Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one case where tradition should win out, I think. The song is 116 years old, only a decade younger than the club itself. Generations have come and go singing along to these words. On what possible grounds would you change it?

K, even if one agrees with your hierarchy of club symbols – which seems reasonable enough, though arguable – there are several problems with your reasoning. One is that the jumper has changed, but not fundamentally, and even the most relatively egregious alterations of the late ‘90s and early 2000s (magpies in light bulbs and the like) are long gone (what might constitute a fundamental lyrical change is debatable, but I suspect dropping one of the eight lines would constitute that). The second, bigger problem is that nobody has provided a compelling reason for why the line should change. You don’t change a century-old symbol that means something to a lot of people for change’s sake, any more than you tear down a cherished heritage-listed building because you want something trendy in its place. Well you shouldn’t, at any rate.

I could be convinced if there were a significant number of people who were actually offended by the line, but of course there aren’t as the slavery/minstrelsy connection is obscure, is not a particularly vexed social issue in Australian culture and, at any rate, the reference is not even clearly negative. As for the boastfulness of the lyric, this is the nature of most club songs and if you get rid of it you start to undermine the point of this curious Australian tradition.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:28 am

stui magpie wrote:
The only reason to remove it is because "A cakewalk" is in context considered something easy and us winning premierships has not been easy for a very long time. But I don't buy that either. I'd rather our team be confident and sing that line with real belief

Stui, I very much respect and agree with your views in most matters Collingwood, but how can any of us sing that line with real belief when the facts are so obviously proving it wrong!!! I doubt the players would be singing it with true belief, because they are the ones who really know that winning the premiership is far from a cakewalk!!!

We could substitute a last line with something that was truly motivational and inspirational and gives the players the belief that they can attain the ultimate goal, without having to resort to reciting a misnomer and a blatant untruth.

I believe that the power of the brain is the last frontier to manage in modern football (apart from those rotten footy gods Smile) and all the scientific evidence points to believing in a goal that is realistic and attainable, not a fake, unsubstantiated show of false bravado, that keeps letting us down.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am

David wrote:
This is one case where tradition should win out, I think. The song is 116 years old, only a decade younger than the club itself. Generations have come and go singing along to these words. On what possible grounds would you change it?

Hmmm.. because it's not true and is irrelevant to modern day football??????
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 am

David, I've come to believe that this issue is really not about tradition at all, but I'll leave further discussion on that to a separate post.

In this post, let me put the slavery-race issue into local (i.e. Nick's) context. This topic arose in the "GF Curse" thread, so that in itself is a clear indicator of the primary motivation. It was only after more than two dozen posts on the sub-topic that a poster first raised the slavery-race connection. (I think almost none of those posters has yet visited this thread, perhaps because they are so upset not by "PC" but by "GF" that they are taking a break from anything football-related.)

On the other hand, now that I've seen that connection, I cannot really unsee it. There seems to be a pretty clear link to blackface. There are many people in our society who refuse even to make an attempt to understand why blackface is so extremely offensive to many. Basically they just don't want to know, an attitude I find much more damnable than initial innocent ignorance. On our question, I find it inconsistent to say the word is so distant, so foreign, etc. that this link cannot even be mentioned, but somehow at the same time not too distant, not too foreign, that we might actually want to change it to something, say, less foreign.

No doubt I could write pages on this topic. I'm not sure how useful that would be. It is, as I've tried to emphasize, not the main motivator here. I'll say one more thing for now, though. All this discussion reminded me of "Eeny, meeny, miny, mo". In my childhood, and apparently in the childhoods of both those much older and those much younger, the next line was "Catch a n****r by the toe". I'm pretty sure none of the children I knew were aware of what that word "n*****r" meant. The question shouldn't be "whether the children were racist", but whether it's appropriate in the 21st century to allow that to continue. Apparently, it has now (finally) undergone canonical revision to "tiger", which of course makes no sense at all, but at least is not blatantly racist. Let me end this post here. More on tradition next, perhaps.

Last edited by K on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 am; edited 3 times in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:04 am

I think some posters may have gone a step too far in thinking that one argument proposed for a change to the last line of the club song is because it's racist and therefore, smacks of of political correctness. K did not say that - just did the research and said it was "linked" to racism, which it was back then. K did not state that it is racist in today's world!! It was certainly linked to racism back then ... the cakewalk was performed by black people taking the pi&s out of white people in the 19th century. Good on them for doing that, but it was well over a hundred or more years ago !!

I feel you're all missing the point and that is the term is completely obsolete and irrelevant to 2019, as evidenced by the fact that it has its roots in the 1800's!!! Even more destructive than that and this is what really worries me, is that it's a complete untruth and totally wrong in today's competitive football arena. Anyone who struts around thinking the winning the premiership is easy is completely out of touch IMHO!!!

I shake my head at why would anyone be so against bringing our club into the 21st century and providing it with one extra competitive edge, but there you go... we all have different perspectives and that makes for an interesting discussion! Smile
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:36 am

David wrote:
As for the boastfulness of the lyric, this is the nature of most club songs and if you get rid of it you start to undermine the point of this curious Australian tradition.

David, I appreciate your angle here, but unrealistic, unfounded boasting is I believe (and hope) is no longer relevant to modern day football. Listen to all the players and coaches these days ... they don't say how easy it's going to be knock off the other team, that it will be a "cakewalk". They respectfully say that it will be a tough match and if their team performs to the best of their ability, they have a good chance of winning. They understand and appreciate how difficult it is to notch a win in any game, let alone a GF. and that;s the truth of the matter. Arrogant boasting is a thing of the past and it doesn't work anymore.

As for the songs of other clubs, none of them have the outrageous audacity to say that premierships are a 'cakewalk". Smile I can't help but question whether that is why we lose so many. Sad
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 am

^ Yep. In the "GF Curses" thread, PPie also mentioned that "Collingwood, Essendon, Gold Coast and Port are the only ones who mention flags or premierships in their club songs". (I cannot off the top of my head independently confirm this.)

I'm getting the impression that some people are just making things up on the fly. I mean, David, where is the evidence that "if you get rid of [boastfulness] you start to undermine the point"? Really? Are you sure that that's the one true point of club songs? (Oh, and I don't know where you got that "116 years" from. GOCF is younger than that; GDG is older than that.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:08 am

K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The use of the changes to the jumper is a red herring argument. Every club has changed their jumper over the years, the fundamental thing with ours that has never changed is the black and white vertical stripes.

a) This is simply untrue (unless we include changes like numbers on the back), and b) if it were true, so what? (It would not change the importance of the jumper to tradition.)

First a): I looked and, for starters, Essendon's home jumper has really not been changed at all (except for the width of the red sash). I have not checked all of the other clubs. One counterexample is enough for me.

No, it's not untrue, it's an irrefutable fact.

Essendon started with no sash, added it then widened it.

http://www.footyjumpers.com/essendonall.htm

Collingwood has always had black and white vertical stripes, but we changed the width and order a few times over the years without changing the fundamentals.
http://www.footyjumpers.com/collingwoodall.htm

every AFL club has changed their jumper in some way from their original, some clubs many times and variations over the years.

Why is this relevant? You raised the subject of changing jumpers to support your flimsy argument to change the song.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 am

stui magpie wrote:

every AFL club has changed their jumper in some way from their original, some clubs many times and variations over the years.

Why is this relevant? You raised the subject of changing jumpers to support your flimsy argument to change the song.

Look at Essendon's home VFL/AFL jumpers:

http://www.footyjumpers.com/essendonhome.htm

Their jumper is unchanged.

If you want to delve into pre-VFL days, then perhaps you think we should consider that the Collingwood Football Club came out of a football club with a totally different name. (What should we conclude from that?)

I already explained that even if it were true that every club changed jumpers it would not be relevant. My discussion of jumpers was not "to support" my "argument to change the song". I made that clear. (Even in the opening post that is very clear.)

The argument is not: "We changed our jumper. Therefore we should change a word in the song."

The argument is simply pointing out the weakness of an argument against change, namely, "tradition". It is not an argument for change, but a refutation of a flawed argument against change.

That in itself does not imply that there must be change. Invoking "tradition" as a reason for no change is a flawed argument, but that does not logically imply that there do not exist good arguments for no change. However, I have yet to see them. And it must be said that "no" voters are coming up with a barrage of false historical claims (going back to the "Curses" thread), including the origins of Goodbye Dolly Gray.

If, hypothetically, all clubs have significantly changed their jumpers, it does not mean that doing so still maintains tradition, unless you think that changing jumpers a lot is itself a tradition. Is that what you think? Do you think: "It is traditional to make changes to the jumper, so keeping the jumper the same is actually untraditional"?

Unless that's what you're arguing, your insistence that all clubs have changed their jumpers so much sounds more like a dismissal of tradition than a defence of it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:04 pm

K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The sash has been widened and straightened since adopted and, as it showed in my link, for their first 2 seasons they had no sash at all
Quote:

If you want to delve into pre-VFL days, then perhaps you think we should consider that the Collingwood Football Club came out of a football club with a totally different name. (What should we conclude from that?)

Collingwood did not "come out of" the Britannia football club per say. https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/timeline/ What we can conclude is that is an irrelevant statement.

Quote:

I already explained that even if it were true that every club changed jumpers it would not be relevant. My discussion of jumpers was not "to support" my "argument to change the song". I made that clear. (Even in the opening post that is very clear.)

The argument is not: "We changed our jumper. Therefore we should change a word in the song."

The argument is simply pointing out the weakness of an argument against change, namely, "tradition". It is not an argument for change, but a refutation of a flawed argument against change.

but your argument IS essentially that if we can change our jumper then why not the song?
Quote:

That in itself does not imply that there must be change. Invoking "tradition" as a reason for no change is a flawed argument, but that does not logically imply that there do not exist good arguments for no change. However, I have yet to see them. And it must be said that "no" voters are coming up with a barrage of false historical claims (going back to the "Curses" thread), including the origins of Goodbye Dolly Gray.

we shouldn't have to mount an argument for no change, you need to mount a convincing case FOR change, something you haven't done. You don't just change things on a whim or a flight of fancy, there should be a good valid reason for it. I haven't seen one yet.
Quote:

If, hypothetically, all clubs have significantly changed their jumpers, it does not mean that doing so still maintains tradition, unless you think that changing jumpers a lot is itself a tradition. Is that what you think? Do you think: "It is traditional to make changes to the jumper, so keeping the jumper the same is actually untraditional"?

Now you're just being a dickhead

Quote:

Unless that's what you're arguing, your insistence that all clubs have changed their jumpers so much sounds more like a dismissal of tradition than a defence of it.

Tradition of itself is never a good reason not to change if there is a compelling case FOR change, something that's yet to be presented. In the absence of a compelling case, tradition wins, the status quo remains.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:49 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The only reason to remove it is because "A cakewalk" is in context considered something easy and us winning premierships has not been easy for a very long time. But I don't buy that either. I'd rather our team be confident and sing that line with real belief

Stui, I very much respect and agree with your views in most matters Collingwood, but how can any of us sing that line with real belief when the facts are so obviously proving it wrong!!! I doubt the players would be singing it with true belief, because they are the ones who really know that winning the premiership is far from a cakewalk!!!

We could substitute a last line with something that was truly motivational and inspirational and gives the players the belief that they can attain the ultimate goal, without having to resort to reciting a misnomer and a blatant untruth.

I believe that the power of the brain is the last frontier to manage in modern football (apart from those rotten footy gods Smile) and all the scientific evidence points to believing in a goal that is realistic and attainable, not a fake, unsubstantiated show of false bravado, that keeps letting us down.

But doesn't changing it for that reason send the message that we don't think we can win?

For the record, of the other AFL teams songs,

Adelaide- 2nd verse contains the line "The flag will be our own"
Brisbane - doesn't mention premierships but has the line "Go Lions, Brisbane Lions,We'll kick the winning score"
Carlton - Again doesn't mention the flag but ironically has the line "We're the team that never lets you down"
Essendon - opening lines of the song "See the Bombers fly up, up! To win the premiership flag."
Freo - Ummmmmm. Shit song
Geelong - you want to see boastfulness? Opening lines of the song "We are geelong, the greatest team of all,"
Gold Coast - "We are the mighty Gold Coast Suns, We play to win the flag for you."
GWS - LOL. good song to do a cossak dance to, but contains the line that they are "greater than the rest"
Hawthorn - nothing really except "we play to win"
Melbourne - doesn't even have the club name in it.
North - not much.
Port - contains the line "We'll never give in Til the flag is ours for the taking"
Richmond - contains the lines "If we're behind then never mind We'll fight and fight and win"
St Kilda - LOL, just LOL
Swans - contains the lines "Whether the odds be great or small, Swans will go in and win overall While her loyal sons are marching Onwards to victory."
West Coast - song clearly written at the height of their drug dramas
Bulldogs - "You can't beat the boys of the bulldog breed"

So most of the songs contain some piece of boastfulness that can be turned against them when they lose. But you don't sing it when you lose, you sing it when you win.

Also, our song is the oldest and first club song, being penned in 1906, a full 6 years before the second oldest, Melbourne. I see no valid reason to change it.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:

So most of the songs contain some piece of boastfulness that can be turned against them when they lose. But you don't sing it when you lose, you sing it when you win.

Also, our song is the oldest and first club song, being penned in 1906, a full 6 years before the second oldest, Melbourne. I see no valid reason to change it.

Yes Stui ... agree. Most of the club songs contain some element of bravado, but none of them say winning the premiership is a piece of cake!! It's that erroneous premise that really irks me in today's football environment.

You mention that our club song was the first to be written in 1906. Okay... that was 113 years ago. You don't think that maybe, just maybe, things have changed a little since then and some aspects have become obsolete? For starters, there were just 8 teams in the competition then, not 18!!!

I've mentioned before that for the most part I am proud to sing the club song - it encapsulates the spirit of Collingwood to me, togetherness and support for the players, all except that last line, which is completely different in its message to the rest of the song.

You mention that it only gets sung when we win anyway, but that's actually not correct - the club song gets played in all sorts of different contexts, apart from directly after a win. It's part of the emotional and psychological fabric of the club and I firmly believe that the last line is destructive in its premise.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm

I have been an avid Collingwood supporter for fifty plus years. When I was young, back at the start of the 1970's, I sang the last line of the club song with great gusto and faith. With the brashness, inexperience and naivety of my years, I actually thought it was true! Smile Plus, back then it was the norm to be arrogant and there were fewer teams to beat, so the chances of that line actually being correct were greater. Smile

Now, many years and many tears later, I know it's not true - it's a complete falsehood that I've been brainwashed into chanting all that time! With the wisdom of hindsight, I have realized that such extreme false bravado is not only embarrassing, but it does a complete disservice to our great club and its current players.

We would all be far better served with a last line in the club song that conveys an attitude of support for our players who are busting their guts to win that elusive premiership. In case people haven't realized, it's damn hard to win nowadays with the AFL trying to equalize the competition and 18 teams in it!!! It's so very far from being a cakewalk.

This year, I'll finish singing the club song with the line of "Oh, the Magpie Army's marching for the good old Collingwood". I'll know in my heart that at least that's true - that we will always support our boys, come what may, as they strive so hard in their incredibly difficult quest for premiership glory.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:

The sash has been widened and straightened since adopted and, as it showed in my link, for their first 2 seasons they had no sash at all.

Your link with no sash is pre-VFL. If you want to discuss pre-VFL, fine, but don't ignore what I wrote.

As I said, though...

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:
If you want to delve into pre-VFL days, then perhaps you think we should consider that the Collingwood Football Club came out of a football club with a totally different name. (What should we conclude from that?)...

Collingwood did not "come out of" the Britannia football club per say. ... What we can conclude is that is an irrelevant statement.

Well, let's see. According to the club's website:

"Britannia is considered to be something of a precursor to the Collingwood Football Club..."

It looks like much politics ensued. In 1889,

"a decision was then made to form a joint application for a Collingwood-Britannia team to be admitted to the VFA."

(This was denied.)

"Two more years of discussions and stand offs ensued between parties from both sides. ...

A potential upgrade of Victoria Park became an important factor in the fate of the two sides. There was no objection from the VFA to a proposal that would have seen Britannia admitted as a Collingwood team if Victoria Park was upgraded."

And so on, with much complication, politics, etc. (I guess some things never change.)

Last edited by K on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm not ignoring it, just pointing out it's incorrect.

And I'm well aware of the link with Britannia, but the history of Collingwood is as per the link I posted, it was a new club formed in 1892.

Last edited by stui magpie on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25   

Jump to: