Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David, if you **** up at work do you get to go on a holiday and everything’s cherry ripe when you get back? I’m not asking for him to be whipped, but helping around the club isn’t too much to ask is it?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 am

Sometimes a break is the best course of action. Performative penance might work for some people but good organisations probably recognise that it's bullshit.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 am

In the club we trust, I guess.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Club damage control. Taylor says Stephenson is copping “grim” training regime during his suspension. Stephenson than posts photos of his Cairns holiday. Now Buckley is saying it’s club sanctioned. Yep, damage control, we have problems.

What crap. So you are saying Stepho just decided to take a holiday without telling the club???? If Buckley says Stepho is training extra hard and deserves a break, I believe him. There is no spin here. When he gets back from hols. he will be hard into the training again I am sure.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Buckley said as much on the podcast, FYI: just had 4 weeks of intense training, having a few days' break with the family before another intense 4 weeks.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Good. How hard was that to clear up? It only took the media jumping on Stephenson’s photos and raising eyebrows for the club and Buckley to say something. I’m still not 100% convinced, but if you want to believe all is good at Pie land then good on you.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:05 pm

I never said it was. Doesn't mean that there's anything suss about Stevo's holiday or that it needed to be turned into a media beat-up. Should the club tell us what he had for breakfast this morning too?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

As Whispy Watto said on Talking football, recent losses shall test Bux's so-called empathy skills. Based on the last 4-6 weeks, he is failing in this area. The Grundy comments after the Bulldog's game didn't go down well with the players.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Hey David, if you **** up at work do you get to go on a holiday and everything’s cherry ripe when you get back? I’m not asking for him to be whipped, but helping around the club isn’t too much to ask is it?

David never f's up at work. Ever.

Razz Razz Cool

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Just quietly, I probably shouldn't be posting on here during work hours... Wink
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Woods wrote:

Stephenson posting pics on social media, “How dare he be human”. Buckley reveals that Stephenson is on club sanctioned holidays and then berates those who criticised Stephenson for posting pics
(How about letting the footy world know Stevo is on hols after previously announcing he is training hard. Does Buckley think supporters, journos etc. are clairvoyant? When circumstances change, tell us).

Why does the club have to notify if someone is going on holidays?
It is no ones business.

And honestly do you think it would make any difference? Someone in the media would still make a mountain out of a molehill, its their job to manufacture faux outrage to sell papers and get click bait.

People have stated that Jaidyn should be helping around the club.
Do they know that he hasn't? Maybe he needs to be under constant 24/7 surveillance to prove that he is meeting the requirements of supporters.

I have been to the VFL and have seen him there, not in civvies like other players but CFC gear assisting the VFL.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:50 pm

FFS, some people need to get a friggin life.

The kid has been working his absolute butt off at training and the club reckons he could do with a few days r & r to freshen up, before embarking on another block of fierce and intense training before the finals.

Those obsessed/offended/annoyed by him posting some holiday snaps need some serious counseling imo. At the very least, turn off your computer/iphone, get up off your couch, open your front door and go for a walk. There's a real world out there! Smell the roses. Rolling Eyes
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:53 pm

^ Couldn't have put it better myself, RudeBoy.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:09 pm

^^ spot on and nuf said I think
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Woods wrote:

Stephenson posting pics on social media, “How dare he be human”. Buckley reveals that Stephenson is on club sanctioned holidays and then berates those who criticised Stephenson for posting pics
(How about letting the footy world know Stevo is on hols after previously announcing he is training hard. Does Buckley think supporters, journos etc. are clairvoyant? When circumstances change, tell us).

Why does the club have to notify if someone is going on holidays?
It is no ones business...

Because the club made a point of telling the footy public through the media that Stevo was staying at the club on a training program while serving his suspension. If that circumstance changes then the club is obliged to advise the footy public of that change. Only common courtesy. Of course, Stevo and the club can say, or not say, whatever they like. But there are predictable consequences for breaking faith with the footy public and the media. That's the way the world is. You can argue about right or wrong till the cows come home. But this is all about perceptions, not realities. Stevo popping up on social media poolside is really bad 'optics' (as the PR bods say). It looks selfish, arrogant etc. even if its not. And considering the footy industry's efforts to look after players' mental health its only going to bring further pressure on Stevo that he need not have to endure.

I suspect that this holiday with his family was planned long ago for when he was scheduled to have a week free from playing prior to finals. But someone needed to tell Stevo to keep a low profile, keep off social media, and to make the next time he comes to public attention when he kicks a bag in a final.

Its going to be interesting to see how the media react to his apparent hubris. Remember, Stevo got away with not having to face media grilling when he got busted for betting. He read a statement (prepared by the club) at the press conference and soon after left the room, leaving Walsh and the Pies' CEO to take the heated media questioning. I think most people thought this was fair because Stevo was quite young. Contrast this easy treatment with that dealt out to more mature footy figures, like Hird etc, who have media staking out their homes when they get embroiled in controversy. Has Stephenson now made himself such a target? I'll bet there are a dozen journos right now trying to identify where Stevo and family are staying in Cairns from the pic of the poolside he posted on Instagram.

Last edited by Woods on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: