Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zoos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When was your last Zoo visit?
1 - 6 months ago.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
The last 2 years.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
3-5 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
6-10 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
What gets me is, I started this thread as a simple poll and reflection on how zoos have moved forward in... what I consider, a positive light.

I see them; saving endangered species, working with other conservation groups, educating people and trying to do the right thing.

The way I've been attacked by the extremists, you'd think I was a serial killer boasting about his first kill since being released.

Oh for crying out loud. Let me spell it out for you.

I commented on your post about how much zoos make in a week from human interaction activities. YOU posted their financial report which showed in black and white how little they actually spend on conservation. Then you went on the attack because I read the report that YOU posted and told me to read!?

So because you're getting flustered & picking and choosing what parts of posts you ficus on, you resort to insults.

I was pretty much agreeing with you on page 2, but now I'm an extremist Rolling Eyes
There's something not right somewhere. Unless you're going to behave rationally I'm out.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 pm

@Morrigu, I actually read all of that. Confused Shocked

End result as it seems to me is getting them to paint produces no tangible benefit or detriment.

I did hear alarm bells at one part that referred to a "highly structured" environment where those who weren't painting at that time were made to rest in specific ways. In my humble opinion, any benefit obtained by the distraction of painting would be undermined by the controls enforced during the periods they aren't painting and a preferable method would be to make it more natural. If they're in the painting shed for 30 minutes, spend 10 minutes painting in multiple short shifts and the rest of the time being told how to stand, not conducive to a good experience which undermines the validity of the research.

Ie, there's multiple other factors at play here so you can't pinpoint whether the painting has a positive impact. The only thing it appears to show is that it has no tangible negative impact.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Skids wrote:
Watch the video in the link I added Stui.

I had a look at it. Couple of things stood out.

The genuineness of the handler, she really comes across as caring for them
The lack of "force" involved with the paintbrush. Just hold it out and the Elephant takes it and hits the canvas with it, minimal prompting.

I wasn't overly impressed with the handler holding the trunk to direct the spraypaint, that seemed a bit contrived.

Overall, I think you could be comfortable in saying they have good intentions.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:20 am

Yeah look luvdids, extremist was obviously the wrong choice of word, I apologize.

The financials of the Zoo, as highlighted by Stui, are actually kept in the black by taxpayer funds. The costs to maintain the place are huge. Employees and food for all the animals would be mind boggling (no, I haven't looked)

I just found it a bit strange you failed to acknowledge their breeding programmes and animals they've saved in that report, and focused on the money.

I highlight the last financial year again.

Released the 200th Numbat (Endangered) into the wild.

Treated 241 injured/sick Black Cockatoos. These are the white tailed variety, endemic to SW WA, and on the endangered species list. The population of these has declined 50% in the last few decades, beautiful birds.

Bred - 53 Dibblers (endangered), 55 Western Swamp Tortoise (Critically Endangered) and 23 Numbats (Endangered) for the Zoo’s breed-for-release program for threatened native species.

Released 94 critically endangered White-bellied Frogs and 108 vulnerable Orange-bellied Frogs into the wild near Margaret River, in conjunction with Parks and Wildlife. All of the frogs were reared from wild collected eggs to maximise survival rate.

I think their work is to be commended.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 am

The tone of VPT threads:

The justice system: civilised
Australian politics: Forceful but polite
Anything to do with animals:

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:59 am

There’s apparently a new plan for large predatory cats in zoos to go vegan.

It seems a young, fit lion can derive all the protein it needs from a well-balanced diet of 5 or 6 kale-fed vegans a day.

Look, I’d post the meme, if I could - but I can’t make it load onto Nick’s.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:05 pm

David wrote:
The tone of VPT threads:

The justice system: civilised
Australian politics: Forceful but polite
Anything to do with animals:

Laughing

My final word on Perth Zoo.

They recently released the 4000th animal to the wild from breeding, plus over 1000 endangered frogs to the Margaret River region.
In the last 5 years they've bred native endangered species;
Numbats - 80
Dibblers - 229
Western Swamp Tortise - 142

And saved over 1000 Black Cockatoos (white tail).

They also have successful breeding programs for;

Asian Small claw otters (vulnerable)
Cotton top tamarins (critically endangered)
Black & White ruffled lemurs (critically endangered)
Ghost Bats (vulnerable)
Javan gibbon (endangered)
Ring tail lemur (endangered)
Southern cassowaries (endangered)

along with other threatened exotic species.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
There’s apparently a new plan for large predatory cats in zoos to go vegan.

It seems a young, fit lion can derive all the protein it needs from a well-balanced diet of 5 or 6 kale-fed vegans a day.

Look, I’d post the meme, if I could - but I can’t make it load onto Nick’s.

Can't see a problem with that, the Lions aren't eating animals, they're on a vegan diet. Along with my plan to get the Chinese to emasculate Hipsters to save the Rhino's, we're doing some good work here.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 pm

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1094568-phuket-zoo-baby-elephant-benched-from-tourist-shows-over-health-issues/?utm_source=newsletter-20190411-1305&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Tell me this is ethical. So that bogans can take selfies.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 pm

ronrat wrote:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1094568-phuket-zoo-baby-elephant-benched-from-tourist-shows-over-health-issues/?utm_source=newsletter-20190411-1305&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Tell me this is ethical. So that bogans can take selfies.

So sad so very sad Crying or Very sad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:12 pm

These shows disgust me, lets hope the online campaign works and he is moved to a sanctuary permanently. So $£$%^%%$ cruel the way they treat animals,what will it take? $£$%^%%$ human greed
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 pm

^ yes one can only hope Crying or Very sad But there is no point and it's frankly the height of hypocrisy for us to point the finger at other countries and cry abuse when in our own country people attend zoos that encourage and allow " animal encounters or experiences" that include feeding and interaction for photo opportunities for financial reasons. It needs to change!!

But will it ..... ever ...... when the almighty dollar rules? Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 pm

I am trying to find the details so we can join in. There are plenty of sanctuarys Ping Pong can go to in Thailand. The fine is a joke. 40000 baht is about 2 grand. They have banned the little fellas being paraded around the bars where idiot tourists pay for bananas to feed them. But in some cases these hideous shows are on land owned by the monks who are almost above the law.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 pm

ronrat wrote:
I am trying to find the details so we can join in. There are plenty of sanctuarys Ping Pong can go to in Thailand. The fine is a joke. 40000 baht is about 2 grand. They have banned the little fellas being paraded around the bars where idiot tourists pay for bananas to feed them. But in some cases these hideous shows are on land owned by the monks who are almost above the law.

Me too RR - Phuket elephant sanctuary, Boon Lotts or Elephant valley are first choices! Don't get me started on the fckn monks Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

There's a new ZOO... well, not really, it's a pet shop!

Daughter Sharnee has the 2 bubs Aria (2) & Hayes (1). Her partner is an apprentice baker (nearly finished) and on a pretty low income. They get by paying off their biggish Mortgage and budgeting well.

I was over there yesterday and we were talking about 'free' activities to do with kids. I cracked up when she told me she quite often takes them to the Pet shop in Midland. They love all the birds, puppies, kittens etc and especially the massive fish tanks they have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: