Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is cakewalk any more or less relevant than Freddie Mercury's football habits? I contend no.

maybe a poll is in order?

K, you are the master of stupid meaningless polls. Maybe you could take the lead here.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:27 am

E, as I'm sure you know, the Collingwood Football Club song is not only relevant to the Collingwood Football Club (obviously), but stirs up odd feelings in some or many Nicksters.

Since you've popped into this thread again, can you tell us whether you sing "we" as the fifth word of the song? (Other readers, please also tell us!) While you're at it, can you tell us whether you are a "see" man? (That, of course, is another of the five disputed words in the song -- something naysayers seem to ignore when they act like a single word is somehow sacred, or when they claim the words have been "unchanged", apart from the Club's 80s effort, for a century.)
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

K wrote:
E, as I'm sure you know, the Collingwood Football Club song is not only relevant to the Collingwood Football Club (obviously), but stirs up odd feelings in some or many Nicksters.

Since you've popped into this thread again, can you tell us whether you sing "we" as the fifth word of the song? (Other readers, please also tell us!) While you're at it, can you tell us whether you are a "see" man? (That, of course, is another of the five disputed words in the song -- something naysayers seem to ignore when they act like a single word is somehow sacred, or when they claim the words have been "unchanged", apart from the Club's 80s effort, for a century.)

So that i understand the question. have we just won a flag when i'm singing it and how drunk am i? Seriously, i think i prefer the thread about how much tax poor old parmigiano pays per year to this thread.....

K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 am

So do I understand your question, E? It is possible -- or even likely -- that you sing completely different words depending on the situation, is it? (Is your drunken creativity applied to the five disputed words or to the stable words?) Even less reason to treat them as sacred, if that's the case.

And I've already mentioned that no Pies supporter at the GF should really be capable of singing anything after the game, because all noise-making capacity should have been spent during the game. (Pies supporters should actually train their noise-making capacities during every game of the H&A season to maximize them when it really matters.)

* I'm too scared to ask who "poor old parmigiano" is.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:18 am

K wrote:
I've already mentioned that...

These words are superfluous as they could be prepended to most of your posts in this thread

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 am

Why, specificially?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:50 am

You (not you, Botty!) don't have to post at all, of course, but if you choose to post, why don't you try posting something constructive, instead of making cheap put-downs? For starters, can you say whether you sing "we" as the fifth word of the club song? What about "see"?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:41 pm

You don’t have to post at all either, yet you persist repeating the same points & questions ad naseum while thinking you can dictate how other people should respond

You’re like a flat-earther who challenges people to “prove me wrong”

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 pm

K wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Thanks for that **** Wink Smile ie for bumping it again.

I don't know what you're talking about, PPie. Someone previously declared he would not post again, and who are we to doubt what people say?
When a page has about 30 threads, no one would claim that being around 12-15 is "in danger of slipping off" the page, would he?

Yes I did say i wouldn't post here again. See my signature for the reason, but as any sensible person would agree, people have the right to change their minds. And, I'm no longer arguing the premise of the thread, that is long defeated, i'm just making the occasional observation.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
... thinking you can dictate how other people should respond

I don't think most people would interpret asking a couple of simple questions -- do you sing "we" as the fifth word of the club song?; what about "see"? -- as "dictating how other people should respond".

I was not even the first person here to ask that question, not that it matters who asked it first; I'm just interested in people's answers. I'm not forcing anyone to answer. Whether or not they answer, it may be detectable that I'd prefer people to be calm and civil, avoiding personal abuse. That isn't "dictating how other people should respond", either.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 am

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:
When a page has about 30 threads, no one would claim that being around 12-15 is "in danger of slipping off" the page, would he?

... i'm just making the occasional observation.

Your "observations" are often fact-free. When a thread is sitting right in the middle of the page, around 12th to 15th out of 30, it really isn't "in danger of slipping off" the page to anyone but you.

(But is there any chance that you have ever made an accurate observation of yourself and whether you sing "we" as the fifth word of the club song? What about "see"?)
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 pm

I do admit to being quite fascinated by the role of psychology in sporting success - be it on an individual or team level. I'd be so interested in an examination in how much the (outward) change of Buck's attitude - the beard, the hugging, the greater acceptance of mistakes (even from the cheer squad and the runner on GF day!) - contributed to our improved performance in 2018. However, that's an aside to this topic.....

I found this in a sports psychology article:

Quote:
The reality is that excessively high expectations rarely result in high-level performance. When expectations are high, so is the pressure to meet those expectations.

High expectations lead to increased pressure and others negative consequences for athletes and teams, such as:
Reduced confidence
Anxiety
Fear of failure
Overthinking
Inability to move past mistakes
Negative thinking
Under-performance

Surely there's a fair chance that the "premiership's a cakewalk" being the final stanza of the club song places unnecessary and excessively high expectations on our beloved team!!

https://www.peaksports.com/sports-psychology-blog/how-high-expectations-sabotage-athletes-mental-game/
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Pleeeeaaaaasssseeee!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Pleeeeaaaaasssseeee!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ahh, I assume you don't agree RudeBoy Laughing Laughing

How do you account for our below average GF performance record then? Any ideas?
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Cool we are the team that never lets you down Cool

this thread is really having a lend.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25   

Jump to: