Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ah yes, the inherent hypocrisy of the left...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If women wish to pursue a long-term career then they're welcome to do so, but I don't think it should be stigmatised if they don't want to pursue that path.

1st wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a woman's primary role.
2nd wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a choice.
3rd wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a betrayal of the sisterhood.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Sorry, wrong thread. I googled comedy festival then stumbled on this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
If women wish to pursue a long-term career then they're welcome to do so, but I don't think it should be stigmatised if they don't want to pursue that path.

1st wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a woman's primary role.
2nd wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a choice.
3rd wave feminism : staying at home to raise kids is a betrayal of the sisterhood.

This is such a massive strawman (or woman) that I don't even know where to start. Hardly any contemporary feminist (many of whom would probably be more accurately described as fourth-wave) actually believes this. I also suspect you don't know much about first-wave feminism if that's your summation of what their views were.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm

You obviously don't know your feminism then David.

Simone de Beauvoir: “No woman should be authorized to stay home to raise her children. Women should not have that choice, because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one.”
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Yeah, and she was a second-wave feminist!!! Indeed, pretty much the founder of that movement. If anything, my impression is that feminism has become a lot less prescriptive and fundamentalist about such questions in the past thirty years, and if anything is a lot more supportive of stay-at-home mothers now than it used to be. That's one reason why thesoretoothsayer's post is so ridiculous.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:24 pm

With a 2 parent family, the parent with the highest earning capacity should work and the other should be the primary carer.

The primary carer should do the majority of the housework. It's not actually that hard.

Where both parents work full time, the workload should be more equal but divided on skills. There should also be some discussion abut what work needs to be done

Dishes need to be done, clothes need to be washed, food needs to be provided.

On the other hand, beds don't need to be made, clothes don't need to be folded or ironed.

Easiest way to reduce the housework load is to reduce the work to what's necessary. An untidy house isn't the same as a dirty one.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 pm

That reminds me of some awkward conversations I’ve had myself of late, Stui. Embarassed It’s a tricky one, isn’t it? Often the male and female members of a couple will have different views on how much housework is actually required. I guess the best answer, as is so often the case, lies somewhere in-between: it is easy for the person who’s not home as much to not care about neglecting looking after a place that they don’t have to spend all that much time in.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 pm

You went where I wasn't going with the male/female divide on housework.

I think it comes down to their mother. Woman who's mother maintained a display house can feel guilted to do stuff that most blokes don't see the need in. My daughter is a slob, my son's ex was a pig.

My mum makes her bed every morning, I leave the doona laying where it was when I get out of bed. She'll do the dishes like 4 times a day, after every time anything gets eaten, and complain that her hands are messed up from washing dishes all the time. My suggestion to either leave the fkn things on the sink and do the dishes once a day or use the dishwasher, is apparently the wrong response. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: