Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

National and Rookie Drafts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4everpies 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^No worries, you're doing a good job with all this stuff. It's my first "go to" for info.👏👏
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Question, what happens if a kid gets drafted by a club they don't want to play for, refuse to sign a contract and don't engage with the club in any way? What hold does the club that drafted them have?

The kid obviously couldn't play AFL but could the club that drafted them prevent them playing in a lower league for the season?

Having never signed a contract, are they free to be drafted by anyone the following year or can the club that drafted them, trade them?

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Question, what happens if a kid gets drafted by a club they don't want to play for, refuse to sign a contract and don't engage with the club in any way? What hold does the club that drafted them have?

The kid obviously couldn't play AFL but could the club that drafted them prevent them playing in a lower league for the season?

Having never signed a contract, are they free to be drafted by anyone the following year or can the club that drafted them, trade them?

This sounds kind of like the [threatened] Buckley situation when Brisbane drafted him. He ended up contracting with them for a year on the understanding of a trade though.

Re the third para, if listed the club can trade the player (with the player's consent); if delisted the palyer is a delisted free agent; or if uncontracted (whether listed or unlisted) then the player can nominate for the draft the following year.

I'll look into paras 1 and 2.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:52 pm

It's been threatened before. Just curious as to what hold a club has if they draft someone who point blank refuses to sign a contract.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 pm

^^^

Drafted Player Bound for 23 Months
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in these Rules, any Player selected by a Club at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting shall be ineligible to be included on the List of any other Club for a period of 23 months from the date when he is selected save as is provided in Rule 9 or where such Player is deleted from a Club’s List other than pursuant to Rule 7.8(b).
(b) If a Player who has been selected at a Draft Selection Meeting has refused for a period of 12 months after being drafted to enter into a Contract of Service with the Club then, provided the Player is not entitled to be included on the Primary List of another Club, the Club may apply to the Commission to delete such Player from its Primary List and to add another Player to its Primary List upon such terms as the Commission may determine.
(c) Notwithstanding that the Club has listed another Player under Rule 7.8(b) the Player originally selected by the Club shall remain bound to the Club for 23 months from his selection. If subsequently he is registered by the Club then it must delete another Player from its Primary List.

I’ve had a quick look Stui and I can’t find any restrictions on playing for a non-AFL club. It’s possible I’ve missed it, but I haven’t found it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Cheers mate.

It really is a master slave scenario isn't it. If you want to play AFL, you go where you're drafted or sit out for up to 2 years. No wonder we're seeing so many lids doing their 2 years then looking for a trade

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:58 pm

K wrote:
Well, the Gleeson Age article claimed "Clubs are able to go into deficit in points the following year up to a maximum of 1723 points," so even if Q&K attract such early interest there's some wiggle room... But I'm assuming we actually have at least 1723 points next year. Is that a reasonable assumption? I assume you can only be in deficit for one year.

I haven't seen the written rule for this, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I reckon the maximum is (or at least should be) 1726 points as that is the minimum number of points attached to picks when finishing 1st (ignoring impact of potential priority selections and FA compensation picks):

18 (985)
36 (502)
54 (220)
72 (19)

Of course, that maximum doesn't really work where future picks have been traded away.

To answer your specific question K, we clearly will not have that many points next year (unless we trade in picks) as we have traded out our first rounder.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 pm

I might hire one of you guys to do my tax returns; you all seem pretty cluey!
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 pm

By the way, i wonder if we actually wanted to keep pick 57 precisely because it wont get lost to points (rather than get more points). Given that we are going to go into deficit next year in all likelihood, at least we get one live pick in the draft. Given all the points being used, this pick might end up in the 40's. Maybe we have our eye on someone in addition to the academy, F/S players.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm

K wrote:
bally12 wrote:
It's pretty clear we will bid on Quaynor and Kelly. As rival clubs know this, what stops then from bidding on them early, so that they can force us to pay maximum points?

They won't take that risk on behalf of the other 16 clubs. They have to be comfortable with taking the player if our club declines.

They might be inclined to do it to kill another team's first round pick once the player is close to being drafted in the right spot, but do you really think they'd do it to hurt a team by a few hundred "points". Seems like too much of a risk.

Imagine we had pick 18 and the team picking with pick 17 chose IQ even though they prefer another player. By choosing Quaynor they would be giving us the choice as to whether to take their preferred player or ours. Not sure a club would give us that choice.

I also dont think we match for Quaynor if Carlton decides he's the number 1 pick, but then Carlton would have made a stupid mistake.

This is the logic as to why the player really ends up being taken only when the person is in their correct range (and the team picking has to feel good that they would keep him if we passed OR 100% certain we would match).

E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm

K wrote:
bally12 wrote:
It's pretty clear we will bid on Quaynor and Kelly. As rival clubs know this, what stops then from bidding on them early, so that they can force us to pay maximum points?

They won't take that risk on behalf of the other 16 clubs. They have to be comfortable with taking the player if our club declines.

They might be inclined to do it to kill another team's first round pick once the player is close to being drafted in the right spot, but do you really think they'd do it to hurt a team by a few hundred "points". Seems like too much of a risk.

Imagine we had pick 18 and the team picking with pick 17 chose IQ even though they prefer another player. By choosing Quaynor they would be giving us the choice as to whether to take their preferred player or ours. Not sure a club would give us that choice.

I also dont think we match for Quaynor if Carlton decides he's the number 1 pick, but then Carlton would have made a stupid mistake.

This is the logic as to why the player really ends up being taken only when the person is in their correct range (and the team picking has to feel good that they would keep him if we passed OR 100% certain we would match).

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
For those of you interested I emailed Michael Gleeson of The Age seeking clarification on the FA points issue and to his great credit he responded.

In his initial reply he confessed he was unaware of the provision within the CBA we had based are assumptions on and went on to say neither were some of the people from the clubs he had spoken to. He said he would seek further clarification.

He has since sent a second reply through telling me the AFL amended this provision earlier this year so FA compensation selections now have a points value.

Must say I could never understand why they shoudn't and common sense has prevailed.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks for that. I see the AFL Rules dated February 2018 are now online and they have indeed been amended.

On the March 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:57 am

Couple of relevant profiles from Draft Central worth sharing

Will Kelly
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/will-kelly/

Isaac Quaynor

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/isaac-quaynor/
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 am

On the March wrote:
Couple of relevant profiles from Draft Central worth sharing

Will Kelly
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/will-kelly/

Isaac Quaynor

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/isaac-quaynor/

Thanks for those links. If more than a fraction of what’s said about Quaynor is correct, he should be in the senior team fairly early.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:05 am

^

Agreed. Very detailed positive writeups.

By the sound of it, Kelly could play as a third tall or HBF if required while his body develops the size to play KP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24   

Jump to: