Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Current Morrison Federal Government

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/peter-dutton-claims-bill-shorten-ignored-top-level-security-briefings-on-kerryn-phelps-refugee-bill-20190207-p50w7t.html

However, Labor quickly accused the Home Affairs Minister of "lying" about the briefings, and Mr Dutton later conceded Mr Shorten may not have actually been briefed.

Dutton's great at making false statements. Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 am

I'm sure everyone's familiar by now with the events of yesterday, in which the crossbenchers and Labor managed to pass a bill requiring the safe transfer of asylum seekers requiring medical treatment to Australia – the first time that a government has lost a substantial vote on the floor of the house since 1929.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/12/scott-morrison-suffers-historic-defeat-as-labor-and-crossbench-pass-medevac-bill

And it's passed the Senate just now, with Derryn Hinch (the last hold-out) voting in favour of it along with Tim Storer, the Centre Alliance, Labor and the Greens.

The fallout is that the government has gone absolutely nuts, warning of a flood of asylum seekers in response to this policy – seriously – and are now threatening to reopen Christmas Island.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Labor just turned Morrison's life support back on. The next election has instantly become a live contest instead of a Labor shoe in. Really dumb politics from tin ear Shorten. Will play well in inner Melbourne and Sydney and like a lead balloon everywhere else.
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:47 pm

^^ Bit unfair assuming anyone outside of Inner Melbourne and Sydney are too stupid to understand offshore processing has nothing to do with stopping the boats.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Wokko wrote:
Labor just turned Morrison's life support back on. The next election has instantly become a live contest instead of a Labor shoe in. Really dumb politics from tin ear Shorten. Will play well in inner Melbourne and Sydney and like a lead balloon everywhere else.

I feel like this election was always going to be about the Libs doing everything possible to wedge Labor on asylum seekers and national security. You can say Labor have just given them ammunition, but the thing that everyone (including, often, Labor themselves) overlooks is that a) average voters aren’t complete sheep who just fall for whatever dumb scare campaign the Libs come out with, or else the Coalition would never lose (as they just did so comprehensively in Victoria), and b) voters actually like parties to act on principle. Small-target politics may carry lower short-term risks, but it’s a long-term death spiral.

Ultimately, any sane person detached from the government’s hysterical talking points could see that this is a totally reasonable policy, regardless of their views on immigration or detention. Not everyone drinks the Liberal kool-aid and believes that ceasing to treat asylum seekers like shit for a mere second will lead to an invasion of foreigners, and I think it’s that detachment from reality more than anything else that will cost them. Something for Dutton to think about when he joins the dole queue in May.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:14 pm

^^The fear campaigns are falling on death ears. Only the dumb and ignorant will fall for their campaign once again and they most likely vote for the LNP. In saying that they may win Queensland but will lose the southern states. I bet you the non reporting of boats landing will turn into reports and it will be Labors fault.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

Of course, we all know that Morrison and co. desperately want boats to start coming – indeed, they're probably depending on it. You couldn't come to any other conclusion from this deeply evasive exchange, in which Morrison refuses even to publicise the most disappointing but also, for the deterrence brigade, most significant aspect of the bill (that it only applies to asylum seekers currently on Manus and Nauru, and no future arrivals will have access to it):

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/feb/13/coalition-labor-morrison-shorten-election-border-security-politics-live?page=with%3Ablock-5c635964e4b00ef6acc6cdac&CMP=soc_568#block-5c635964e4b00ef6acc6cdac

Quote:
Scott Morrison will not say, in this press conference, that the bill only applies to the current cohort – which is what the bill says – to deter people smugglers.

Question: Are you willing to say to would-be asylum seekers this will not apply to you if you come now?

Morrison: If we’re re-elected it won’t apply to anybody because I will reverse it … I can only say what the law says. It’s not my law. I think it’s a foolish law. It’s a foolish law and it’s not one that I support.

Question: For the sake of deterring arrivals do you say it does not apply to new arrivals?

Morrison: I’ll be engaging in direct messaging as part of Operation Sovereign Borders with people smugglers and with those who might be thinking on getting on boats. Not the first time I have done that – to send very clear messaging that my government is in control of the borders.

As long as my government is here you can expect strong border protection and resolved to be in place.

Under a Labor government you can expect them to fold like a pack of cards like Bill Shorten did yesterday.

Question: Aren’t you weakening that message, though?

Morrison: No.

Question: By not spelling out in some detail ...

Morrison: I said I’m going to be engaged in very clear and direct messaging to anyone who thinks they should get on a boat, I’m here. And I will stop you.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Quote:

Labor $1.20

Coalition $3.80

that's money talking -mammon - your sweetheart, your crush, your true love has put you in the friend zone!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:

Labor $1.20

Coalition $3.80

that's money talking -mammon - your sweetheart, your crush, your true love has put you in the friend zone!

Hillary was 7 to 1 on on election night Laughing
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Enjoy your relationship with Trump, because that's all you'll have come May

"Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small
And you don't ask the time of day
But you and I, our love will never die
But guess we'll cry come first of May"
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 pm

7 news showed a short interview with a refugee in Djakarta who is following the news closely.

Lets not kid ourselves that the offshore detention hasn't had a significant impact on boats. If it was just lack of reporting, where did they all go?

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 pm

It's the navy and coast guard keeping them away, stui. Huge money being used to fund the border protection forces.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 pm

^

But the numbers attempting it have significantly reduced, the navy and coast guard couldn't cope with the previous numbers.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Bill Shorten... how this pathetic human is going to be our PM is one nauseating thought.
Morrison isn't much better, but BS is just a disgrace.
It's a very sad time in Australian politics.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

But the numbers attempting it have significantly reduced, the navy and coast guard couldn't cope with the previous numbers.

The resources provided has increased significantly. There are now a lot more boats stopping the boats, which in turn, may have decreased the amount trying to get through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: