Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies trounce Tigers. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:

The possession / chip around / switch play style of footy isn’t for every team but if you have decent list in the first place, then it’s a good start.

Agree! It's absolutely critical that the players have the necessary foot skills and
the speed to get into clear space. Although I think we've really improved in both facets, I'm a little worried that this game style plan will not work against all sides eg Eagles. You'd imagine/hope that the coaches realize this though. Very Happy
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:04 pm

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:
... It also helped that Martin's been in decline since his career best season in 2017 so the biggest midfield threat was nullified. ...

That's a strong claim. I'm not sure we can conclude that.

I tend to agree with Jezza and so do a number of their supporters.
By example, as a starting midfielder, he is yet to lay ONE SINGLE tackle after two rounds of footy.
He’s either unfit or uninterested right now. You don’t lose your ability overnight but you can lose your desire to do the hard work ( particularly after a flag )

Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, he's just not defence-minded. I can't remember the details, but last year the Talking Footy guys were going on about his heat map or something, which showed 0 -- absolute zero -- in defensive 50. I think it was for the whole year up to that point, not just one game.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:31 am

we did really well, fantastic effort, we have nearly hit peak form, outside of a couple of lapses, I don't see how we could have performed much better than that, against a quality side, we were outstanding. Now to go on with it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:50 am

^ One way we could have performed much better is converting on-field control to the scoreboard. It really should have been a much bigger win. I guess a lot of the blame was the lapse where three quick goals were coughed up before half-time.

As for a "quality side", we'll see... More injuries and the Tiggers might miss the eight.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 am
Post subject: StevoReply with quote

Two goals and a very good link to others👍

Didn’t play the deep forward whole game thru and I guess with Elliot added to last years forwards

What did Nicksters see of his game and what position would he have played

Any ideas

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 am

Pre-game,
K wrote:
Keep an eye on the Pies' kick to handball ratio...

Post-game,
Jezza wrote:
The stats speak for themselves, but that was a very dominant performance. ...

Collingwood Kick:Handball

Rd. 2, 2019 291:176 (1.65)
PF, 2018 235:174 (1.35)
Rd. 19, 2018 199:200 (0.995)
Rd. 6, 2018 209:223 (0.937)
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Seriously, we have a lot of very good footballers in this squad.
Richmond have a lot of players that try their best.

Now we all know that 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'. However, when talent does work hard,...… LOOK OUT!!!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Hard work is our agenda ,our ethic ,our path to a flag
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm

The only worry from the game was that despite being so dominant in all the major stats, we were only 2 goals up at 3/4 time. They should have been dead and buried by half time. We have to learn not to allow cheap goals, particularly near the end of quarters.

Overall however, it was a very assured and dominant display, but one which should have delivered us a 10-12 goal victory.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 pm

We dominated one of league,s better sides

And we have a habit of making hard work of putting away a Carlton and other
down ladder sides

That piss,s me off

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:05 am

^^Don't care how hard the work is, if we repeat our 8-0 record against teams outside the 8 from last year I'll be happy.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Don't care how hard the work is, if we repeat our 8-0 record against teams outside the 8 from last year I'll be happy.

but we have already lost to Geelong.....

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am

Eade:

"Clubs change game styles from one year to the next – some during a season. Tactically, coaches will analyse the opposition's weaknesses and strengths.

They will employ different structures, different stoppage methods, and even different ball movement patterns to gain an advantage. A great example of this was Collingwood’s ''kick and catch'' method on Thursday night.

In 2018, they moved the ball at speed through playing on, quick hands and strong running. By using kicking as their main mode of forward movement (and using width as well), the Magpies did not allow Richmond to settle into their high-pressure game, which usually cracks their opponents wide open."

"Richmond changed with great success in 2017 and 2018 – but the Pies have worked them out. They will need to reinvent themselves, and not only because of injuries."

Last edited by K on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am

Tackling Dusty: Have opponents discovered how to subdue Martin?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tackling-dusty-have-opponents-discovered-how-to-subdue-martin-20190404-p51awb.html

'... Nine's Footy Classified pondered whether opposition clubs had figured out how to stop Martin's trademark fend-off, showing footage of Fisher employing a pre-emptive slap to Martin, which host Craig Hutchinson suggested had been pioneered by West Coast's Elliot Yeo in a game last year.

Then in the second-round loss to Collingwood, Martin was restricted to 18 disposals by Magpies stopper Levi Greenwood, who had also helped curtail Martin in last year's preliminary final.

But Martin's offensive struggles were arguably less of a talking point than the fact he was offering very little defensively, having not laid a tackle in the first two rounds of 2019.

Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch laughed during the week when asked if he was surprised that Martin hadn't applied a tackle this season, suggesting it had come as no great shock.

Asked to assess Martin's start to the season, an assistant coach from a rival club commented: "Dusty is an interesting one. His role has changed slightly. He isn't a true midfielder, he is a forward who goes to stoppages.

"If you watch his work in general play, he [heads] forward of the ball. His work defensively is non-existent. I think he had five disposals inside defensive 50 last year! He hasn't had a possession in D50 this year."

An opposition perception about Martin's lack of tackling was intriguing.

"Zero tackles so far this year ... for someone who spends a lot of time at stoppage is baffling. To me it shows either [his] changed role and his coaches don't expect that of him or [that] he's weighting his game on the offensive things too much. I would be surprised if it's [the former]," the coach said.

"He's getting less of the ball because of his role change but I still think he tries to do too much with every possession instead of doing the basics."'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: