Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to target a free agent for 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Astbury is gettable and is underrated - premiership experience does count. He is best mates with some of the Collingwood players who go regularly to his property in the bush with him. He comes from a passionate Collingwood family. He is also open to a move. Might be easier to have him for three years while Kelly and co develop.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Shouldn't we rather target any resource we think we need and worry about whether they are a free agent afterwards?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Little Wonder wrote:
Astbury is gettable and is underrated - premiership experience does count. He is best mates with some of the Collingwood players who go regularly to his property in the bush with him. He comes from a passionate Collingwood family. He is also open to a move. Might be easier to have him for three years while Kelly and co develop.

Inside intel???

Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

A little
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I don't have an opinion on any of these players yet as I don't know what the 6/6/6 rule will mean for the direction the game is going to go in. I know for a fact that internally one club doesn't know either. I assume that every club holds the same view.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Little Wonder wrote:

Geez, this is interesting! I met David Astbury's father recently and although we talked a lot about football, I never thought to ask him whether his son would be interested in coming to the Pies!!! "Der" to me!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I don't have an opinion on any of these players yet as I don't know what the 6/6/6 rule will mean for the direction the game is going to go in. I know for a fact that internally one club doesn't know either. I assume that every club holds the same view.

Excellent point IMHO.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

You'd expect it puts a renewed onus on centre clearances. With no spare man down back it will be interesting to see whether clubs go man on man at each end during centre bounces or try a zone defence. You'd expect man on man which makes it more difficult for intercept defenders.

Teams with a good midfield and ruckman and marking targets up forward would be licking there lips, the number of goals from centre cleances should increase.

The other change with that is to the ruck rule where the ruckman can now grab the ball out of the ruck with less chance of being pinged if tackled.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

Little Wonder wrote:

This. Astbury and Grimes are vital cogs in the Richmond defence. They do all the hard work while Rance runs around mopping up intercept marks.

He'd be my No 1 target. Didn't realise he's tight with some of our players. I wondered how we might be able to access him given he'd be pretty happy at Richmond given their success and strong list.

With Dunn having little time left and Reid's body being very unreliable, a key position defender to join Moore, while we develop Kelly, is a priority.

Given we don't have a First Round draft pick in 2019 (Beams trade), we'd have to be seriously exploring free agency to top up our list.

Tomlinson would be my second choice given his versatility. Potential to throw him up forward once Kelly develops too.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 am

6/6/6 is only at centre bounces, so I am not sure it is a huge differential.

Astbury, as a close checking defender, is presumably quite valuable in this scenario though.

Grundy should be a beneficiary of the new ruck rule. Ned Guy also indicating to me that he felt 6/6/6 would be OK for us as we tended to set up that way anyway and don't tend to throw an extra man back to start at centre bounces.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Is the 666 rule from the book of revelations? 🤔
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Is the 666 rule from the book of revelations? 🤔

From the Iron Maiden album, number of the beast. Wink

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Josh Kelly would be the final nail in the giants coffin of list departure.
Class player and a work horse but I'm not sure why he isn't on the list.
I'm sure I'll know why soon enough.

Exactly; I'm sure he only signed a two year deal at the end of 2017 IIRC?

Either way, a trade would be tight, 2nd rounder might not have enough currency; hope we didn't over-bleed for Beams. Confused

Melbourne's recruiters should be drawn and quartered by their board for trading the pick that would have secured Kelly in his draft year, and handing it to GWS for Dom Tyson. #epicfail

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Nothing to see here, move along. (my post that is)
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 am

MOd's lets shut this down. pretty irrelevant since 2019 hasnt started. Another dumb thread. How many threads should one person be allowed to start? Madness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: