Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A forward pocket disaster.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm
Post subject: A forward pocket disaster.Reply with quote

I have been a Collingwood supporter since 1953 and I go to watch COLLINGWOOD each week when games are in Melbourne or interstate via TV .

I am sure i have seen over 1000 games .

I am sure there are plenty on this site who view matches like I do .

So could someone please explain why the ball coming forward in many cases is passed into the forward pocket line on an impossible angel and for a hero to mark it and the vast majority of kicks the hero takes miss .

So one in 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 is a goal so lets all celebrate for a goal kicked on a tight angle .

So whats wrong with a pass to a player in a better position and so easier angel so a 1in 2 chance of a goal ?

Why not have multi options in the forward line with space being made available learnt through training drills to get a better angle to kick for goal .

A 10 year old can take a mark on his own deep in the forward line where no one should go .

Great goal kickers never went to that part of the ground since they started playing at 5 years old till they retired .

If players are static in the forward line then no pass options are available so those players may as well not be on the ground so the hero has no choice but to kick the impossible goal which as i have said is impossible

Passes in the forward lines make goals easier to get SO players Must move .

CFC players are static so the hero takes a shot from an impossible angel and misses .

Do me a favour count how many times this happens in a game and if you really want to see why we lost last week and many many times before check out how many hopeless angel kicks for goal CFC players do and added to that the players sleeping in the forward line almost as if they to not want to accept a pass and have a shot for goal .

At nearly 72 i have had many near misses in heart attacks when i see a footy kicked by a CFC player enter the " no go zone " of the " bad angle forward pocket " .

Please stop doing it just for the sake of my health

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defences do try to force attacks wide, though.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm

It wouldn't have mattered, we missed 'em from right in front too.Sad
Absolutely shattered, should have beaten those wankers EASILY.
I KNOW this side can kick 20 goals, we aint gonna win many with 9.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 pm

It’s to keep the ball locked inside the F50 and reset for a stoppage goal. Malthouse invented it. For some reason we still do it.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:41 pm

Unless the ball gets down there quickly, a player will lead to the pocket, because there will be too many possibilities for the re-bound, if it's kicked to the tall forward, on a better angle.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm

you give backlines little credit. A good backline will force the opposition to kick wide as they will not allow any space anywhere else inside 50.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Don't worry about creating options when we have the ball in the pocket, our forwards are static even when we have the ball 70m out.
Watching from the stands, you expect zig-zag leads, opening up of space etc, but all you see is statues, and the inevitable high ball on the forwards' heads.
There's a lot to improve on here.

My other pet hate is when we have the ball on the wing, in static-play situation. The opposition defence floats across down the line, expecting the ball to go there, and out-numbering us by 2 or more. That means there are free Pies players somewhere else ...most likely in the middle of the ground. And yet he kicker still goes down the line and doesn't pull the trigger through the middle.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Yup. We kick to one on ones or even one on twos without considering no help at the drop of the ball. I wrote it in this board’s “weaknesses” topic. We never have players hit a contest forward if centre front and centre. How the coaching staff can’t see this beggars belief.
eureka 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep front of square is best we kick on too tighter angle for my liking
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am

I agree with Sem.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 am

It’s basic law of physics. The mids and forwards create space in the forward 50 and the defenders close down the space, so that the only space to lead is the pocket on an acute angle. Easiest way to kick a goal is by outnumbering the opponent at the ball in your forward 50 by moving the ball quickly in the transition. These days maybe a third of goals are kicked that way.

Seb has a good point though. If your forwards are static how are you going to kick the goal? What happens when you don’t have the numbers at the ball in the entry to the forward 50 is the mid will hold onto the ball, especially if he has the mark. He’ll wait for the forwards to lead. If the defenders have blocked off all the space he’ll either go to a pocket where there’s always space, or he’ll bomb it long to the goal square. The danger in bombing it long is that the ball comes back the other way if the defenders get to it. If the ball goes to a pocket we may not score a goal from it, but at least the defenders find it more difficult to get the ball out of the pocket. It’s the rebound that kills you. Coaches have very strict rules about when to centre the ball.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
It’s basic law of physics. The mids and forwards create space in the forward 50 and the defenders close down the space, so that the only space to lead is the pocket on an acute angle. Easiest way to kick a goal is by outnumbering the opponent at the ball in your forward 50 by moving the ball quickly in the transition. These days maybe a third of goals are kicked that way.

Seb has a good point though. If your forwards are static how are you going to kick the goal? What happens when you don’t have the numbers at the ball in the entry to the forward 50 is the mid will hold onto the ball, especially if he has the mark. He’ll wait for the forwards to lead. If the defenders have blocked off all the space he’ll either go to a pocket where there’s always space, or he’ll bomb it long to the goal square. The danger in bombing it long is that the ball comes back the other way if the defenders get to it. If the ball goes to a pocket we may not score a goal from it, but at least the defenders find it more difficult to get the ball out of the pocket. It’s the rebound that kills you. Coaches have very strict rules about when to centre the ball.

Which basic law of physics?

Are you referring to Newton's first law?
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 am

This is why jamie elliott will burn out early if you we don't work it out soon. He's the only one to go for a long lead time and again to create space behind him, that was WHE's job last season. Forwards and especially mids need to work there butts off this round to set the season straight.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
It’s basic law of physics. ...

The one where the ball falls from Mason's hands on to Jamie's head.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:29 pm

K wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
It’s basic law of physics. ...

The one where the ball falls from Mason's hands on to Jamie's head.

You could be on something.

Rather, you could be onto something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: