Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Possible Round 1 team 2019/Best 22

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Love that Mayne is now considered best 22, even when completely injury free. Being near our best in a Grand Final certainly changes perspectives. And to think this was a guy some used to say you can't win a Premiership with.

We didn’t and we can’t. His effort in the Grand Final was fantastic but he’s not quick enough to close down space when the opposition is going the other way.

I used to think my Dad was crazy when he said we couldn’t win a flag with Kink in the team - but after 5 goes in 5 years, I started to see his point. That point was, of course, reinforced watching Kink star for Essendon in 1983.

Mayne has now played in 2 GFs for 0-2.

Spurious statistic P4S, unless you think he's the reason Freo and the Pies lost those Grand Finals which is also untrue. If he's getting the blame because we lost the GF, should he get some credit for helping us get there in the first place? Or is it an all of the blame and none of the credit scenario?

You started off quite nuanced but quoting that stat at the end was a tad reductive.

True. I accept that. I did, at the time, think that he was a large part of the reason Freo lost. He certainly wan't the reason we lost this year.

I probably shouldn't say that we can't win a flag with Mayne in the team. These days, Grand Finals have to be won by teams with a few below-par players, because it is no longer possible to recruit top-end talent across the field. What I actually think is that he's a bit irrelevant to our prospects, at best, and his particular pace deficit is a definite area of risk.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:14 am

Just to place my comment about his Freo Grand Final in context, this is what I posted in the Hawks v Dockers Grand Final thread at 3.37 pm on 28 September 2013 (I can't just quote it because the thread is locked).

doriswilgus wrote:
Fremantle dreadful.This is the worst finals performance......since us three weeks ago against Port Adelaide.

That may be - but the thing is, in 6 months' time, no-one (except the usual Nick's grumps) will care about Collingwood's below-par performance, whereas if your team does this in a Grand Final, you never really get over it.

Pearce, Fyffe and Mayne should all reflect carefully on their performances - they have failed big time, so far.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 am

We are assuming that such a "best 22" side has everyone at full fitness. Accordingly, can't believe how most of you would have Wells out of the best 22 side. As much as I like Sier, the return of Beams (and fitness of Wells) puts his spot in some jeopardy
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Possible Round 1 team 2019Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Ok somebody had to be the first to go here:

B: Maynard Moore Langdon
HB: Pendlebury Howe Crisp
C: Phillips Treloar Sidebottom
HF: DeGoey Mihocek Hoskin Elliott
F: Elliott Cox Stephenson
F: Grundy Beams Adams
ICH: Sier, Thomas, Varcoe, Mayne
EMERG: Wells, Goldsack, Aish, Roughead

Backup:

Broomhead
Murphy
T Brown
CBrown
Daicos
Crocker
Rupert Wills
Greenwood
Dunn (subject to injury)
Scharenberg
Reid
Appleby
Quaynor & Kelly (subject to draft)

Excited by our depth and options!

You know you’re the resident possible best 22 threadmaster INXS 😀

What I do like about this list is the versatility and depth.
The club has 6 months to map out positions for players who may have “ never “ played that role previously.
Maybe Pendlebury to H B ? Howe to the forward line ? Stephenson up the ground ? W H E up the ground ? DeGoey as a permanent forward ? Moore forward again ?
I’m only throwing it out there, I’m not advocating the above should happen but I think we should prepare ourselves for a changing of the guard with a player or two being used in a different role.
The new 6 6 6 starting points are really going to change the way it’s played, particularly at the first play after the centre bounces. It’s going to be a real challenge for clubs to get the front 6 mis matches right from the start. I also expect more horses for courses changes from one week to the next and we certainly now have the depth and versatility to take advantage of the centre bounces.
Bring it on.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:25 pm

tbaker wrote:
We are assuming that such a "best 22" side has everyone at full fitness. Accordingly, can't believe how most of you would have Wells out of the best 22 side. As much as I like Sier, the return of Beams (and fitness of Wells) puts his spot in some jeopardy

Wells would be lucky to play 10 games. I still prefer Sier....

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Yeah it's early, but so what.

From the OP, they have made the following changes from the GF team;

IN: Moore, Elliott, Beams.

OUT: Goldsack, Aish, Greenwood.

With Blair, Reid, Brown & Appleby being replaced as the emergencies by Wells, Goldsack, Aish & Roughead.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm

inxs88 wrote:

Backup:

Broomhead
Murphy
T Brown
CBrown
Daicos
Crocker
Rupert Wills
Greenwood
Dunn (subject to injury)
Scharenberg
Reid
Appleby
Quaynor & Kelly (subject to draft)

Excited by our depth and options!

I'd have roughead in at full back. Beams would start on the bench

B: Maynard Roughead Langdon
HB: Howe Moore Crisp
F: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
ICH: Sier, Thomas, Varcoe, Beams
EMERG: Wells, Goldsack, Aish, Mayne

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:57 pm

That backline has too many talls. You forgot to leave Langdon out.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 pm

inxs88 wrote:

Nailed it first up. Don't reckon I'd change a single one of those selections. OK, I'd put Wells in if he was really and truly fully fit, presumably replacing Thomas or Varcoe, but who here believes that Wells will ever be really and truly fit again? Anyone?

No-one. Right. As you were.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Tannin wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Nailed it first up. Don't reckon I'd change a single one of those selections. OK, I'd put Wells in if he was really and truly fully fit, presumably replacing Thomas or Varcoe, but who here believes that Wells will ever be really and truly fit again? Anyone?

It looks pretty good alright. If I had one criticism of it, is that we don’t have many ground ball winners in the backline. We look ok in the air and intercepting but I would worry if the ball went to ground, especially since the extra won’t be back there as often next year.
What we really need is for an Aish / Appleby type to make big strides in the preseason and own a small defender spot ( given that most teams will probably run with at least 2 small high pressure forwards )
Quaynor may get a chance but there’s a lot to learn first up.
I thought Aish defended one on one well enough in the finals without giving us much drive, so if he can step up next year, I think that looks a better balance with a smaller player back there.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 pm

^ Good thinking there. Pies 2016. Possibly Aish would replace Varcoe or Thomas. Actually, come to think of it, Varcoe can play HBF, he;'s pretty good at it. Crisp and Maynard play small when required, as does Langdon to a lesser extent.

Love Varcoe, he's just about my favourite player, but you have to wonder how many years he has left in him now.

Pendlebury, of course, has never contested a ground ball in his life and wouldn't be any good at it ... er ...

MAY-Z 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Tannin wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

It looks pretty good alright. If I had one criticism of it, is that we don’t have many ground ball winners in the backline. We look ok in the air and intercepting but I would worry if the ball went to ground, especially since the extra won’t be back there as often next year.
What we really need is for an Aish / Appleby type to make big strides in the preseason and own a small defender spot ( given that most teams will probably run with at least 2 small high pressure forwards )
Quaynor may get a chance but there’s a lot to learn first up.
I thought Aish defended one on one well enough in the finals without giving us much drive, so if he can step up next year, I think that looks a better balance with a smaller player back there.

You would hope with the strength we have built into our centre square that we won’t be defending first from the centre bounce so the extra defender should be in position by the time the opposition get a chance to go forward, with 6-6-6 midfield strength should ensure you get first scoring chance after each goal
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
That backline has too many talls. You forgot to leave Langdon out.

Langdon is my height, Tall in real life but only mid sized in AFL

tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

If Wells is not going to be fit then he wouldn't even be an available emergency. But that's not what this thread is about...it's the best 22 from our entire list, not the best 22 of who we think will be available. If you take the latter approach then Elliott will be with Wells...somewhere in never-land...
Hooyah Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 am

We’re in a very strange predicament with our list at the moment, I believe our biggest strength is also our biggest weakness. We have so many players that can play multiple positions and usually when that happens some players thrive and some fall out of favour. It’s hard to think that most of these 22 predictions will be wrong but in all likely good how many of this years changes did we all predict? Probably not too many.

The good news is we got great form out of players we might not have room for in the future, I can see us trading out 1-2 out of favour smaller forward types at the end of next year as we have a surplus of those now.
If Elliot recaptures his form then someone has to make way, and it boggles me who he would replace
Stephenson the young gun? Unlikely, too early for him to play mid
W-HE tapered off and went up the ground but still had a great year
JDG- apart from 5 minute spirts in the mid he will be at FF or the picket all year
Thomas has a long contract of 3 years and we clearly rate him forward

I fear Crocker,Daicos & Browne will struggle to get many games unless we get destroyed by injuries in the front half this time.

I like the beams pickup, he would slot in very well in a middle/half forward role swapping with Thomas or JDG he’s older so maybe not as many mid field minutes but that’s hardly a concern with our depth.

I’d suggest that pendles will slide in behind the ball a bit more allowing Sidey to be a little bit more focused on attacking. Or perhaps Sidey will stay wing/behind the ball and that frees pendles to be the link up kick from themiddle to the forwards.

Pushing our mids outside of the middle will have a ripple effect on the team and will challenge players like Mayne, Aish, Varcoe,Thomas, WH-E, Greenwood, Etc. This can only be a good thing.

With the new ruck rules our midfield won’t be as easy to shutdown, even from behind we can score heavily and quickly with the 6-6-6 and Grundy being able to tap it to the best mids in the comp or take it himself and bomb it on the boot.

Seir? (Spelling) will struggle to get a game unless we see a slump or injury from our proven mids. He’s a gun and will get his chance but beams, and possibly wells coming back in with Treloar now fit could make it hard for his type.

I think if we get the same buy in as we did this year, which should happen because they all know the heartache now those who missed our, those who lost and those who did not perform will all be hungry and will all have to earn every game. Then we can easily push for top 4 and another deep finals run.

Essendon, Tigers, Eagles & Melbourne have all improved their squads and will have big players returning so we willl need to lift dramatically just to finish 3rd again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: