Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

School childrens strike supporting climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm
Post subject: School childrens strike supporting climate changeReply with quote

What a wonderful gesture for children to take to time and effort to support climate change: I'm sure you all agree this is a great gesture to counter a few powerful men on the fanatical right who make up climate denialism. Unfortunately those few have way too much power beyond their real numbers.

Well done school children. It's the time of year where exams are basically all over so good planning too.

The last paroxysms of the dinasaurs. I love the reaction of Sco Mo et al showing just how far removed they are from the population at large especially these young future voters.

Just like the the Victorian election it shows the right wing fanatics: The Mad Misogynist Monk, Craig Kelly and their lonely boys club are so out of touch with reality. Another aspect of this is that Climate change won't be a liberal v labour issue. It covers both parties; its just the fundamentalist nutters as noted above have more perceived power & influence to the detriment of their own so called Liberal party.

Perhaps we can have an AFL climate change round Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Guardian:

...If Scott Morrison wants children to stop acting like a parliament, then maybe the parliament should stop acting like children, Manjot Kaur, 17, from Ravenswood school said..."

"Freya, 13, and Bee, 14, from Sydney Girls high school, said they felt like their voices were being heard.

Because we dont have a vote in the elections, it sometimes feels like youre silent, Freya said.

Bee added: You can influence something. Now it actually feels like I am making a difference about something I believe in.

I think they are misjudging who we are, Freya said. They are underestimating us, You can look around and see how many people are here.

Elly, 14, was there with her sister Aidan, 10, and said they hadnt expected so many students to turn up.

I wasnt expecting this many, she said. I thought it would be small. Its so good. I didnt know many people coming from my school, but its so cool to have everyone else here.

Earlier in the week, hundreds of students from Canberra lined up outside Parliament House, waited on the lawns and met Greens, Labor and crossbench MPs.

The Canberra students voiced these concerns in a series of sit-down meetings with the federal Greens leader, Richard Di Natale, Labor MPs Ged Kearney and Julie Owens, Greens senator Jordon Steele-John and Centre Alliance MP Rebekha Sharkie
...."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/30/climate-change-strike-thousands-of-students-to-join-national-protest

Just on that last point, it would have been politcally smart to listen to the kids concerns. Again a major fail by the Libs Nats. Utterly stupid not to.

Instead they say things like joining dole queues etc, incredibly patronizing to teenagers. From a party political point of view keep listening to yourselves Liberal / National party, 2UE, 2GB, Sky News, 3AW, The Spectator. Keep it up.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Yep, great to see kids and teenagers getting politically engaged. One can accuse them of youthful naivety or whatever, but this is ultimately an issue that will affect them directly more so than most voting adults and elected MPs and one suspects that theyre better educated about the issues than a great many politicians.

The Libs just keep shooting themselves in the foot. That Canavan quote was beyond absurd. At this rate, he and many of his colleagues will be the ones on the dole queue soon.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Brainwashed kids bunking off. If Australia's emissions dropped to zero what would the effect be on global climate?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 pm

^ This student movement was not started in Oz and is not restricted to Oz.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:14 pm

When was this exactly?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 am

Its very important that we do absolutely nothing in Australia because we cannot solve the problem entirely on our own. In fact, lets just go the other way and show the planet whos boss.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:39 am

How wonderful. Mum not dropping them all off for one day will reduce carbon emissions by tonnes!

They also handing in their phones, iPads and other disposable electronic items?

Now THAT would be a pretty impressive effort! Skipping school is weak.
Per capita, Australia, New Zealand, and the nations of Oceania contribute the most to the world's e-waste, at 17.3 kilograms per inhabitant.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjO-cvolf3eAhUTdysKHcJ-DKUQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Ftechnology%2Farchive%2F2016%2F09%2Fthe-global-cost-of-electronic-waste%2F502019%2F&psig=AOvVaw1hw8zn2tLGGON9phpTz87O&ust=1543703502685173

Maybe they could launch their protest from Al Gores front garden?

In powering his home, Gore still greatly outpaces most Americans in energy consumption. The findings were shocking:

The past year, Gores home energy use averaged 19,241 kilowatt hours (kWh) every month, compared to the U.S. household average of 901 kWh per month.3,4
Gore guzzles more electricity in one year than the average American family uses in 21 years.
In September of 2016, Gores home consumed 30,993 kWh in just one month as much energy as a typical American family burns in 34 months.
During the last 12 months, Gore devoured 66,159 kWh of electricity just heating his pool. That is enough energy to power six average U.S. households for a year.
From August 2016 through July 2017, Gore spent almost $22,000 on electricity bills.6
Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to install 33 solar panels. Those solar panels produce an average of 1,092 kWh per month, only 5.7% of Gores typical monthly energy consumption.
No matter how the numbers are viewed, Al Gore uses vastly more electricity at his home than the average American a particularly inconvenient truth given his hypocritical calls for all Americans to reduce their home energy use.

https://nationalcenter.org/ncppr/2017/08/01/al-gores-inconvenient-reality-the-former-vice-presidents-home-energy-use-surges-up-to-34-times-the-national-average-despite-costly-green-renovations-by-drew-johnso/

Last edited by Skids on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:19 pm

^ What are you doing about climate change, Skids?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm

David wrote:
^ What are you doing about climate change, Skids?

Not a thing mate, the planet has been constantly changing it for 9 billion years, don't think I'll have much impact.

I look after the arteries of civilisation, that's my bit for the planet... you know; safe drinking water, sanitation, that sort of stuff.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Good Excuse for a Day Off
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Good Excuse for a Day Off

It is a very good reason for motivated students to take off. They are the ones who will have to clean the mess up. The good thing is this crosses party lines as there are a lot of libs who supported Turnbull (first incarnation). Most business want action on climate change, indeed most people do. Just a few dinasaurs dont support it. In the UK it us a given across the political spectrum (apart from a few nutjobs).

The price of coal is getting too expensive and energy alternatives are getting cheaper.

So yes, its great the school children are motivated abd moved enough to give a shit & do something. Well done them.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Look at these brave 4 year olds protesting about asylum seekers.
We should do what they say because 4 year olds are so wise and informed.
https://t.co/5BK02GMTFh
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:28 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:

Brainwashed by Teacher I guess or Teachers told them to do it Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:

True story: at my sons daycare (for 3 and 4 year olds) earlier this year, they were teaching them about Anzac Day and what it represented. This is from the daycare centres daily newsletter:

Quote:
We continued to read our book of the month, "ANZAC Violin" and we finished reading the whole book today. We have learnt that ANZAC stands for Australian New Zealand Army Corp. Our soldiers went to Gallipoli to fight for our country and help keep us all safe. We discussed how the soldiers might feel when away from their families, we said sad, lonely and scared. We decided to draw beautiful pictures for our soldiers, so they will feel happy. We used various colours to draw nice pictures for the soldiers, along with a happy message. Our messages included "thank-you, for serving our country", "we hope you feel happy" and "thank-you for looking after our country". This experience supports children's knowledge development about world events that are significant to Australia, therefore this invites exploring what we celebrate and commemorate as a country.

I look forward to the outraged op-ed pieces in the Herald Sun about toddlers being politically indoctrinated.

In all seriousness, Im not a fan of the stuff in the link above using little kids as political props has always seemed a bit distasteful and exploitative to me. And Im not terribly comfortable with what my son was exposed to above either, but it seems like pretty much no-one else blinks an eye at this kind of patriotic rah-rah respect-the-troops stuff (and quite how they expect 3 and 4 year olds to grasp much of anything about war is beyond me). Clearly, we have some interesting cultural double standards about what constitutes acceptable political indoctrination and what doesnt.

Anyway, thats all a world away from upper primary and high school aged kids who have learmed the facts about climate change (which are not in contention or even really political outside of the Liberal Party/2GB bubble), are intelligent enough to realise its a pressing problem and are aware that our government is doing nothing about it. If youre sneering about that, I dare say youre part of the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: