Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Introducing the Greatest midfield the AFL has ever seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy,

13th in Centre Clearences
1st in around the ground Clearences

Thats a bit of a discrepancy, thats why i think we should line up in the middle a bit differently. ( More ball winners, JDG, Adams, Beams, Sier etc )

The only way i can justify this particular statistic is that most of the season we had Pendlebury, Sidey and Adams in the centre square. Pendles and Sidey IMO are better used as outside players...

As Pies2016 pointed out, Centre Clearences will be more important than ever!

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
Woods,
Ruckman being allowed to take possession? Didnt hear about that one, but i would assume it favours Grundy.

The new rule (which is basically reverting to the way it used to be before someone got upset that rucks were taking it out of the air too often) means that rucks can take the ball cleanly and get tackled without having a free kick paid against them should they fail to get a kick or handball away. The umpires, at the instruction of the AFL, have been red-hot on penalising the big men for doing this exact thing in years prior, but with the change in rules, I fully expect to see the big men not only getting a heap of taps, but a heap of individual clearances as well.

Brodie Grundy sat right at 21st in the league for average clearances at 5.3 per game in 2018 – the highest placed non-midfielder. Stefan Martin wasn’t far behind, with 4.9 (33rd), and believe it or not, Tom Hickey was the third highest rated ruckman for average clearances per game, with 4.5 (equal 41st).

With the ability to take the ball cleanly out of the ruck, and without fear of being penalised, we could expect these men to add to their impressive clearance stats in 2019, to the point where we could start to see ruckmen sitting comfortably in the top ten for clearances for the year.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/01/07/ruckevolution
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm

^
Woods, Thanks

Just finished reading the article

Well worth the read, some interesting stats and facts

Ill cut and paste a paragraph below that i found extremly interesting from this article:

Only one player has ever had 20 clearances in a game, and it happened before they started penalising ruckmen for taking the ball cleanly from ruck contests. It happened in 1998 as the Hawks beat North Melbourne by two points. That man was Paul Salmon. You think his 22 clearances may have had an impact on the result?

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:01 pm

There are many People, struggling with the daily grind of life, providing even to put half decent clothes on their Children.

Then you have the AFL who are trying to encourage the players selected for the AFLX to express themselves with expensive fashion taste, and rock up to the game all Glitz and Glamour like Russel Westbrook and Lebron James.

Guess what AFL corporate's, most of your Players are just normal humble people like Us. Who already are setting a good example for the younger generation's. Why would you care what they roll up in, is it your own secret personal S#*&@L desire's?

Whatever the reason, I think its a joke that your requesting Player's to wear a House Loan on themselves when they arrive to an event that is suppose to be mainly for the Kid's!

This is Australia, Not America ( No Disrespect intended ) I'd hate to be the bag of fruit who had to ask me to Jazz up a bit on arrival lol.

Lets take a step back...

Last edited by TaylorMade on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm

^
You should be just as embarressed as the couple blokes in the media who got as 'excited' as 'Bruce Mac' when Fyfe arrived to the Tribunal attempting to make a fashion statement after head hunting Levi Greenwood.

If it was up to me I would have given Fyfe an extra 2 week suspension just for arriving like that. Call me old school, thats just my opinion.

Brownlow night is meant to be 1 night a year Nat...

Adz 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 pm

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwoods-midfield-wasnt-tough-enough-for-long-enough-in-last-years-grand-final-are-they-really-better-this-year/news-story/7bf2e7d7ed25d5e815cf78ea44970b84
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 pm

AFL is pretty unoriginal with it's Combine and Draft being held over 2 nights and now this direction on fashion. It's just lucky they have a great core product, because the people who run the business are pretty hopeless.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Interesting.

Quote:
Thirty-five days before Collingwood’s Round 1 game, its midfield is already being described as an all-conquering force.

The hype is entirely understandable when you bring a matchwinner like Dayne Beams into a side that came so close in one of footy’s great Grand Finals.

The rose-coloured glasses view is that Collingwood only lost that Grand Final because of Dom Sheed’s freakish goal that seemed as if it was kicked from the fifth row of the MCG seats.................................................

The reality is that Collingwood had held up the dam wall against insurmountable odds since the second minute of the final term and were lucky to still be in front.

Nathan Buckley will have spent the summer with a delicate balancing act — engendering confidence in his midfield while at the same time reinforcing that they are far from the finished product.

All of us in the media can drink the Kool-Aid but in truth Collingwood’s midfield was soundly beaten by West Coast when the whips were cracking.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwoods-midfield-wasnt-tough-enough-for-long-enough-in-last-years-grand-final-are-they-really-better-this-year/news-story/7bf2e7d7ed25d5e815cf78ea44970b84

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

^^^

Well that would suggest Richmond’s mid field must be one of the worst in the comp based on that summary.
You gotta love how the Pies can sell news papers on even the slowest of news days.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:36 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
13th in Centre Clearances
1st in around the ground Clearances
As Pies2016 pointed out, Centre Clearances will be more important than ever!

If it remains 13th, we could have a huge problem on our hands...
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Stui Magpie,

Lol, Jon Ralph is still butthurt after the Prelim...

Its only going to get worse for those pussy cats. Their flag chances are Endangered with the momentum this SteamTrain is building. A SteamTrain powered by many Nuclear Fission's.

Richmond:
1. Have not been tested yet by injury. First signs of it heading into Prelim they fell apart. ( Dusty , Astbury )
2. Valuable midfield depth gone. see no.3
2a. Valuable defensive depth gone. see no.3
3. Risky move to pay upwards of 1million to a player returning from ACL. Pressure on his head. Cloke mkII
4. Will Lynch affect Richmonds game style and balance for better or for worse? ( forward pressure ) It will def need to be tweeked and re-set.
5. Got smacked beyond mercy, by a Collingwood midfield running at 70%, imo. (eg.) No need for use of DeGoey threw middle, Treloar at 60%. Our midfield yet to find its perfect blend.
6. Regarding point 4. Beams fits straight into our existing game plan, thus upgrading something that is already running effeciently.
7. Richmond reliance on Stars, "dusted", "crotch", "let me check my hair", "figjam". And now "ClokemkII".
8. Players need to read instructions from their armbands. (E.g) Rioli and the word 'chase'.

Please, Jon Ralph did'nt we smack that cocky smirk off your face yet?

K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:44 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
3. Risky move to pay upwards of 1million to a player returning from ACL. Pressure on his head. Cloke mkII

Not an ACL. PCL, and much more minor, I think.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 pm

^^
Even so the price tag alone will present pressure, just like it did for Cloke who was earning 250k less.

Extra media attention compared to Gold Coast as well.

Playing infront of an extra 60,000 at home games will further pressuirize the already increased pressure.

1 Million? For a 1 dimensional player? I'd expect 4 goals a game from him, otherwise its not worth it. Its moves like this that can Break clubs apart. Mark My Words

Last edited by TaylorMade on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm

K wrote:
TaylorMade wrote:
13th in Centre Clearances
1st in around the ground Clearances
As Pies2016 pointed out, Centre Clearances will be more important than ever!

If it remains 13th, we could have a huge problem on our hands...

I Dont Think So...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 pm

It won't remain 13th. Grundy will dominate under the new rules - which is just as well, since someone has to fill the gap created by playing Beams in the so-called "Greatest Midfield the AFL has ever seen".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 12 of 33   

Jump to: