Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

glasseyevfx wrote:
Cool we are the team that never lets you down Cool

I don't have any real objections to "never let you down". (Besides, those words are not our problem, any more than the owners' staggering 21st-century performance is.) It's vague enough that it could refer to any number of worthy things to aspire to, e.g. effort, dedication, discipline, etc. It's not claiming a specific outcome.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Pleeeeaaaaasssseeee!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ahh, I assume you don't agree RudeBoy Laughing Laughing
How do you account for our below average GF performance record then? Any ideas?

PPie, I hope Rudey won't mind me giving his answer for him. (Of course, he can update his answer now if he wants to.)
Previously,
RudeBoy wrote:
It is what it is. Move on.

I strongly disagree with what that implies. I think the GF Curse obviously has causes (probably more than one, because it's such a bad curse), and whatever they are, why should we assume there are no solutions? (Even the supernatural explanation, which some claimed must be the reason, is not necessarily an insoluble problem.)
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 pm

The poor nag's ghost has returned to beg for mercy...
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:49 pm

K wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:
Cool we are the team that never lets you down Cool

I don't have any real objections to "never let you down". It's vague enough that it could refer to any number of worthy things to aspire to, e.g. effort, dedication, discipline, etc. It's not claiming a specific outcome.

Precisely K. Therein lies the distinct difference. The rest of the song is basically about the way we feel about our team. The final line states the supposed specific fact that we win/will win premierships and do it easily. Not true and hasn't been since the 1950's, seventy years ago.

I don't know, but perhaps some supporters do feel that "we win/will win premierships and do it easily". If that's the case, I believe they are experiencing a strong case of denial Smile
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

A rather cryptic post WPW. Confused I can only guess at what it means, so perhaps you can clarify? Thanks.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm

naah its saying we will walk into the premiership with bravado and confidence - dance our way in. Doesn't actually claim to win it. Besides I don't see it a problem if it did. Its a traditional song created at a time when many other clubs used their song to make boastful claims. Not much different to chanting the collingwood name during the game - You do chant the collingwood name don't you?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 pm

K wrote:
I don't think most people would interpret asking a couple of simple questions... as "dictating how other people should respond"

Ahh, the classic K misdirection... asking questions would of course fall under "repeating the same points & questions ad nauseam", Hine's 'death speech' being another example

K wrote:
I'd prefer people to be calm and civil, avoiding personal abuse. That isn't "dictating how other people should respond"

No no of course not /rollseyes

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

A rather cryptic post WPW. Confused I can only guess at what it means, so perhaps you can clarify? Thanks.

You've never heard the expression 'flogging a dead horse'?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:44 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

nag=horse.

Are you familiar with the term "flogging a dead horse" ?

WPW's inference is clear. The horse is deceased but is still being flogged. While archaeologists cluster around the carcass with intent to determine at what stage in antiquity this particular horse died, it's ghost has come to the party, pleading for the flogging to stop.

Lets just let this thread go the way of the horse, without the flogging.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:55 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
... Its a traditional song created at a time* when many other clubs used their song to make boastful claims. ...

The claim that other clubs' songs were so boastful does not stand up to scrutiny. Only a small number mention premierships or flags. Peddlers of the "all club songs boast" claim started scraping the barrel, claiming for example that "Every heart beats true For the red and the blue" is incredibly boastful. (I think that's a good line. The word "every" in it is no more boastful or bad than the word "all" in ours.)

What should we conclude from other clubs' songs, anyway? It's not really clear, because we don't know just by looking at other clubs' songs what is good or bad about them. We do see this, though: they have had words that are disputed or have changed, just as we have. For example, in the Carlton song, there is controversy over the word "up". No kidding. "Up". Shocked I guess they'd say "up" is really not so different from one of our five disputed words, "we".

* Well, supposedly created before any other club created theirs.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 pm

^You quote glasseye saying "many" other club songs make "boastful" claims, then your reply is about "premierships or flags" and "all clubs" and you prepend 'incredibly' to boastful... then you wonder why nobody wants to continue to debate on your terms

Keep flogging

K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 am

You are clinging desperately to the word "all", just like you clung desperately to the word "every". (There is nothing wrong with "Every heart beats true...") Two posters here (not glasseyevfx) made lists of supposedly boastful song words, and they had lots of words like "mighty", which is not really boastful at all. (Just as well, since we use "mighty magpies" all the time.)

Not that we can draw strong conclusions from what other clubs do, anyway...

I have never "wondered why nobody wants to continue to debate on your terms". That's just something false you made up, just like lots of your statements. Whether anyone wants to "debate" is up to him or her. (Do you actually believe your posts are "debating"?) I don't have "terms", apart from the wish that people be polite and civil. The only thing I might have "wondered" is why some people get so angry over nothing.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
I don't know, but perhaps some supporters do feel that "we win/will win premierships and do it easily". If that's the case, I believe they are experiencing a strong case of denial Smile

PPie, I think more often the denial comes in different forms. For example, supporters will insist there is no GF Curse. GF losses are very painful, so we can understand the denial there, but their rationalization of our GF under-performance often means talking down our team. 'Our side wasn't really all that good,' they'll claim. 'We didn't beat any good sides during the season.' And so on. It's just less painful for them to believe that our team wasn't any good than to face up to a missed opportunity.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 pm

K wrote:
You are clinging desperately to the word "all”...

Dude... you are the one who substituted “all clubs” for glasseyes “many clubs”, surely a pedant like you can agree the terms are different, same as boastful vs. incredibly boastful or boastful vs. premierships and flags. You regularly change the terminology to support your own viewpoint then complain that people won’t debate calmly and logically

[quote=“K”]I have never "wondered why nobody wants to continue to debate on your terms".[/quote]

Maybe you should

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Are you familiar with the term "flogging a dead horse" ?

WPW's inference is clear. The horse is deceased but is still being flogged. While archaeologists cluster around the carcass with intent to determine at what stage in antiquity this particular horse died, it's ghost has come to the party, pleading for the flogging to stop.

Lets just let this thread go the way of the horse, without the flogging.

Aaah, thanks Stui. Yep, I know about flogging dead horses, just didn't get why ghosts were involved!! Laughing You explained it perfectly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25   

Jump to: