Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy's ruck dominance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see Coventry play but I saw the whole of Thompson's and Moore's careers. They were amongst my all-time favourite players. I do not think either of them ever had the impact on a game in the ruck that Grundy does. They were both better to watch than Brodie but that was, in large part, because the game was much more exciting and there was more opportunity for players to display their skills in those days.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 am

I know it's a lot to ask, because he's already a champion and we are very lucky indeed to have him, but, I'd really like to see him work on his contested marking up forward (when opportunity presents) - if he could do that - he'd be the complete package.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 am

Brisbane Lions hitouts rounds 1 to 5:

36, 38, 39, 43 and 18.

And clearances:

44, 38, 43, 35 and 30.
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm

ronrat wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
wonderful watching it in the game but just beyond awesome to see it all laid out neatly as a package. Best Collingwood ruckman ever. It’s not just what he gets (brilliant and all as that is), it’s how he stops the opposition ruck getting their hands on the ball and dominates them physically.

i think you are not giving recognition to Coventry, Thompson and Moore. 6 flags, Captain of the greatest team in history and I think later president. Skipper of 4 in a row. I like Grundy but bloody hell he has a long way to go to match the 3 I mentioned.f he surpasses them well I will be happy.

This is why the word ‘perspective’ was made ⬆️

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 pm

In another complete surprise, Collingwood won the Anzac Day hitouts 44 to an Essendon season-low. Essendon’s season hitouts read 41, 51, 34, 25, 29 and - wait for it - 19.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Which is great, but we make trying to clear the ball from the centre bounce look like giving birth...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:07 pm

That’s, as I keep saying, because our mids, Pendlebury aside, are grossly overrated as clearance players. Imagine how things would look if Brodie wasn’t dominating the ruck and following up with 24 disposals and 16 contested possessions?

The whole, I’m afraid is less than the sum of the parts. I just hope he isn’t thinking about tapping it out to Sloane and the Crouch brothers. He’d make a team with a proper clearance midfield a 5-goal better team - and losing him would take us from contenders to being a bottom 6 team.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:45 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
In another complete surprise, Collingwood won the Anzac Day hitouts 44 to an Essendon season-low. ...

Which is great, but we make trying to clear the ball from the centre bounce look like giving birth...

Really, Dyso?! Is there a species where half of the births involve the baby going back up the other way?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Well we better install some " No U-turn " signs in the vicinity then? Wink
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Okay, as long as our mids don't get those "Do not resuscitate" tattoos.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:39 pm

I'd dearly like to know what the internal plan is should we see The General out for more than a week.
I can't imagine Cox roaming the ground for a full game.
Roughead has been added as a back-up but the back 6 are really starting to gel with him at FB. I don't think it's any coincidence his games experience has been invaluable to how they're performing in the absence of Dunn.
I guess enter Ben Reid a former AA CHB at FB, Roughead into the Ruck in order to leave Cox at FF,mthereby offering the least disruption.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:39 am

48 hitouts, 25 disposals, 2 goals (1 from a fantastic contested mark at CHF) on Saturday.

So, unless something goes seriously wrong in round 9 - like, eg, the earth opening and swallowing him up, Brodie Grundy will get enough hitouts to go - yet again - into our top 20 total-season hitouts. He's on 312 behind Fraser, who got to 341 (from just another 15 games) in 2006. That will be the fifth time Brodie has gone into our top 20 season hitouts. Only Len Thompson did it more (7 times in total) but Big Len's best season tally was 533 fewer than Brodie's best so far.

I am very concerned that, when I look at AFL Tables, he hasn't been given any Brownlow votes, yet. Down season?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Anytime the OP wants to come in to fix up that pejorative thread title, that would be just fine. How embarrassment!!!

Meanwhile, Brodie has just knocked Josh Fraser out of the top 20 Collingwood season hitout tallies with his first 9 games of 2019.

This is a rare career we are witnessing. He now holds 9 of the top 10, 12 of the 13 best and 16 of the best 20 hitout tallies for Collingwood in a game, after today's 49. He has the first 4 clear to himself then he is equal fifth three times on 49 with Darren Jolly's lone effort.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Every game I says this Grundy can’t play better,n last week

Wrong as today he played best ruckman game I’ve ever seen

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:41 pm

I think he was about 20% better last week - some weeks our mids take better advantage of his work than others and this was one of those weeks. Cripps is better than any 3 St Kilda mids on the field today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: