Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What is Collingwood's weakness?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our main weakness is that we have only one of Grundy. Two and we'd never be beaten.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:45 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Our main weakness is that we have only one of Grundy. Two and we'd never be beaten.

Nothing could be truer.
But then again, not many teams have two Brodie Grundies.
Qld Magpie has referred to the possible vulnerability we could have in defence if our defenders are caught out one on one with the new rule change. If the ball comes explosively fast out of the centre more frequently due to the rule change, and our defence consists of the makeshift lineup we had so often last year due to catastophic injuries, this could indeed be a weakness. Yet it is surely balanced out by the fact that we have now added Dayne Beams to our midfield potency. The rule change will also favour Brodie Grundy in the ruck contests, so the possible weaknesses in defence are compensated for by the extra midfield potency we can reasonably anticipate. Moreover, given the miraculous performance of our makeshift defence last year, we must not underestimate the ability of our team to co-ordinate with each other to create a very capable team defensive structure even in the absence of our best defenders.

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:48 pm

eureka wrote:
I’ll say the ability to out mark opponents in a pack like situations also one on one in defence

No.1 Weakness : Get out of Danger options

Should it be though ? If only West Coast could expose that.

About Defense, if we become the no.1 clearence team like im predicting then our defenders getting caught out One on One wont be much of a problem.

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 am

Giving up 4 n 5 goal leads ie Geloong , WC twice n Sydney last year , same in JLT cup against Freo
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Nothing could be truer.
Qld Magpie has referred to the possible vulnerability we could have in defence if our defenders are caught out one on one with the new rule change. If the ball comes explosively fast out of the centre more frequently due to the rule change, and our defence consists of the makeshift lineup we had so often last year due to catastophic injuries, this could indeed be a weakness. Yet it is surely balanced out by the fact that we have now added Dayne Beams to our midfield potency. The rule change will also favour Brodie Grundy in the ruck contests, so the possible weaknesses in defence are compensated for by the extra midfield potency we can reasonably anticipate. Moreover, given the miraculous performance of our makeshift defence last year, we must not underestimate the ability of our team to co-ordinate with each other to create a very capable team defensive structure even in the absence of our best defenders.

All good points mate but it all starts in the centre
Last season we played very well as a team defence and that started in the middle not giving up quick entries into our forward line but we were also allowed to play a man behind the ball in defence that doesn't happen now
When injuries hit our defence what we had left did extremely well to handle being under sized against most opposition no one could question that
But our clearance numbers often reflected the match situation
When our midfield dominated and Grundy was running riot we looked solid down back
When Grundy struggled and we didn't win the centre our defence was vulnerable
Look no further than the GF when they went to work on Grundy Pendles Sidey and no our dominance slowed from late in the first term
The longer the match went the more our under sized defence struggled
That's not a reflection on there efforts it's just to highlight how important the centre clearance will become IMO
Adams Seir Beams will need to be strong every week with the assistance of Pendles and whoever else we use in the middle
Getting Moore back helps our defence massively also add Dunn and Scharenberg into the mix when fit and Roughhead and Quaynor and we probably have a far better unit to select from
If we don't control the centre then we have to select our best 1 on 1 defenders
On a side note I noticed Buckley already had a plan in place for if we went dominating
He deployed checkers on a wing but started him at the defensive corner of the square ready to run back into the defensive area depending on how the ball came out
If we won it he pushed forward and wide if we lost it he went back into the hole between CHF & FB
Interesting to see how it all plays out as the season progresses
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Nothing could be truer.

All good points mate but it all starts in the centre
Last season we played very well as a team defence and that started in the middle not giving up quick entries into our forward line but we were also allowed to play a man behind the ball in defence that doesn't happen now
When injuries hit our defence what we had left did extremely well to handle being under sized against most opposition no one could question that
But our clearance numbers often reflected the match situation
When our midfield dominated and Grundy was running riot we looked solid down back
When Grundy struggled and we didn't win the centre our defence was vulnerable
Look no further than the GF when they went to work on Grundy Pendles Sidey and no our dominance slowed from late in the first term
The longer the match went the more our under sized defence struggled
That's not a reflection on there efforts it's just to highlight how important the centre clearance will become IMO
Adams Seir Beams will need to be strong every week with the assistance of Pendles and whoever else we use in the middle
Getting Moore back helps our defence massively also add Dunn and Scharenberg into the mix when fit and Roughhead and Quaynor and we probably have a far better unit to select from
If we don't control the centre then we have to select our best 1 on 1 defenders
On a side note I noticed Buckley already had a plan in place for if we went dominating
He deployed checkers on a wing but started him at the defensive corner of the square ready to run back into the defensive area depending on how the ball came out
If we won it he pushed forward and wide if we lost it he went back into the hole between CHF & FB

Jordan DeGoey greatly helps us in this area.
Some good points in this post.

Until i see the numbers of clearences improve ( which they should ) I think Centre-Clearences should be our No.1 weakness going by last year.

Get out of danger options - Cox and Grundy work against Most if not every team besides West Coast, who are the strongest marking team in the comp. But because we were ranked 13th last year for CC, I think it should again become our number 1 concern

No.1 Weakness - Centre Clearences

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm

We are discussing fragility in our back line with the assessment of better centre clearance a solution

Quaynor was also in the above discussion—way I see it is that young man to not be a weak link (given he plays week on week) must learn on the job and as quik as possible

It’s not unachievable as Jayden Stephenson was only a few weeks into a season where he played all games that he started to impact positively

We will see if any hype on Isaac returns a simalar positive result

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Oh and on that we obviously all want improvement not a slide or a same as

Improvement from mids (by getting first used and pronto) will give the old warrior and young ones in defence the best chance)

Beams ,Adams (on return) JDG and Sier have to be the muscle with the Pendles/ Sidey and Aish all good ball users to create

My thoughts

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm

I watched with interest the Melb pracky and was underwhelmed with the two big bodied utility/mid pair Sier and Wills but as they were not only below game ready players I cut slack

Against Freo only one (Wills ) played and I thought some of his work very good (nice weighted kick to Billy for mark/goal) several other pieces of his play were good

But he went down during passage of play a few times and geez instead of spring up and butter up he tended to linger longer on bent knees

This undid his good work. Coaches talk to him

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Now, ain't that the truth!! Laughing

Quote:
On a side note I noticed Buckley already had a plan in place for if we went dominating. He deployed checkers on a wing but started him at the defensive corner of the square ready to run back into the defensive area depending on how the ball came out

That was really interesting wasn't it QldPie. It was only in place for ten minutes or so, but looked to be effective. I wonder how many other coaches will use that? They'd need to have a solid, fit and versatile player ( a swingman) like Mihocek to be able to pull it off though.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Is Collingwoods biggest weakness, Mids being exposed on turnovers?

Slower mids like Pendles, Steele and Phillips, questioned by experts previous seasons for their two-way ability? I think so..

Collingwoods No.1 Weakness : Midfield Speed/Two-Way ability

Previous main weakness :

-Centre clearences
-Get out of danger options ( marking in pack )
-Defense

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
Is Collingwoods biggest weakness, Mids being exposed on turnovers?

Slower mids like Pendles, Steele and Phillips, questioned by experts previous seasons for their two-way ability? I think so..

This I think used to be a genuine problem in seasons' past, but improved hugely last year. Maybe because we were short-staffed in the backline, the mid-fielders were forced to run both ways and I reckon they rose to the challenge admirably.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Kicking In.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Kicking In.

It was evident in Mondays JLT and when you think about the final 10 mins of the last quarter, not being able to get it out.

We need to fix this.

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Kicking In.

It was evident in Mondays JLT and when you think about the final 10 mins of the last quarter, not being able to get it out.

We need to fix this.

Agree, Howe is very suspect at kicking in/kicking in general and has been the last couple seasons.

Id like to throw Howe into the forward line for this reason alone. He could kick 30-40 and not cost us goals in the meantime.

Especially when Scharenberg returns who is a great kick, like Dunn. Question is does Dunn, Shaz, Moore and Langdon all fit into the backline??

A bigger concern for mine was seeing Grundy Pendles Steele Brown get smashed in the last couple centre clearences. Buckley is going to have to stop diluting our midfield.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: