Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

National and Rookie Drafts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Tom Jok

Position: Wing
Height: 193cm
Weight: 80kg
D.O.B: 01/01/97
Recruited From: Dandenong U18/St Kevin's

The story so far: Jok is a strong athlete who spent time in the TAC Cup with the Dandenong Stingrays before becoming a St Kevin's Premiership player in 2017. Spent the pre-season recovering from injury.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 am

masoncox wrote:
^^^
Tom Jok

The story so far: Jok is a strong athlete who spent time in the TAC Cup with the Dandenong Stingrays before becoming a St Kevin's Premiership player in 2017. Spent the pre-season recovering from injury.

Yeah, hes a great prospect

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm

He either doesn't know where the weights room is or he has Kenyan in his family. His ankles go all the way to his crotch with no visible calf or quad muscles, but yes he's a good prospect.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It really is a master slave scenario isn't it. If you want to play AFL, you go where you're drafted or sit out for up to 2 years. No wonder we're seeing so many lids doing their 2 years then looking for a trade

Stui, that's the restraint-of-trade quandary isn't it?

The player has to firstly weight up passing up $100K per season to play [and presumably relocate interstate in the process], as well as two years of experience at AFL level, and the chance to be on-traded to a prefered suitor for homesickness reasons [and deal out the metal health card if necessary].

Or miss out on a guaranteed $200K, and two years of AFL standard pre-season fitness and training facilities, only have to to go through the anxiety of the draft all over again, this time two years behind schedule.

The only physical risk they are taking in that two year window is the possibility of incurring a long term injury, which might jeopardise their immediate playing future, but you'd be extremely unlucky in that instance.

It's just easier to play the AFL's draft-lotto game and manipulate it to advance your career two years down the track.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:13 am

piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
It really is a master slave scenario isn't it. If you want to play AFL, you go where you're drafted or sit out for up to 2 years. No wonder we're seeing so many lids doing their 2 years then looking for a trade

Stui, that's the restraint-of-trade quandary isn't it?

The player has to firstly weight up passing up $100K per season to play [and presumably relocate interstate in the process], as well as two years of experience at AFL level, and the chance to be on-traded to a prefered suitor for homesickness reasons [and deal out the metal health card if necessary].

Or miss out on a guaranteed $200K, and two years of AFL standard pre-season fitness and training facilities, only have to to go through the anxiety of the draft all over again, this time two years behind schedule.

The only physical risk they are taking in that two year window is the possibility of incurring a long term injury, which might jeopardise their immediate playing future, but you'd be extremely unlucky in that instance.

It's just easier to play the AFL's draft-lotto game and manipulate it to advance your career two years down the track.

Almost but not quite.

There is also the mental health strains it may take out on a young mind.

Imagine being an young minded 18 year old (say very talented) from Melbourne being drafted by the WA teams, or any of the interstate team for that matter... it is akin to slavery. And then as a young 'talented' player being continually pressured and pestered to stay in the future etc... for a full two years.

Obviously the draft system has to stay or it would compromise the whole AFL, but imo, you cannot force people to stay in far off distant places away from their family, loved ones and 'real' support systems (ie they're still there after football is over).

The individual should still have rights, and it should be draft at your own risk for the clubs. I think it should be one year, not two, and I believe that individuals should be in there full rights to say to any club - dont draft me, ill never sign another contract with you and im not interested in committing to your club mentally.

As a matter of interest what examples do we have of individuals sitting out after being drafted by a club they didnt want to commit to? MM any ideas?

ps: I know we have the Cameron McCarthy example from GWS/Fremantle.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08 am

Quaynor featured on AFL -at 182 (concedes 6 cm to Harry ,O)
Weight wise 6 kg less than Harry. But he,s still a kid but there is a point where he is on par

His explosive pace and run out of defence

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 am

masoncox wrote:
^^^
Tom Jok

Fantastic bloke, very team oriented. I hope we rookie him, if not I hope he gets picked up by another club.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:58 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Stui, that's the restraint-of-trade quandary isn't it?...

Almost but not quite.

There is also the mental health strains it may take out on a young mind.

Imagine being an young minded 18 year old (say very talented) from Melbourne being drafted by the WA teams, or any of the interstate team for that matter... it is akin to slavery.
And then as a young 'talented' player being continually pressured and pestered to stay in the future etc... for a full two years.

Obviously the draft system has to stay or it would compromise the whole AFL, but imo, you cannot force people to stay in far off distant places away from their family, loved ones and 'real' support systems (ie they're still there after football is over).

The individual should still have rights, and it should be draft at your own risk for the clubs. I think it should be one year, not two, and I believe that individuals should be in there full rights to say to any club - dont draft me, ill never sign another contract with you and im not interested in committing to your club mentally.

As a matter of interest what examples do we have of individuals sitting out after being drafted by a club they didnt want to commit to? MM any ideas?

ps: I know we have the Cameron McCarthy example from GWS/Fremantle.

It will be interesting if one player someday decides to test the draft in court.
I don't think the court could make an exception for one individual, as a precedence would then be set. The whole system would therefore be compromised, and thus fall apart as a free-for-all for draftees to go to a suitor of choice.

The only viable way around it, would be to bring in a rule where draftees can nominate for home-state retention say during the first two rounds?
For example: say Jack Lukosius is touted as #1 pick in draft; he would therefore be allocated to the Crows or Port, and whoever of the two South Australian finished lower on the ladder pre-draft would have first dibs on him. Thus if Connor Rozee was #2 pick, he would therefore go to Port.
And this would unfold again in 2nd round for potentially the 3rd and 4th best S.A. juniors to be retained in their home state.
That would keep both players away from Carlton, GCS, St.Rapist or whatever interstate cellar dwellar had designs on them.
Thus WA teams would get the first option on their best 4 local players.
Same for Qld and NSW draftees too; they wouldn't be obliged to nominate for home-state retention, but it would be available as a safeguard of sorts.
For instance Bailey Scott, son of Robert, has chosen to go to Victoria instead of going through the Suns system, after growing up on the Gold Coast.
Father/Son draftees might need to fall into the first/second rounds picks too.
At least the Victorian boys would have a chance to remain in the state, even if it means going to a weaker club in the process of a rebuild.
Any players drafted from round three onwards have their home-state retention request voided. Too bad, so sad; at this point consider yourself lucky to still be in the running to play AFL.

And if you don't like it after two years, well, just request a trade!

Not a perfect science, but perhaps worth some tinkering with a phantom draft, if anybody wants to throw one together based on those changes, I'm sure it would be an interesting exercise?

Just my 20cents worth from the ivory tower of the peanut gallery...

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:16 pm

IQ:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-10-24/tomorrows-heroes-isaac-quaynor

"I haven't really grown in the last few years."
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Thats a good,un K
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:57 pm

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25074968/afl-draft-phantom-chris-doerre-knightmare-first-two-rounds

Quaynor 10-20
Kelly 20-40

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25074968/afl-draft-phantom-chris-doerre-knightmare-first-two-rounds

Quaynor 10-20
Kelly 20-40

The earlier Quaynor goe's the worse it is for us.
Hope he goe's for 20 plus pick.
The points really fall away every pick.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Murray Trade is Really Costing Us now with this Draft.

Dumb Trade all over that was

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Dumb trade ? Or dumb player decision?

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:18 am

September Zeros wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Dumb trade ? Or dumb player decision?

Well, indulging in a recreational/performance drug and destroying his career was definitely a dumb decision.
I guess we'll never know if the trade was dumb. For mine, he showed enough in his 13 games to suggest he might have made it as a good running defender eventually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24   

Jump to: