Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Possible Round 1 team 2019/Best 22

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

tbaker wrote:
We are assuming that such a "best 22" side has everyone at full fitness. Accordingly, can't believe how most of you would have Wells out of the best 22 side. As much as I like Sier, the return of Beams (and fitness of Wells) puts his spot in some jeopardy

Whose place would Wells take, even assuming he were fit? He’s going to turn 34 before the next season starts. Personally, I still like McKenna for full-forward and Phil at CHF - but at some stage, you’ve got to accept that time has moved on.

Isn’t the recruitment of Beams - whatever view I take of it - an implicit acknowledgement that Wells is actually stuffed? We didn’t recruit Beams to replace Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams, Treloar, Phillips, Sier or Stevo. He was brought in to complement them. He hasn’t been recruited as depth - he’s recruited as starting 22, so he’s replaced someone in our plans. It’s possible Wells might play ahead of Thomas (who, I might parenthetically add, had a poorish finals series, managing only 2 behinds across the PF and GF) but only as filler, now. We know his body won’t stand up, so it’s just a waste of time pretending.
KellyD33P 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am

B: Tom Langdon , Jared Roughead , Darcy Moore
HB: Jack Crisp , Jeremy Howe , Brayden Maynard
C: Steele Sidebottom , Scott Pendlebury , Tom Phillips
HF: Travis Varcoe , Mason Cox , Jamie Elliot
F: Jaidyn Stephenson , Jordan De Goey , Brody Mihochek
Foll: Brodie Grundy , Adam Treloar , Taylor Adams

Int: Dayne Beams , Brayden Sier, Flynn Appleby , Will Hoskin-Elliot

Emg: Daniel Wells , Tyson Goldsack , James Aish , Josh Thomas

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

Langdon Dunn Maynard
Crisp Moore Howe
Sidebottom Beams WHE
Varcoe Cox Elliott
Stephenson De Goey, Mihocek
Grundy Pendlebury Adams

Int : Sier, Murphy, Treloar, Aish

Emg: Roughead, Thomas, Wells

We've got to see some improvement come through in order to maintain our spot in the pecking order
- Beams as a recruit
- Moore, Elliott and Dunn as injured players returned
- Murphy as a young, up and comer

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am

Don't think our list has batted as deep and with such quality in my 40 years of watching the Pies. Sustained success is needed!
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Clearly those players that are strong 1-1 will become of greater value

Cox one out
Degoey one out
Hoskin-Elliott Elliott one out
Elliott one out

Who are the opposition going to play on Stephenson .... someone for pace or someone for aerial..... good luck with that

If there is quicker movement into the forward line out of the centre , i believe a good proportion with be kicks under pressure out of the middle having a forward structure we have been running for a year will be in a better position to develop than most...ie strong players that are above average aerially strong for the size...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pm

mgh3536 wrote:
Clearly those players that are strong 1-1 will become of greater value

Cox one out
Degoey one out
Hoskin-Elliott Elliott one out
Elliott one out

Who are the opposition going to play on Stephenson .... someone for pace or someone for aerial..... good luck with that

If there is quicker movement into the forward line out of the centre , i believe a good proportion with be kicks under pressure out of the middle having a forward structure we have been running for a year will be in a better position to develop than most...ie strong players that are above average aerially strong for the size...

If we flip this around, other clubs will also be saying they have their forward line weapons too. We now have to contend with Riewoldt and Lynch one week and then something completely different the following week.
I posted earlier that I think we will see a lot more weekly horses for courses team changes than in the past. This because the focus will switch to nullifying one on one rather than relying on the help of the extra on most occasions.
List profiles that are flexible and deep will be the biggest winners and to finally get around to your point, I think this is where we should aim to have an edge over most.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Don't think our list has batted as deep and with such quality in my 40 years of watching the Pies...

Really? This sounds very optimistic... I'm a bit surprised people think this. (I don't think you're the only one.)
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Delist Blair, Crocker, Kirby, Broomhead (I reckon they’ll rookie list him). With Roughhead coming in, he effectively is an upgrade on McLarty and Magden. I reckon Magden and McLarty could be de-listed, McLarty a chance to go onto the rookie list.

So I think the outs ~ Blair, Crocker, Kirby, McLarty, Magden.
In ~ Quaynor, Kelly, Roughead, (Keane & Tohill Int’l rookies)

Given we have traded our 1st pick next year we’ll only be going after those under Free Agency in 2019 as we won’t have much to trade with given recent signings.

Wells and Goldsack retire + 2 others at the end of 2019 it’ll free up some cap space to the tune of $1.2m. Gives the $currency to have a crack at UFA's.

The senior list if we can hold that spine, particularly FB & CHB should give us another tilt at the top 4.

Seniors

B: Maynard Dunn Howe
HB: Langdon Moore Crisp
C: Treloar Pendlebury Sidebottom
R: Grundy Beams Adams
HF: JDG Mihocek WHE
F: Elliott Cox Stephenson

ICH: Sier, Thomas, Varcoe, Phillips

Reserves
B: Quaynor Roughhead Smith
HB: Appleby W Kelly Goldsack
C: Daicos T Brown Aish
R : Lynch Greenwood Wills
HF: Mayne Reid Murphy
F: Broomhead VFL C Brown

ICH: Keane (B) Category B rookie, Tohill (B) Category B rookie, VFL, VFL

New
Depth (+ Roughhead)
Development (+ Quaynor, Keane, Kelly, Tohill)
VFL or draft

Seniors
Injury : Scharenberg , Wells

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Wonder if we get Whorethron again for round 1?
Doc63 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I dont think Elliott will be in the seniors for Round 1 I think they'll want to get a few full games under his belt before they bring him back in. If Dunn isn't ready, they might go with Roughhead at full back. I also cant see Reid forcing out Mihocek for Round 1. It will be interesting to see if they persist with him forward.

B: Maynard Dunn Howe
HB: Langdon Moore Crisp
C: Mayne Pendlebury Sidebottom
R: Grundy Beams Adams
HF: Thomas Mihocek WHE
F: JDG Cox Stephenson

ICH: Sier, Treloar , Varcoe, Phillips

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am

Trying to select a round 1 team is near impossible
There's too many unknown factors

How will our injured players come up ?
Will new recruits slot in automatically?
Will our draftees force there way in ?
Wil finals performance give players a head start on others through loyalty?
Will the rule changes impact our selections ?

As for the injured players Scharenberg & Elliott will have to prove there fitness in the VFL for a few weeks IMO
Dunn & Moore more likely to be available round 1
Reid IMO becomes back up

Beams comes straight in
Roughead may get a gig if Dunn isn't right to go
Don't think either Quaynor or Kelly will force there way in but Quaynor's speed might get him a game earlier
Loyalty to the players who got us to the GF will likely happen for obvious reasons but I'm sure if other players who we rate highly are right to go and it adds more balance to the team then there could be a couple changes
The 6-6-6 rule might have a small impact but we won't know how much until we see how it works in game scenario
1 on 1 contests will now be pivotal and players who can excel in this facet might get games ahead of others
A forward like Cox 1-1 is great for us if he can clunk them
Winning more centre clearances will be vital
Defenders who play 1-1 will be first selected

With all that said IMO this will be our round 1 side

B. Crisp. Dunn. Howe
HB. Maynard. Moore. Langdon
C. Sidey. Phillips. Treloar
HF. WHE. Mihoeck. Pendles
F. JDG. Cox. Stephenson
R. Grundy. Adams. Beams
Int. Goldie. Aish. Sier. Varcoe

Last edited by qldmagpie67 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 am

Trying to select a round 1 team is near impossible
There's too many unknown factors

How will our injured players come up ?
Will new recruits slot in automatically?
Will our draftees force there way in ?
Wil finals performance give players a head start on others through loyalty?
Will the rule changes impact our selections ?

As for the injured players Scharenberg & Elliott will have to prove there fitness in the VFL for a few weeks IMO
Dunn & Moore more likely to be available round 1
Reid IMO becomes back up

Beams comes straight in
Roughead may get a gig if Dunn isn't right to go
Don't think either Quaynor or Kelly will force there way in but Quaynor's speed might get him a game earlier
Loyalty to the players who got us to the GF will likely happen for obvious reasons but I'm sure if other players who we rate highly are right to go and it adds more balance to the team then there could be a couple changes
The 6-6-6 rule might have a small impact but we won't know how much until we see how it works in game scenario
1 on 1 contests will now be pivotal and players who can excel in this facet might get games ahead of others
A forward like Cox 1-1 is great for us if he can clunk them
Winning more centre clearances will be vital
Defenders who play 1-1 will be first selected

With all that said IMO this will be our round 1 side

B. Crisp. Dunn. Howe
HB. Maynard. Moore. Langdon
C. Sidey. Phillips. Treloar
HF. WHE. Mihoeck. Pendles
F. JDG. Cox. Stephenson
R. Grundy. Adams. Beams
Int. Goldie. Aish. Sier Varcoe
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:58 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
tbaker wrote:
We are assuming that such a "best 22" side has everyone at full fitness. Accordingly, can't believe how most of you would have Wells out of the best 22 side. As much as I like Sier, the return of Beams (and fitness of Wells) puts his spot in some jeopardy

Whose place would Wells take, even assuming he were fit? He’s going to turn 34 before the next season starts. Personally, I still like McKenna for full-forward and Phil at CHF - but at some stage, you’ve got to accept that time has moved on.

Isn’t the recruitment of Beams - whatever view I take of it - an implicit acknowledgement that Wells is actually stuffed? We didn’t recruit Beams to replace Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams, Treloar, Phillips, Sier or Stevo. He was brought in to complement them. He hasn’t been recruited as depth - he’s recruited as starting 22, so he’s replaced someone in our plans. It’s possible Wells might play ahead of Thomas (who, I might parenthetically add, had a poorish finals series, managing only 2 behinds across the PF and GF) but only as filler, now. We know his body won’t stand up, so it’s just a waste of time pretending.

So now Wells is not only not injury free, but he's also too old? The club didn't think he would be too old at 34 when they offered him the 3 year deal.
Yes, Wells could replace Josh Thomas, or Sier (who, whilst a good prospect, simply is not the quality player Wells is). Of course if Wells comes in and is too slow and can't keep up etc., then of course he will no longer be in our best 22.
Disagree about any correlation between recruiting Beams and the situation of Wells - if that were the case then who did they recruit Roughead to replace? The answer is no-one, because they have recruited both players to complement our list, not push anyone out.
The positive out of all this is the depth of our list - the very fact that we're talking about a player the calibre of Wells missing out on our best 22 (among other notable players) indicates we are in a very good position indeed...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:36 am

well, perhaps they did but had to offer him the long contract to get him here. Who knows or cares? Anyway, they made their decision a couple of years ago and did not have the benefit of hindsight. If he can stand up unassisted without tearing his calf, I’ll take that as a positive but I can’t see any reason to think that his body is goin* to get better. He was broken before we recruited him. In the last 5 seasons, he’s played more than 10 games just once. He would plainly be delisted, if we could.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:37 am

ooopssssssss.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: