Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy's ruck dominance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm
Post subject: Grundy's ruck dominanceReply with quote

a area of concern this year is our ruckwork. Last week Grundy and Cox had 60 hit-outs to 6. That might look like total domination but when you match it up with our clearances 33 to 26 you see a very different picture. All year we have struggled to score from the center and boundary throw-ins because our mids are only getting it 1.5 times more per quarter than our opponents. Last week it took a DeGoey (our most damaging forward) move into the center to consistently get the ball and deliver it forward. I'm not saying it's Grundy's fault the players aren't taking advantage of his tap work but I'm starting to wonder when the mid-field penny will drop.
Oh well, I saw an article during the week with Beams saying he hasn't yet got the chemistry right with Grundy but at least one of our mid-fielders is going out there with a clue! https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6060278/magpie-beams-loving-lions-afl-success/
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Against Sydney, the Bulldogs lost the hitouts 49 to 20 but won the clearances 41 to 32.

Against Hawthorn, the Bulldogs lost the hitouts 46 to 17 but won the clearances 37 to 25.

Against Gold Coast, the Bulldogs lost the hitouts 71 to 16 but won the clearances 44 to 30.

Against Collingwood, the Bulldogs lost the hitouts 60 to 6 and lost the clearances 26 to 33.

Notably, Grundy had 91% of the hitouts (in the other games, the figures were 71%, 73% and 82%) and Collingwood won the clearances by 7 (previous opponents had lost clearances by 9, 12 and 14). So, Collingwood is the only team to win the stoppages against the Bulldogs and turned around that aspect of the game by 21 clearances - from -14 to +7 - compared to Gold Coast's effort the previous week.

Whatever Grundy did with his other 40 hitouts - and whatever the perception may be on Nick's - the Bulldogs did not clear the ball away from contests at anything like the rate they did against other teams in their three previous games this season and - whilst I agree English is hopeless and it's only been a matter of degree each week - scarcely touched the ball in the ruck contest.

And

Pies4shaw wrote:
I can't, yet, find any compilation of stats for "hitouts to advantage" over time that lets me see the stat historically across many seasons for lots of great ruckmen but Triple M has compiled a bunch of stats from the 2018 season, here: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/all-the-records-from-2018-107088

Those are just for the home and away season, by the looks of things, but they suggest that "hitouts to advantage" for the two best ruckmen of 2018 were about one-third of their hitouts. On that basis, Grundy probably had, say, somewhere between 0.5 and 2 less effective hitouts than we might have anticipated in such a dominant display of rucking against Footscray. That's hardly the reason for our clearance difficulties.

The AFL site has the following list from 2017. It records the most hitouts to advantage in a season, then, as 316 (Gawn in 2016) and says the stat has been kept since 1999. I guess that means Gawn's 348 last year was probably the home and away record.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/alltime-season-stats-recordholders

There's a link in that article to the 2017 stats leaders. It shows Jacobs as leading hitouts and effective hitouts in 2017 (when Adealide, of course, made the Grand Final). He had 254 hitouts to advantage from 882 hitouts won, which had him going at a bit under 29%, I think.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I think there's a similar problem with Gawn & Melbourne.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 pm

There have 15 ruck contests between Brodie Grundy and Stefan Martin, with Grundy leading 10-1 in hitouts and 4-0 in hitouts to advantage in these contests. However, Brisbane lead the clearances 7-6 at these stoppages.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Yes, because they have a number of exceptional clearance players and we only have Pendlebury.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Grundy is murdering them in the third quarter. The difference is that our mids are feeding off it more.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Personally killed the game off with a ridiculously good third quarter. Again.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 pm

Second half hitouts to advantage went off the charts.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 pm

afl.com.au late in Q4: "Brodie Grundy has won a total of 30 clearances so far this season, which is ranked No.1 at the club. Tonight the Magpie ruck has not won a clearance, but Collingwood leads the clearances 34-28."
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 pm

I’ve never seen our ruck to rover connection so good. The centre square was amazing, especially the second half. Beams, JDG and Adams make a huge difference. Commentators tried to downplay Brodie’s dominance, jackass pieces of biased sh!t.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 pm

They just showed highlights of his rucking. It was wonderful watching it in the game but just beyond awesome to see it all laid out neatly as a package. Best Collingwood ruckman ever. It’s not just what he gets (brilliant and all as that is), it’s how he stops the opposition ruck getting their hands on the ball and dominates them physically.
DT 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Great coaching to put JDG in the middle at the start of the third quarter
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:30 am

^ JDG is an x-factor in the middle. A very handy option that few clubs have.

Can't take him for granted.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 am

Looks like Heeney (in that pic).
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
wonderful watching it in the game but just beyond awesome to see it all laid out neatly as a package. Best Collingwood ruckman ever. It’s not just what he gets (brilliant and all as that is), it’s how he stops the opposition ruck getting their hands on the ball and dominates them physically.

i think you are not giving recognition to Coventry, Thompson and Moore. 6 flags, Captain of the greatest team in history and I think later president. Skipper of 4 in a row. I like Grundy but bloody hell he has a long way to go to match the 3 I mentioned.f he surpasses them well I will be happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: