Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2019 Pre-season training reports and other observations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the club is erring on the side of caution with many players
Our history of repeat injuries or recovery time from injuries isn't great so this softly softly approach in January doesn't concern me at all
We had a long season last season and a lot players hadn't experienced a run that deep into September so giving them a lighter preseason and making sure there ready and fit for round 1 is the right approach
Many players are on modified programs which I am assuming is tailored to there GPS data and injury history
I would imagine that we would be making sure they are right for full training 2-4 weeks out depending on there age and injury history
Lets get out of Jan and Feb before we start worrying to much there will be plenty of time for that during the season I'm sure
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Touch wood, but we don't seem to have suffered any new serious injuries in the off-season......nor have we had any player phuck up with dog, frisbie or door handle scenarios!

So far so good. Cool
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

latest training video has Varcoe moving freely - boy it feels good to have him traveling well. He really makes our side better - Feels like its been a while since he was down, hope he can string a good season together
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 pm

JDG —Treloar-Elliott—Wells and Reid were mentioned full on training today

And Grundy on light duties (courtesy of Roughy standing on his toe)

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:00 am

Wednesday training video —-less than a minute (can’t we have a longer one)

Elliot and De Goey looked good as did Varcoe (some one mentioned him)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm

For those concerned about injuries, this might put some lead in your pencil or pep in your step.

Quote:
Collingwood’s shrinking injury list is set to provide Nathan Buckley with serious selection headaches this year as up to 15 senior Pies clamour for midfield minutes.

Pies onball star Adam Treloar is finally ready for match simulation games after a graduated pre-season coming off his twin hamstring issues last year.

He could soon be joined by Daniel Wells, who is making encouraging progress from last June’s season-ending lisfranc injury and clocking solid miles on the track.

The Pies are yet to chart a path back to senior football for Wells, in the last year of a lucrative contract, but Round 1 isn’t out of the question.

Collingwood boasts the No.1 ranked midfield in the competition, with Buckley’s main challenge is finding a way to squeeze the talent into Collingwood’s 22.

High-profile acquisition Dayne Beams has been managed through the summer given his age and experience, the 28-year-old conducting maintenance work on a tight back but otherwise in good shape.

Inside midfielder Brayden Sier proved a game-changer in Collingwood’s midfield after making his debut in Round 15 and will not be forced out any time soon.

Steele Sidebottom won the club’s Copeland Trophy from one wing and Tom Phillips finished fifth in the best-and-fairest on the other wing.

All of those midfield gains mean Buckley’s challenge is how to reward the summer toil of players like Josh Daicos, who came back from the off-season in excellent shape and has been excellent in match simulation.

It also allows him the luxury of keeping Jordan De Goey and Jaidyn Stephenson in the forward 50m despite both of them plying their trade as juniors in the midfield.

Players like Josh Thomas, Levi Greenwood and Travis Varcoe will have to continue their strong form to retain their positions.

The Pies midfield options include Beams, Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, de Goey, Varcoe, Thomas, Sier, Phillips, Chris Mayne, Greenwood, Daicos, Taylor Adams, Josh Thomas, Will Hoskin-Elliott and James Aish.

Sier played 89.5 per cent of his game time in the midfield last year, followed by Pendlebury (89 per cent), Phillips (87 per cent), Beams (86.8 per cent), Adams (79.9 per cent) and Treloar (76.2 per cent).

The Pies this year have six players who on average attended more than 50 per cent of centre bounces per game - Sier (88.4 per cent), Pendlebury (87.5 per cent), Beams (86.4 per cent), Adams (78.7 per cent), Treloar (58.4 per cent) and Sidebottom (58.4 per cent).

Treloar said this week he was finally escalating his training load after a quiet pre-Christmas period.

“This Friday will be solid and I will get some match simulation in and play some quarters and ultimately play AFLX and our scratch matches,’’ he said.

“I was pretty slow up until Christmas and then the plan was post Christmas break to really attack the second half of the pre-season and my main goal is to get through the match simulation and get as much run into my legs to prime myself for when the season starts.

“Monday and Friday match simulation I am well and truly in the thick of it and I love it.”

The Pies hope to have close to 40 fit players come Round 1, with Tim Broomhead (broken leg), Lynden Dunn (ACL), Matt Scharenberg (ACL) long-term injuries and Will Kelly rehabbing October ankle surgery.

Add to those midfield options Callum Brown and even Rupert Wills. If the injury gods decide to focus elsewhere we have some serious depth of talent to call on.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/nathan-buckley-faces-a-happy-headache-due-to-collingwoods-bulging-midfield-talent/news-story/9a6f216a07fc7c702be54af3307c7de4

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:48 am

stui magpie wrote:
For those concerned about injuries, this might put some lead in your pencil or pep in your step.

Quote:
Collingwood’s shrinking injury list is set to provide Nathan Buckley with serious selection headaches this year as up to 15 senior Pies clamour for midfield minutes.

Pies onball star Adam Treloar is finally ready for match simulation games after a graduated pre-season coming off his twin hamstring issues last year.

He could soon be joined by Daniel Wells, who is making encouraging progress from last June’s season-ending lisfranc injury and clocking solid miles on the track.

The Pies are yet to chart a path back to senior football for Wells, in the last year of a lucrative contract, but Round 1 isn’t out of the question.

Collingwood boasts the No.1 ranked midfield in the competition, with Buckley’s main challenge is finding a way to squeeze the talent into Collingwood’s 22.

High-profile acquisition Dayne Beams has been managed through the summer given his age and experience, the 28-year-old conducting maintenance work on a tight back but otherwise in good shape.

Inside midfielder Brayden Sier proved a game-changer in Collingwood’s midfield after making his debut in Round 15 and will not be forced out any time soon.

Steele Sidebottom won the club’s Copeland Trophy from one wing and Tom Phillips finished fifth in the best-and-fairest on the other wing.

All of those midfield gains mean Buckley’s challenge is how to reward the summer toil of players like Josh Daicos, who came back from the off-season in excellent shape and has been excellent in match simulation.

It also allows him the luxury of keeping Jordan De Goey and Jaidyn Stephenson in the forward 50m despite both of them plying their trade as juniors in the midfield.

Players like Josh Thomas, Levi Greenwood and Travis Varcoe will have to continue their strong form to retain their positions.

The Pies midfield options include Beams, Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, de Goey, Varcoe, Thomas, Sier, Phillips, Chris Mayne, Greenwood, Daicos, Taylor Adams, Josh Thomas, Will Hoskin-Elliott and James Aish.

Sier played 89.5 per cent of his game time in the midfield last year, followed by Pendlebury (89 per cent), Phillips (87 per cent), Beams (86.8 per cent), Adams (79.9 per cent) and Treloar (76.2 per cent).

The Pies this year have six players who on average attended more than 50 per cent of centre bounces per game - Sier (88.4 per cent), Pendlebury (87.5 per cent), Beams (86.4 per cent), Adams (78.7 per cent), Treloar (58.4 per cent) and Sidebottom (58.4 per cent).

Treloar said this week he was finally escalating his training load after a quiet pre-Christmas period.

“This Friday will be solid and I will get some match simulation in and play some quarters and ultimately play AFLX and our scratch matches,’’ he said.

“I was pretty slow up until Christmas and then the plan was post Christmas break to really attack the second half of the pre-season and my main goal is to get through the match simulation and get as much run into my legs to prime myself for when the season starts.

“Monday and Friday match simulation I am well and truly in the thick of it and I love it.”

The Pies hope to have close to 40 fit players come Round 1, with Tim Broomhead (broken leg), Lynden Dunn (ACL), Matt Scharenberg (ACL) long-term injuries and Will Kelly rehabbing October ankle surgery.

Add to those midfield options Callum Brown and even Rupert Wills. If the injury gods decide to focus elsewhere we have some serious depth of talent to call on.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/nathan-buckley-faces-a-happy-headache-due-to-collingwoods-bulging-midfield-talent/news-story/9a6f216a07fc7c702be54af3307c7de4

exciting reading! Big headaches coming up for the coaching staff, hope they all get a run during the year!Thanks stui
E 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:38 am

stui magpie wrote:

Quote:

I do not think that these two were unintentionally omitted. After discussing our midfield talent, i think it becomes pretty clear what Brown and Wills odds of playing AFL are this year. Coach and Glennis!

Its like doing a forward line report and omitting Crocker!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 am

stui magpie wrote:

Quote:

The article refers to Sidey on one wing and Phillips on the other last season, so we played with 3 wingman last year, as Mayne was always referred to as a wingman. That solves our "who will be in the midfield" questions. Any surplus can just play on the wings.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:46 pm

Training notes 1 Feb

Good conditions for training and for spectators, although the presence of wind made it tricker to get skills right.

I was a little late to arrive, so may have missed some things at the start. Apologies. Would welcome others thoughts.

Missing in Action on field but present on the sidelines running laps, doing agility work etc
De Goey & Goldsack - light running as individuals
Crisp, Kelly & Reid - laps with some intensity together
Wells & Broomy - bit of running
Scharenberg & Dunn - agility work with some ball handling. Knees held up well to constant change of direction.
Grundy, Howe (missing completely)

Feature - Full match simulation with AFL umpires in attendance
Blacks vs Whites

Blacks team rotating between
Def - Quaynor, Keane, Appleby, Madgen, Wellings, Tardrew
Mids - Steele, Roughead (ruck), Daicos, Sier, Tyler Brown
Fwds - Thomas, Mihocek, Varcoe, Cox, Stephenson, Crocker, Billy

Whites rotating between
Defs - Maynard, moore, Langdon, Mayne, Murphy, Levi, Aish
Mids - Cal Brown, Treloar, Beams, Pendles, Lynch (ruck), Flip, Ralph
Fwds - Tohill, Wills, Atu, Husthwaite, WHE, T Lockyer

Were playing about 20-25mins quarters. Umpired by AFL, but at times may have elected to rehearse a throw in rather than play on the full etc.

Observations/Highlights
White team well on top when Beams, Treloar and Pendles in the middle.
When Beams and Treloar rested later in proceedings, things evened right up. They were joined by Atu and Billy off the field for reduced time

Darcy and Maynard doing some kicking in. Madgen and even Tardrew for the Blacks.

Things got a bit willing between the Irish boys at one stage. Keane is a firey blood nut by nature and threw the first punch.
I thought it was all a bit unnecessary between team mates who won't be competing for a spot given they are at the other end of the ground. Tohill wasn't impressed (rightly so).

Forwards
Wills did some nice things. Took a couple of really good contested marks up forward and did some nice ground work up the other end but shanked his kicks each time.

Mihocek the most noticeable forward on the ground.

Mids
Phillips very busy (and along with Moore were) the best from the Whites across the combined time that I saw.
Josh Daicos was shaded by Phillips today on a wing I thought.

Treloar scored a nice stoppage goal from a handball from Beams - the prospects of that combination all season excites

Adams and Steele got more of the ball once Beams/Treloar rested up. Adams was a bit scrappy in his ball use.

Defenders
Moore - I think he'll finish Top 5 in the Copeland in 2019 if he stays on the park. Signs very promising about how his body is fairing too

Quaynor attacked the ball off the square at ball ins and made some nice spoils too. He remains neat by foot and finds a bit of the ball.
A real shot for early games I'd suggest.

Appleby was also industrious around the ground in defence, but I think was matched up on Wills when he took his contested marks.

Other drills

Some paired run throughs, with reward of a handball for the player who gets ahead

More match sim with reduced playing space (more like 40% of the field). Beams, Treloar, Billy, Atu didn't participate.

Aish got a bit of the ball in this and Murphy did some nice things by foot (raking pass over 50m to a leading forward) on a day when good skills generally weren't a recurrent feature. Levi also was involved in quite a bit of play off half back.

Cox spent some time in the ruck in this format. Spent a lot of time practicing his kicking after training with Tohill and subsequently by himself (with Brenton Sanderson).

FWIW from the VFL - I thought that Ralph and Husthwaite also did some nice things in this confined match sim.

On balance, a scrappy day for skills given the wind, but things are gradually heating up in terms of intensity and number of participants.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 am

A clip on FB showed some slick match sym between the Whites and Blacks groups yesterday
All appear to move OK

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:09 am

An even better video “Friday Fry up” on Collingwood website
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 am

^Friday Fry Up was last Friday (8 days ago) in the extreme heat
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:12 am

Sorry I didn’t know that.

Still good tho

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:30 am

Watching the Pies v Cats (women’s) it was difficult to get an idea of the new rules

Did anyone consider it was less congestion/more open forward play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18   

Jump to: