41 years later.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: