Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Tom Langdon Effect

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was already shitty but both were in a direct line to the 50m penalty and both had their backs to it oblivious, surely one of them has to turn around and man the mark, philips should have given up the chase when he fell behind.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
First Carlton goal - Greenwood runs past the ball, Langdon cleans up for him and handballs to him over the top, in the clear. Unfortunately, Howe thinks it might be funny to intercept the handball and knock it down Curnow and then fall over in the goal square. Some might put that goal down to Greenwood's poor ball-skills or Howe's appalling lack of awareness. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Second Carlton goal - Long kick down the middle to Curnow. Howe misses the punch. WHE would have had it at the fall of the ball. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Third Carlton goal - Moore gets beaten by McGovern. Howe falls over to create a two on one, allowing his man, Silvagni, to run clear and take the handball and put a dinky pass to Gibbons, who marks unopposed between Greenwood and WHE. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Fourth Carlton goal - Greenwood gets outmarked by Dow (!!!) who runs clear and kicks long to McGovern. Langdon spoils him. The ball comes to ground, where Cripps is running unopposed, thirty metres from goal (thanks Reidy for trying to chase him - God knows where his man was). There is a chain of quick possessions by Carlton - for unfathomable reasons, Langdon keeps chasing, all the way to the goal square, where the ball finally comes to Silvagni at the end of a 5 on 1. Our midfield was apparently working to rule. Moore and Pendlebury also make a bee-line for the goal square, where they don't tackle anyone, either. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Fifth Carlton goal - Roughead and Howe get beaten by McGovern in the air in a two on two. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Second half:

Sixth Carlton goal - Howe lets Silvagni break his tackle. The ball goes to McGovern. Roughhead impersonates a witch's hat in the goal square. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Seventh Carlton goal - Setterfield gets the ball and kicks it to Curnow, who pushes Moore in the middle of the back with both hands to take the mark unopposed. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Eighth Carlton goal - Crisp, running clear at half back, makes a mistake, grubbing a kick to a Carlton player, with Collingwood streaming forward.
Silvagni runs away from Greenwood and gives it to Cunningham, who is still free from Crisp after the turnover. Sidebottom stands the mark and can be clearly seen gesticulating at Crisp and saying "WTF was that?" Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Ninth Carlton goal - Ed (!!!) Curnow outmarks Phillips on the Members' wing.
The ball is kicked down to a contest and Roughead is outmarked by MacKay. Moore decides that standing the mark is an unnecessary waste of a good footballer and lets him run through and kick the goal from 50, when he should have been kicking from 55 or 60 (and not on the run). Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Wait for it - with over half the third quarter already gone, Langdon is outmarked one on one by McGovern. He is 60 metres from goal. Langdon stands the mark precisely (as to which, compare Carlton's ninth goal). Nothing comes of it because the chain ends with an intercept mark. Langdon was, of course, too slow to run back from the mark to take the intercept. He left his cape at home in the dryer.

Tenth Carlton goal - Mayne decides it would be really sensible to handball straight towards Carlton's goal from CHB. He neatly picks out Cunningham who handballs out to Murphy. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Eleventh Carlton goal - This is the one that you all noticed. Greenwood has followed his man to our half-forward line. Why is anybody's guess because he can't catch him, even down there, in a pack. Grundy is tackled. Dow is somehow ten yards clear of Treloar, who still has chase-a-phobia, and runs away with the spillage. He kicks long, Langdon tries to take a chest mark (which he shouldn't have done) but Silvagni spoils. He beats Silvagni pointless on the ground and knocks the ball forward. Crisp misses the tackle on Cunningham. The ball comes out to Cripps who - as part of our affirmative action plan - is again running unmarked at goal. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Twelfth Carlton goal - Phillips gives away 47 50-metre penalties in a row.
Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Last Carlton goal - Carlton gets a centre clearance and goes straight down the middle. The ball falls to Gibbons, who goals. Langdon is resting on the bench. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

OK, folks. There you have it, goal by goal (and those of you who also have Kayo can go through and check my analysis).

I'm calling it. There's an anti-Future-Captain vendetta.

I assume the defence rests Mrs Langdon?

Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 pm

Well done ✅
Unarguable.
A "stick it up em" moment.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Looked like he was back on his pre game bong hit ritual.

His lack of urgency and endeavour cost us the first goal in the 2018 GF, and his half-arsed arms stretched out to take that mark inside D50 today that easily got spoiled and ended in a Cripps goal after we’d dominated Carlton for 99% of the last quarter is what keeps me up at night wondering how on earth we’re gonna win a GF with this guy and players of his ilk.

I’ll admit, he’s had a solid year, and nowadays is barely noticed for his usual sleepwalking brain farts cos he’s been solid, but if this junk creeps back into his game then God help us all. Compare his game today to that of Geelong’s defence. It can’t be tolerated.

It's really bizarre. All players make mistakes, however when Tom does, they invariably result in goals. Yes, he is a defender however the general "vagueness and oomphless" efforts like today make me concerned. Not room for him and Scharenberg (if and when he returns)

He's consistently one of our best players and you embarrass yourself a little writing such rubbish. I thought Howe and Greenwood were execrable today - but I didn't feel the need to start threads about them.

Did I start this thread? Did I poo poo his season?

I credited him for being solid this year. I actually undersold him. He’s been very good.

I simply bemoaned his game today and don’t want to see this junk creep back into his game. In previous years it has been a constant of his game. Not so this season, bar today. The thing is, it’s all above the shoulders. It takes no skill or talent to switch on and play with aggression and urgency at all times. I hope today was a 2019 anomaly because it directly costs goals at that end of the ground.

The very point I was trying to make. A singularly dire performance amidst some steady ones.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
First Carlton goal - Greenwood runs past the ball, Langdon cleans up for him and handballs to him over the top, in the clear. Unfortunately, Howe thinks it might be funny to intercept the handball and knock it down Curnow and then fall over in the goal square. Some might put that goal down to Greenwood's poor ball-skills or Howe's appalling lack of awareness. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Second Carlton goal - Long kick down the middle to Curnow. Howe misses the punch. WHE would have had it at the fall of the ball. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Third Carlton goal - Moore gets beaten by McGovern. Howe falls over to create a two on one, allowing his man, Silvagni, to run clear and take the handball and put a dinky pass to Gibbons, who marks unopposed between Greenwood and WHE. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Fourth Carlton goal - Greenwood gets outmarked by Dow (!!!) who runs clear and kicks long to McGovern. Langdon spoils him. The ball comes to ground, where Cripps is running unopposed, thirty metres from goal (thanks Reidy for trying to chase him - God knows where his man was). There is a chain of quick possessions by Carlton - for unfathomable reasons, Langdon keeps chasing, all the way to the goal square, where the ball finally comes to Silvagni at the end of a 5 on 1. Our midfield was apparently working to rule. Moore and Pendlebury also make a bee-line for the goal square, where they don't tackle anyone, either. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Fifth Carlton goal - Roughead and Howe get beaten by McGovern in the air in a two on two. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Second half:

Sixth Carlton goal - Howe lets Silvagni break his tackle. The ball goes to McGovern. Roughhead impersonates a witch's hat in the goal square. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Seventh Carlton goal - Setterfield gets the ball and kicks it to Curnow, who pushes Moore in the middle of the back with both hands to take the mark unopposed. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Eighth Carlton goal - Crisp, running clear at half back, makes a mistake, grubbing a kick to a Carlton player, with Collingwood streaming forward.
Silvagni runs away from Greenwood and gives it to Cunningham, who is still free from Crisp after the turnover. Sidebottom stands the mark and can be clearly seen gesticulating at Crisp and saying "WTF was that?" Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

The ball is kicked down to a contest and Roughead is outmarked by MacKay. Moore decides that standing the mark is an unnecessary waste of a good footballer and lets him run through and kick the goal from 50, when he should have been kicking from 55 or 60 (and not on the run). Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Wait for it - with over half the third quarter already gone, Langdon is outmarked one on one by McGovern. He is 60 metres from goal. Langdon stands the mark precisely (as to which, compare Carlton's ninth goal). Nothing comes of it because the chain ends with an intercept mark. Langdon was, of course, too slow to run back from the mark to take the intercept. He left his cape at home in the dryer.

Tenth Carlton goal - Mayne decides it would be really sensible to handball straight towards Carlton's goal from CHB. He neatly picks out Cunningham who handballs out to Murphy. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Eleventh Carlton goal - This is the one that you all noticed. Greenwood has followed his man to our half-forward line. Why is anybody's guess because he can't catch him, even down there, in a pack. Grundy is tackled. Dow is somehow ten yards clear of Treloar, who still has chase-a-phobia, and runs away with the spillage. He kicks long, Langdon tries to take a chest mark (which he shouldn't have done) but Silvagni spoils. He beats Silvagni pointless on the ground and knocks the ball forward. Crisp misses the tackle on Cunningham. The ball comes out to Cripps who - as part of our affirmative action plan - is again running unmarked at goal. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

Last Carlton goal - Carlton gets a centre clearance and goes straight down the middle. The ball falls to Gibbons, who goals. Langdon is resting on the bench. Those that understand the game know that it was Langdon's fault.

OK, folks. There you have it, goal by goal (and those of you who also have Kayo can go through and check my analysis).

If you disagree, feel free to tell me where.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Second half:

You put a lot of effort into what was either a cynical or humorous piece. Take all the rhetoric away, examine his game in isolation and you'll see it for the 1/10 it was. No grudge against Tom, just calling it out

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 am

Guys... just use the ^ please, no need to quote War & Peace to add a one-line reply. Nearly broke the scroll button on my phone
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 am

inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Second half:

You put a lot of effort into what was either a cynical or humorous piece. Take all the rhetoric away, examine his game in isolation and you'll see it for the 1/10 it was. No grudge against Tom, just calling it out

This is classic and so typical of the crap on this board. Its embarrassing.

P4S, terrific job of showing that Langdon, as usual, was not responsible for the goals kicked. You are 100% right and your anlysis bears this out.

Also, re that finger silvagni got on the ball to spoil Langdon's mark. I will tell you that it is a testament to how reliable Langdon is that we were all a little shocked that happened. i actually remember being shocked that for once, Langdon didnt get it done. I dont think i have that expectation of any other player on the team. If it happened to Maynard or Howe or even Moore, i would not have thought anything of it. By the way, it was a piece of brilliance by Silvangni (very few could reach that far back without interfering - it really was amnazing wiork). Anyway, i think that shows just how reliable Langdon is.

With ALL OF THAT SAID - and sorry in advance Mr. P4S, this was a game that Langdon exerted very little influence on relative to his usual impact. whether Cartlon planned a way to get him away from the action or something else was going on, his influence was limited.

And by the way, this alone was probably a key for Carlton in scoring all of these goals because in fact one of the things we dont praise Langdon for enough is the number of times he influences play in a way that nullifies goals. Its underappreciated by fans and it is why i think he is such a champion. If Langdon had a great game, i suspect that some of the goals you described P4S wouldnt have been listed because they wouldnt have been goals. Instead, you might have described the play as follows:

e.g., Fifth Carlton non-goal - Roughead and Howe appear to get beaten by McGovern in the air in a two on two, but then Langdon comes in from the side and punches the ball over the line for a boundary throw in. Grundy wins the clearance and the pies kick their 18th! No one notices that Langdon did a great job and saved another goal except Nathan Buckley, Langdon's teammates and E!

E 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 am

inxs88 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Looked like he was back on his pre game bong hit ritual.

His lack of urgency and endeavour cost us the first goal in the 2018 GF, and his half-arsed arms stretched out to take that mark inside D50 today that easily got spoiled and ended in a Cripps goal after we’d dominated Carlton for 99% of the last quarter is what keeps me up at night wondering how on earth we’re gonna win a GF with this guy and players of his ilk.

I’ll admit, he’s had a solid year, and nowadays is barely noticed for his usual sleepwalking brain farts cos he’s been solid, but if this junk creeps back into his game then God help us all. Compare his game today to that of Geelong’s defence. It can’t be tolerated.

It's really bizarre. All players make mistakes, however when Tom does, they invariably result in goals. Yes, he is a defender however the general "vagueness and oomphless" efforts like today make me concerned. Not room for him and Scharenberg (if and when he returns)

This has been shown to be maybe the most ignorant post of the season. Well done P4S. Keep calling out dumbness.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am

Never trust a blogger whom "3rd person's" himself in his replies... E
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't know why everyone is losing there collective shit about Langdon
This wasn't a one off poor/horrible game it's another one in th sequence of sub afl standard performances he delivers most weeks
The only person who should be embarrassed by the posts in this thread is P4S trying to justify Langdon's performance as acceptable
Without going through goal for goal the first goal was a direct result of Langdon not being able to handball the ball to his team mate 2 meters away hence why Howe had to lunge his hand forward to stop it falling straight into a Carlton players hand untouched
His career average of conceding 3.38 goals per game wasn't reached on the weekend as he was only credited with 3 goals so on that basis I guess P4S sees a positive
Just to clarify one last thing he will never captain the Collingwood afl team EVER
Supporters who watch with open eyes don't stress once Scharenberg is back after the bye Langdon will spend most of his time on the pine or the VFL
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Leggie wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
First poor game this year, stay classy guys

Perfectly said

Ditto

Double ditto.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Jeezuz; Langdon's arsehole would be twice the diameter you blokes have currently stretched it to, had we actually lost....
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
First poor game this year, stay classy guys

This. He has been fantastic all season, until this game.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 am

I didn't notice him being particularly poor, he did stop his man (though it was Silvagni). I don't think he was as effective as usual with help defence or rebound (only 1 rebound 50), but not to the level where his game could be described as a disaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: