Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that we should move on.

Thanks for clearing it up for me Peep's.

Judging by Stui's video, pretty much sum's up that there was no real conflict.

In reference to the Mark Latham arm wrench he may have recieved from Bucks that FarnkieGoesToCollingwood mentioned. Made me laugh, especially remembering when Bucks decided to dust off Big Witts clothes by the bench. Nothing a good shake cant fix lol.

Thats about as aggressive as you will see a Coach react these days

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm

https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/18/mega-trade-winners-losers/
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Cam wrote:
Beams plays his role and not the team's. Great footballer, but why ruin the chemistry at the club that we now have.

Carlscum would be a good fit for him.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 pm

He got off the bus once; and it ain't goin' past his stop again, sorry...
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
E wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Anyone who doesn't believe Dayne Beams wouldn't slot straight into our best midfield rotations is a dead set idiot. Still a gun with ball in hand and a piercing kick inside 50. If he wants back to Collingwood ( and why wouldn't he, we are in the slot for a flag) then make it happen, so long as it doesn't cost the farm.

I don't think anyone could credibly say that. Beams is probably one of the best 20 mids in the comp. I don't know who he would push out of the square when Treloar, Pendles and Adams are healthy, but we wouldn't lose much putting him in there among those guys.

I think what people are rightly saying is that our midfield is an absolute strength of ours and for the salary cap that he would absorb, it might be money better spent elsewhere. I for one think we need a key back and a key forward. I still don't think Cox is the answer as the focus up there (he is just a good resting ruckman who causes massive headaches for the opposition. Down back, we had the perfect back 6, but 2 of them might never play again (Dunn and Berg) and we need someone to replace Dunn for the duration of the 4 years that this team is going to be good.

I'm saying something very much more than that.

Some players just set themselves and do their best under adversity. So, you look at the way Langdon has stepped up and performed better as our defence has got weaker. He is not a fullback and I expected him to get thrashed last night. Instead, he was one of our best players. He won't be able to do it every week because he is too small and won't be able to compete physically but you won't ever be left wondering why he didn't give more. Meanwhile, Beams has at least twice Tommy's talent - but he is never, ever going to surprise his supporters when things are against him. He's the sort of guy who can look good when all the focus is on Pendlebury, Swan and Sidebottom. He's not the guy who can step up and take it to the next level when that's required. When other players are falling off and being kept out of the game, he's one of the other players falling off and being kept out of the game. It amazes me that people do not see this, especially since we watched it happen, to our (or at least my) horror, repeatedly.

Interesting perspective. Must say i've never thought that, but i've also never focused on it.

The only thing i might say to counter that argument is that Beams has been a lone elite player at Brisbane for years now and has B&Fs next to his name. Even now as his team has improved, he is the clear class player in the team. Are you suggesting that he only plays well when the team is playing well and the first to go missing when the team struggles?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 am

People don't worry about P4S comments it's a long running hatred of Beams based purely on his love of Sidey
You see when Sidey was drafted P4S hitched his wagon to him.
When Beams debuted nearly immediately in his first season Sidey was playing limited minutes in the VFL
Beams then not only held his spot but was putting in eye catching performances in a star studded midfield including Swan Pendles Thomas Ball and was noted very early on by nearly every media commentator as a star on the rise.
Mean time Sidey had to wait and wait for his debut to come and when it did it was solid but it was a Beams drawing all the accolations and praise
Then Beams wins a rising star nomination (well deserved) followed by Brad Dick & Jaxson Barnham. Sidey didn't receive any nominations that's when P4S started his monologue about it's a nothing award and Beams was a talentless hack basically.
Beams goes on to win the best first uear player in a canter and P4S obviously doesn't acknowledge that award either
It's fair to say Beams did struggle in the finals series of 2010/11 playing injured will do that too you but each week no matter how busted he was he was selected
2012 the club changed coaches and makes a finals again. Beams sets new records on the AFL in many stats in a midfield containing Pendles Swan Sidey on his way to winning a Copeland with 205 votes 35 ahead of Pendles 60 clear of Swan and 70 odd votes ahead of Sidey. In a year the team made prelims he was a standout. To make finals you need your stars to be at there w solute best every week. Turning up every few weeks is what separates the truly elite players like Beams from the pack.
His 8th placed finished in the Brownlow second place finish in the AFL coaches voting (he lost this as Swan Pendles Cloke all polled very well) winner of the herald sun player of the year winner of the media writers best player award and All Australian honours.
It's true to say injury has hampered his output
It's easy to concede Sidey has been far more durable and this season has finally shown the consistency in his week to week performances
Sidey finally won a copeland in 2017 with 140 votes (which would have placed him 4th the year Beams won it) but still hasn't had a top 10 finish in the Brownlow or any other award given by industry experts
That's not a knock on Sidey you see he's spent his whole career playing in sides with truly elite players.
I'm happy to say Sidey has performed much more consistent in finals than Beams but if you don't have players like Beams turning up each week and winning games for the side players like Sidey don't get to even play finals and play well.
Beams will likely win a 3rd or is it 4th club B&F this season & finish as his teams highest vote getter in the coaches votes (and ahead of Sidey at this point in time) and more than likley in the Brownlow again (after all he does have 3 top 10 finishes already)
The statement P4S made about Langdon lifting his game is fair he's past few weeks have been ok but when your coming from such a low level going backwards is near impossible so realistically the only way is up.
I'm sure Dayne won't loss any sleep knowing P4S doesn't rate him he can sleep comfortably each night with his $900k contract safely tucked away for another 2 years. Langdon will be having sleepless nights wondering if a contract offer will be forth coming from the club or whether his career is over
Time will tell but I'm happy to bet no club will be throwing $900k a sesson at him over long term. If he can manage a 1 year deal on more than the league minimum he should grab it with both hands
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
E wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Anyone who doesn't believe Dayne Beams wouldn't slot straight into our best midfield rotations is a dead set idiot. Still a gun with ball in hand and a piercing kick inside 50. If he wants back to Collingwood ( and why wouldn't he, we are in the slot for a flag) then make it happen, so long as it doesn't cost the farm.

I don't think anyone could credibly say that. Beams is probably one of the best 20 mids in the comp. I don't know who he would push out of the square when Treloar, Pendles and Adams are healthy, but we wouldn't lose much putting him in there among those guys.

I think what people are rightly saying is that our midfield is an absolute strength of ours and for the salary cap that he would absorb, it might be money better spent elsewhere. I for one think we need a key back and a key forward. I still don't think Cox is the answer as the focus up there (he is just a good resting ruckman who causes massive headaches for the opposition. Down back, we had the perfect back 6, but 2 of them might never play again (Dunn and Berg) and we need someone to replace Dunn for the duration of the 4 years that this team is going to be good.

I'm saying something very much more than that.

Some players just set themselves and do their best under adversity. So, you look at the way Langdon has stepped up and performed better as our defence has got weaker. He is not a fullback and I expected him to get thrashed last night. Instead, he was one of our best players. He won't be able to do it every week because he is too small and won't be able to compete physically but you won't ever be left wondering why he didn't give more. Meanwhile, Beams has at least twice Tommy's talent - but he is never, ever going to surprise his supporters when things are against him. He's the sort of guy who can look good when all the focus is on Pendlebury, Swan and Sidebottom. He's not the guy who can step up and take it to the next level when that's required. When other players are falling off and being kept out of the game, he's one of the other players falling off and being kept out of the game. It amazes me that people do not see this, especially since we watched it happen, to our (or at least my) horror, repeatedly.

Interesting perspective. Must say i've never thought that, but i've also never focused on it.

The only thing i might say to counter that argument is that Beams has been a lone elite player at Brisbane for years now and has B&Fs next to his name. Even now as his team has improved, he is the clear class player in the team. Are you suggesting that he only plays well when the team is playing well and the first to go missing when the team struggles?

I'm not a supporter of P4S's argument in totality, and think that the extent of his dismissal of Beams capability is well overplayed but it is perhaps noteworthy that it was Zorko that Greenwood tagged on the weekend, rather than Beams. Zorko is more inspirational and can do more damage. Greenwood didn't even get sent to Beams when Zorko was off injured, he went to Robinson.

Clearly Beams didn't perform as well as Sidebottom in 2010 in our finals games. That is a fact. Doesn't mean necessarily that he wouldn't perform in similar circumstances again. But I think also that it is telling that Beams stepped down as captain mid-season this year. It does suggest that he is fragile mentally. Clearly his father's passing was a significant event for him, and I am sympathetic that as a fallible human being he has been unable to meet his obligations under the circumstances, but I do not imagine that other AFL captains would not have elected to pass on the captaincy subsequent in similar circumstances.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am

Sidebottom is of royal noble characters. Whereas that mouse from up north...errrrr
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:26 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
People don't worry about P4S comments it's a long running hatred of Beams based purely on his love of Sidey
You see when Sidey was drafted P4S hitched his wagon to him.
When Beams debuted nearly immediately in his first season Sidey was playing limited minutes in the VFL
Beams then not only held his spot but was putting in eye catching performances in a star studded midfield including Swan Pendles Thomas Ball and was noted very early on by nearly every media commentator as a star on the rise.
Mean time Sidey had to wait and wait for his debut to come and when it did it was solid but it was a Beams drawing all the accolations and praise
Then Beams wins a rising star nomination (well deserved) followed by Brad Dick & Jaxson Barnham. Sidey didn't receive any nominations that's when P4S started his monologue about it's a nothing award and Beams was a talentless hack basically.
Beams goes on to win the best first uear player in a canter and P4S obviously doesn't acknowledge that award either
It's fair to say Beams did struggle in the finals series of 2010/11 playing injured will do that too you but each week no matter how busted he was he was selected
2012 the club changed coaches and makes a finals again. Beams sets new records on the AFL in many stats in a midfield containing Pendles Swan Sidey on his way to winning a Copeland with 205 votes 35 ahead of Pendles 60 clear of Swan and 70 odd votes ahead of Sidey. In a year the team made prelims he was a standout. To make finals you need your stars to be at there w solute best every week. Turning up every few weeks is what separates the truly elite players like Beams from the pack.
His 8th placed finished in the Brownlow second place finish in the AFL coaches voting (he lost this as Swan Pendles Cloke all polled very well) winner of the herald sun player of the year winner of the media writers best player award and All Australian honours.
It's true to say injury has hampered his output
It's easy to concede Sidey has been far more durable and this season has finally shown the consistency in his week to week performances
Sidey finally won a copeland in 2017 with 140 votes (which would have placed him 4th the year Beams won it) but still hasn't had a top 10 finish in the Brownlow or any other award given by industry experts
That's not a knock on Sidey you see he's spent his whole career playing in sides with truly elite players.
I'm happy to say Sidey has performed much more consistent in finals than Beams but if you don't have players like Beams turning up each week and winning games for the side players like Sidey don't get to even play finals and play well.
Beams will likely win a 3rd or is it 4th club B&F this season & finish as his teams highest vote getter in the coaches votes (and ahead of Sidey at this point in time) and more than likley in the Brownlow again (after all he does have 3 top 10 finishes already)
The statement P4S made about Langdon lifting his game is fair he's past few weeks have been ok but when your coming from such a low level going backwards is near impossible so realistically the only way is up.
I'm sure Dayne won't loss any sleep knowing P4S doesn't rate him he can sleep comfortably each night with his $900k contract safely tucked away for another 2 years. Langdon will be having sleepless nights wondering if a contract offer will be forth coming from the club or whether his career is over
Time will tell but I'm happy to bet no club will be throwing $900k a sesson at him over long term. If he can manage a 1 year deal on more than the league minimum he should grab it with both hands

I don't dislike Beams - I just think he's a reasonably poor footballer - and that view has nothing to do with liking Sidebottom. Rather, for me, Beams is an overrated spud. I always have thought that. I understand that I'm in the minority but it has always been my view. I was pleased when he left, not because he was a traitor but just because I spent years wanting him to leave.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 am

^^^^
See P4S this is where you've lost all credibility again
You call Beams a complete "spud" in one post then expect people to take you seriously when you call Langdon the next captain
At seasons end Langdon will be basically be at the same point of his career as Beams was in 2012.
By 2012 Beams had achieved everything in the game bar winning a Brownlow and Norm Smtih. Beams would have achieved more Brownlow votes and coaches votes in a single game than Langdon has done in his entire career
By any matrix you care to use Beams is at a minimum a good player most experts rate him elite but I'll happily settle for him to be classed as a very good player
There is no expert out there claiming claiming his a spud like you suggest
We all rate players different that's fair everyone is entitled to there opinion even when I didn't rate Sidey as highly as you I never suggested he was a spud an inconsistent performer indeed but not a spud
I get you like Langdon that's fine I don't that's cool but the biggest difference between Beams and Langdon is Beams is a match winner Langdon at his absolute best is a average player. Langdon is now rated the 432nd rated player in the AFL Beams is top 20. In his position Langdon is rated in the bottom 20% Beams the top 10%.
I actually at one stage during his first 20-30 games thought Langdon was tracking to be a decent player. Since his knee injury his performances have been nothing short of dismal most weeks.
He does have courage and does at times do some outstanding acts including making strong tackles, great spoils and takes the occasional awesome mark. But he will never captain this club or any AFL club for that matter. If we had every player on our list available and in form his position in the side would be in jeopardy depending on our opponent that weekend. If we played a side with mostly mid ranged height players he may get a game but he wouldn't be a certain starter. If he was as you claim such a walk up start I'm sure the club would have locked away his services long before now like they have done with Scharenberg and the other 14 players the club has signed this season for upcoming seasons
Don't panic mate Beams won't be back at Collingwood we couldn't afford his price tag. He's at a level now any club wanting to lure him will have to find a minimum of $700k that's how he's rated in the game. Had he stayed at Collingwood in the first place that the sort of money he would have been on now. His value to the club was noted early with him given a contract extension after just 10 senior games. Granted it's not unusual for outstanding 1st year players to be extended early on like we did with Stephenson but back in 2009 it wasn't as common as it is now.
At the end of the day your opinion of Beams is in total contrast with basically everyone from posters on nicks to industry experts hence why you have zero credibility when it comes to judging players
E 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
^^^^
See P4S this is where you've lost all credibility again
You call Beams a complete "spud" in one post then expect people to take you seriously when you call Langdon the next captain
At seasons end Langdon will be basically be at the same point of his career as Beams was in 2012.
By 2012 Beams had achieved everything in the game bar winning a Brownlow and Norm Smtih. Beams would have achieved more Brownlow votes and coaches votes in a single game than Langdon has done in his entire career
By any matrix you care to use Beams is at a minimum a good player most experts rate him elite but I'll happily settle for him to be classed as a very good player
There is no expert out there claiming claiming his a spud like you suggest
We all rate players different that's fair everyone is entitled to there opinion even when I didn't rate Sidey as highly as you I never suggested he was a spud an inconsistent performer indeed but not a spud
I get you like Langdon that's fine I don't that's cool but the biggest difference between Beams and Langdon is Beams is a match winner Langdon at his absolute best is a average player. Langdon is now rated the 432nd rated player in the AFL Beams is top 20. In his position Langdon is rated in the bottom 20% Beams the top 10%.
I actually at one stage during his first 20-30 games thought Langdon was tracking to be a decent player. Since his knee injury his performances have been nothing short of dismal most weeks.
He does have courage and does at times do some outstanding acts including making strong tackles, great spoils and takes the occasional awesome mark. But he will never captain this club or any AFL club for that matter. If we had every player on our list available and in form his position in the side would be in jeopardy depending on our opponent that weekend. If we played a side with mostly mid ranged height players he may get a game but he wouldn't be a certain starter. If he was as you claim such a walk up start I'm sure the club would have locked away his services long before now like they have done with Scharenberg and the other 14 players the club has signed this season for upcoming seasons
Don't panic mate Beams won't be back at Collingwood we couldn't afford his price tag. He's at a level now any club wanting to lure him will have to find a minimum of $700k that's how he's rated in the game. Had he stayed at Collingwood in the first place that the sort of money he would have been on now. His value to the club was noted early with him given a contract extension after just 10 senior games. Granted it's not unusual for outstanding 1st year players to be extended early on like we did with Stephenson but back in 2009 it wasn't as common as it is now.
At the end of the day your opinion of Beams is in total contrast with basically everyone from posters on nicks to industry experts hence why you have zero credibility when it comes to judging players

you are equally off on Langdon. You think he'll be lucky to get another contract at Collingwood when Collingwood think he is one of the first picked....

You have both thrown each other for a loop and neither of your views are balanced or credible when criticizing the other person's favorite player.....

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 am

Collingwood won the game in the second quarter by starving Brisbane up forward and gradually wrestling back into the game on the scoreboard, mostly in the last 5 minutes. In the first half of the quarter, Brisbane did not have a single shot on goal - anyone watching the replay can see that’s because Langdon stopped each Brisbane forward entry in that time. They had just 2 shots on goal for the entire second quarter, one when McStay outmarked Murray and the other when Hipwood marked a few moments later. In the first case, Langdon outpositioned Hipwood but Murray couldn’t get a defensive hand to the ball and in the second case, Brisbane moved it forward through the far side of the ground, away from Langdon - given his defensive dominance, that was smart from them. If JDG had nailed the couple of early shots he had that quarter from Tommy’s rebounds, the game might have been over before half time. Langdon was the dominant figure in the Brisbane half of the ground during Collingwood’s comeback - indeed, the only other backman who had an aerial impact for us in that second quarter was Magden: he took one solid mark but was otherwise unsighted in that quarter.

Meanwhile, Beams got his hands on the ball a lot during that period and generated precisely nothing, which is, of course, his forte.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am

See qldmagpie67 this is where you've lost all credibility again...you should refrain from commenting on anything related to the spud.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 am

I’m not buying into the Beams tit for tat but what is relevant is that opposition clubs nearly always put more time into negating Zorko, than they do Beams.

That suggests three things to me -

1 ) Whatever people think of Beams, internally, Zorko is rated higher.
2 ) Beams on occasions, is certainly the beneficiary of the extra work that’s put into Zorko.
3 ) Eternal bias and agendas will win out over a measured and educated debate every time.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Beams (if he returns) is still a huge upgrade on at least 50% of our current list. That cannot be argued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 101 of 188   

Jump to: