Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New rules

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raised the new rules in reference to how it may assist Mason who currently
is set upon by minimum two opponents

If he is mano mano in goal square and we get it down rapidly we may find the rule gives him more scope to mark

There are a variety of rules but I highlighted this one

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

The waterboy/girl rule is insane. A player shouldn't have to come to the bench and use up a rotation to get a drink. On a hot day, a final, you want you best player to have to come off to hydrate and not cramp? How the hell can the water carrier get on and off the centre during live play? Nigh on impossible unless they are Usain Bolt. Just unnecessary.

They didn't need to do anything except limit runners to messages and not coaching.

The rule they need to change is like Bucks said, removing prior. Holding the ball is holding the ball and that would move things on and reduce stoppages and other bs.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:02 pm

The allowing ruckman to grab the ball and not be penalised is just stupid, they are trying to ease congestion by forcing more ball ups?
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Rethought the drinks thing, waterboys/girls will need to be all over the ground and players run over to the boundary to get a drink.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 pm

The one I’m unhappy with is the 50m penalty rules. Feels like the advantage rule is already exploited pretty often, and this will only make things worse.

I’m all for calling advantage and not penalising teams that receive a free kick if they were better off playing on, but if players have stopped because of the whistle (as they have to do, lest they give away 50 by mistake) then it should be brought back. Always frustrating when a team gets an easy goal or mark inside 50 because of that.

I’m bewildered by the removal of the ruck holding the ball rule – why get rid of that but still penalise players for diving on it and drawing it in? Aren’t we only going to get more unnecessary stoppages now?

I was initially fine with the runner/water-deliverer rules, but Cam makes a good point – perhaps an overzealous decision there in some respects.

One thing I’m happy about is the relaxation of the hands in the back rule. This is a contact sport, and free kicks exist to either prevent injury or protect fair contest for the ball; if it’s not a push, then why penalise it? Enforcement of this always seemed pedantic to me, so I’m glad it’s gone. The only downside might be an increase in diving, given the subtlety of some of the decisions that umpires will need to make.

Last edited by David on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 pm

The hands in the back will be exploited still by the likes of diving Rance... its going to encourage people to flop more than ever to draw the free. Will be just as difficult to adjudicate what is and is not more than holding your ground and becoming a push out.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:09 am

Quote:
6-6-6 starting positions at centre bounces: six players from each team to be inside the 50-metre arcs, four inside the centre square and one each of the wings. Minimum of one player from each team inside the goal square.

In other words, we think congestion is ugly and we'd like the game to look cleaner. Also, we don't like that coaches and players make so many decisions about how to play so we thought we'd prescribe strategy to them and punish them if they fall out of line. Pass.

Make me President of the rules committee. I'll remove the CHF and CHB on-field positions, add them to the bench, and have no cap on interchanges. Game will be faster and less congest. Then, I would touch no more rules.

Quote:
Kick-ins: Player no longer needs to kick to himself to play on. Man on the mark to be positioned 10 metres from top of goal square.

Fine. This one is so obvious that it's embarrassing a free kick was ever paid for an infringement.

Quote:
Defenders that take a mark or win a free kick within nine metres of their own goal will be given space to dispose of the ball with the player on the mark brought back in line with the top of the goal square.

Don't even know what his means. I wasn't aware there was a problem here that needed fixing, but whatever.

Quote:
Runners and water carriers: runners only permitted on after a goal and leave before play recommences and water carriers can't enter play during live play.

Rule-makers see it as their personal mission to reduce uncertainty and chaos. They miss the point: uncertainty and chaos make for adventure. This is an overreaction, but I'm convinced the AFL looked at it and thought, "This will mean the period between goal and center-bounce will necessarily extend, and we can jam another commercial in there."

Quote:
Umpire contact: players will be prohibited from setting up behind the field umpire at centre bounces.

It's possible this was abused, but I don't see the point. Sure, the umpire contact thing. Whatever. The umpires are there to regulate the game in play, but they are not the focus of the game, nor are they strictly necessary to play the game. This is more "Players have a duty of care to the umpire" crap - I'd prefer those rules to vanish - let's have the Umpires take care of themselves.

Quote:
50-metre penalty: the player with the football will be able to play on while advancing towards the new mark and if the player who infringes falls behind the player taking the penalty they will not be allowed to man the mark.

Wide enough to drive a herd of elephants through. Falls behind? What if the infringing player is behind the awardee when the penalty is called? What if I mark, am infringed, play on, then the Umpire calls the 50? Will he stop play and make me take the 50, or did I play on?

Quote:
Kicking for a goal post-siren: player awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended will now be able to kick across the body using a snap or banana kick. The player must dispose of the football in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

You couldn't already do this? Odd. Obvious.

Quote:
Hands in the back rule: It has been abolished with the player allowed to place his hands on an opponent's back to protect their position in a marking contest but not to push the player in the back.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Prior opportunity in ruck contests: a ruckman who takes possession of the ball from a throw-up or throw-in will not be regarded as having prior opportunity.

The "Let Grundy be Grundy" rule! I like this one. Necessary, particularly as they are persisting with this crazy "clear the zones" structure.

Or, we could just undo all the rule changes they made over the last 10 years and we'd pretty much have all of the above.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:34 am

if we had the ruck rule in this year we would of won a grand final

Grundy could just grab it out of the ruck and hold onto it to get another ball up!

its a pretty stupid rule when a close final quarter game comes around.

the rest seem okay.

glad the 18meter goal square was scrapped, it would of turned it into Rugby Union, where the fullback kicks for touch
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am

AFL Live app has a field plan of the starting positions (by Nick Bowen)

Any one good at cut and paste to bring it over as a post on this topic❓

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am

woodys_world69 wrote:
if we had the ruck rule in this year we would of won a grand final

Grundy could just grab it out of the ruck and hold onto it to get another ball up!

its a pretty stupid rule when a close final quarter game comes around.

the rest seem okay.

glad the 18meter goal square was scrapped, it would of turned it into Rugby Union, where the fullback kicks for touch

I think you're misinterpreting the ruck rule. 'Taking possesion from a ruck contest will not automatically be regarded as prior oppourtunity'.... if no attempt is made to dispose of the ball within a reasonable time, they'll be pinged.... like it used to be.

Last edited by Skids on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 am

perthmagpie wrote:
The new ruck rule where prior opportunity has been removed could really help our midfielder, Brody Grundy.

Loving this! Grundy grabs the ball from the bounce, belts it forward, mark by Cox... a dozen times each game!
Stinger 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

Tannin wrote:
Kicking for goal after the siren. WTF does this even mean? It makes no sense at all.

I think this rule interpretation is brought in due to many players now taking shots for goal on the angle using the "around the corner kick".

This season if a player was to do so after the siren they couldn't because to do so would mean they had to step to the side "off the line" which would automatically trigger a play on call - making the shot null and void.

The new rule allows the player to step off the line to set up for the kick, then they are allowed to step back onto the line to kick over the mark around the corner.

That's how I read it.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 am

Frankie goes to Collingwood, um l think its to discuss ppls thoughts on the new rules
ROB 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Cam wrote:
The waterboy/girl rule is insane. A player shouldn't have to come to the bench and use up a rotation to get a drink. On a hot day, a final, you want you best player to have to come off to hydrate and not cramp? How the hell can the water carrier get on and off the centre during live play? Nigh on impossible unless they are Usain Bolt. Just unnecessary..

Absolutely agree - just ensure water carriers are not passing messages. Games in pre season, or those in season played in the west, Brisbane and Gold Coast, Cairns, Alice Springs and Darwin without water until a goal is scored - that could be 20 minutes for goodness sake - what a crap rule. How does this fit in to OHS and duty of care - players association should be up in arms!!

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 pm

There should only be two things on the ground... players... and the ball, regretfully we have to accept a third in the umpires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: