Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I think both Beams and Sidey are great players. I'm not sure why some people are obsessed about comparing them.

I agree. I suspect its because they were in the same draft class...

Other factors that make the comparison interesting.

Sidey pick 12, Beams pick 29 (and a steal)
Sidey had a big impact in our flag, Beams, nearly no impact.
Beams became a star from about years 3-6 of career, while Sidey seemed to hit a plateau (and was actually not terribly effective - at least in the court of popular opinion).
Beams abandoned Collingwod, Sidey stayed through the lean years.
Sidey has become an absolute champion ofour club, Beams has been somewhat out of the spotlight.

QldMagpies LOOOOVES Beams and pots Sidey to express that love (and bait P4S)
P4S Looooooves Sidey and pots Beams to express that love (and bait QldMagpies)........

I could go on......

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 am

E that's a fair assumption but in all fairness my relationship with Dayne and his family hasn't clouded my view as much as some think
I was critical of him in private about his departure and have spoken to him at length about it. Knowing him since he was 5 years old I'm obviously in a privileged position to know more than is in the public domain. I wouldn't ever betray that trust and hence why I haven't
The comment made by a previous poster that the club wanted to relocate Dayne and his father to Melbourne and pay for his treatment isn't true. The club did speak to both Dayne and his father whether that was a option and it was his father who didn't want to be in Melbourne. His mates were in Queensland and he wanted to be there. It was never Dayne's decision to make
I have said many times Eddie and the club including bucks were nothing but sensational in there treatment of Dayne and his family when his fathers condition was first diagnosed
It's not commonly known but when Dayne was notified by his father of the cancer he wanted to immediately go home to check on his father. He was granted leave by the club and he went. What isn't known is Eddie was on a plane later that day and arrived at the Beams household to offer any assistance he could to both Dayne and his father
Eddie made weekly calls to PHIL (Dayne's dad) and also made a second trip to Queensland when PHIL come home after his first operation
I know for a fact Dayne is forever grateful to Eddie and the club for the manner they tested him and his father
At the funeral which was attended by quite a few Collingwood current and former players including Sidey there was a huge reef of flowers adorned in the black & white ribbons with a photo of Dayne and his dad when he was presented with his first jersey. It was sent by the club with a personally hand written letter from Eddie signed by the coach and playing group
Eddie made note in his letter "once a magpie always a magpie"
It's a romantic notion he would come back but I agree we well situated for mids and our priorities should be elsewhere
On a personal note many posters here when I posted Dayne's dad had passed commented and passed on condolences including my ole sparring partner P4S and too me whilst we don't always see eye to eye here for those posters to take the time meant loads to me and I did pass it on to Dayne and his siblings who also were very grateful
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
E that's a fair assumption but in all fairness my relationship with Dayne and his family hasn't clouded my view as much as some think
I was critical of him in private about his departure and have spoken to him at length about it. Knowing him since he was 5 years old I'm obviously in a privileged position to know more than is in the public domain. I wouldn't ever betray that trust and hence why I haven't
The comment made by a previous poster that the club wanted to relocate Dayne and his father to Melbourne and pay for his treatment isn't true. The club did speak to both Dayne and his father whether that was a option and it was his father who didn't want to be in Melbourne. His mates were in Queensland and he wanted to be there. It was never Dayne's decision to make
I have said many times Eddie and the club including bucks were nothing but sensational in there treatment of Dayne and his family when his fathers condition was first diagnosed
It's not commonly known but when Dayne was notified by his father of the cancer he wanted to immediately go home to check on his father. He was granted leave by the club and he went. What isn't known is Eddie was on a plane later that day and arrived at the Beams household to offer any assistance he could to both Dayne and his father
Eddie made weekly calls to PHIL (Dayne's dad) and also made a second trip to Queensland when PHIL come home after his first operation
I know for a fact Dayne is forever grateful to Eddie and the club for the manner they tested him and his father
At the funeral which was attended by quite a few Collingwood current and former players including Sidey there was a huge reef of flowers adorned in the black & white ribbons with a photo of Dayne and his dad when he was presented with his first jersey. It was sent by the club with a personally hand written letter from Eddie signed by the coach and playing group
Eddie made note in his letter "once a magpie always a magpie"
It's a romantic notion he would come back but I agree we well situated for mids and our priorities should be elsewhere
On a personal note many posters here when I posted Dayne's dad had passed commented and passed on condolences including my ole sparring partner P4S and too me whilst we don't always see eye to eye here for those posters to take the time meant loads to me and I did pass it on to Dayne and his siblings who also were very grateful

I’m gobsmacked. Thankyou for sharing, cheers

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 am

As long as we don't have to give up Crisp and De Goey, I like the romance of it. I just don't know where he fits these days.

If he turns up at the Copeland this year, you know its on Wink
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 am

^^Thanks for sharing QM67
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for that insight QM67.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:09 pm

I would love him back.
I am and have always been a huge fan of Beamsy.

He fits in - across half forward where he can be a damaging flanker, and swap out for stints in the guts. He, Taylor Adams, and Sier would be an amazing midfield. That allows for Treloar, Sidey and Pendles free to do damage on the outside, but swap into the guts as required.

I am not concerned if we miss out on T Lynch as his value may be too high, but surely if Beams is an option we must explore it as best we can.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm

mattdally wrote:
I would love him back.
I am and have always been a huge fan of Beamsy.

He fits in - across half forward where he can be a damaging flanker, and swap out for stints in the guts. He, Taylor Adams, and Sier would be an amazing midfield. That allows for Treloar, Sidey and Pendles free to do damage on the outside, but swap into the guts as required.

I am not concerned if we miss out on T Lynch as his value may be too high, but surely if Beams is an option we must explore it as best we can.

Would Lions do the Right Thing for Beams Though?

mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Who knows - but as he is contracted - we would need to give up overs as they did for us.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Beams said himself in his first interview when he arrived at the Brions that he wouldn't have even considered leaving if his father wasn't sick and that he greatly appreciated all the support Collingwood/Eddie gave him during the process. I don't understand where all the comments around animosity between the two parties (and Bucks in particular) even come from.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat for what it's worth, we are way closer to a premiership than people realised coming in to this year. And while our midfield bats deep, you can never have too many smooth moving, goal kicking mids. Get Beams and we get the freedom to play JDG as a permanent forward.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 pm

mattdally wrote:
Who knows - but as he is contracted - we would need to give up overs as they did for us.

Exactly.

Would love him back, but cant think of a possible trade that the Lions would take that I think would be worth it.

We have other areas to correct first, namely our KPP stocks.

If 1: we manage to get who we want in free agency, 2: dont have to trade away too much and 3: don't have to pay Beams a massive salary, then I'd go for it. Sadly, I dont think we can afford to pay him.

Lets address our biggest needs first and see where we're at late in the trade period.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:03 pm

This rumour isn't going away - personally I think he is better to our structure than Lynch.

Go Pies!
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Aren't the Ox and Josh Smith Queenslanders?

Just sayin...
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Aren't the Ox and Josh Smith Queenslanders?

Just sayin...

Yes they are and maybe it's a little known fact Josh Thomas was recommended to Collingwood by Dayne
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Beams would be nearly as important as Sidebottom 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 103 of 188   

Jump to: