Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Deep Breath Sunday: October 31 List Management

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:47 pm
Post subject: Deep Breath Sunday: October 31 List ManagementReply with quote

Okay, we are in a Preliminary Final which is awesome but Ned Guy and Dekka Hine no doubt are honing profusely our 2020 list options taking into account:

* number of list spots
* retirements
* delisting's
* potential trade outs and trade ins
* potential free agents
* National Draft selections
* meetings with other club list managers etc....

We have an interesting situation emerging that only resonated with me yesterday as evidenced with the below AFL link.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-08/indicative-draft-order-finals-week-one.

We only have 4 Draft Picks: 35, 53, 64 and 71 and a likely list cull of up to 8-10 players:

Most Likely:

1. Ben Reid
2. Tyson Goldsack
3. Dan Wells
4. Ben Crocker
5. Tim Broomhead
6. Lynden Dunn: his optimism is simply that

Possible:

7. Trav Varcoe : 50:50
8. Levi Greenwood: out for 2020, should offer him a coaching gig
9. Max Lynch: been around for a long time

Trade Bait:

10. Brayden Sier or Phil Inn: at crossroads and 2 year deal not signed yet
11. Matt Scharenberg: Strong rumours last week that Hawks, Crows and Bulldogs are circling and the Pies are open despite him being contracted.

So the likelihood of all the above playing out is unlikely but it's conceivable that at least 8/11 are off the list, it suggests that outside the 4 Draft Picks, Ned Guy shall need to use all of the levers available to fill the list. We went into 2019 with our regular:

* 38 Primary listed players +
* 5 Rookies (Murray, Broomhead, Mihocek, Lynch and Appleby + 3 Category B's (Tohill, Madgen and Keane)
* Plus added John Noble and Tom Wilson (ex Boomer)

So we currently have 48 players in total and if 8 depart we naturally have 40 remaining prior to the trade ins, free agents and draft selections used. AFL rules stipulate that each club must utilize a minimum of 3 picks at each National Draft inclusive of any rookie upgrades.

Summary Options:

We shall most probably then add 6 more players via:

* Draft: 3-4 picks
* Trade period: 1-2 players
* free agents 1 at most (slim pickings this year)

What should we target?

* Crumbing forward
* Key Forward Tall
* Another Ruckman back up
* A pacey outside player

The above criteria reflect some gaps we could close off ideally. As said previously, we should milk our position as a high finals achieving destination club for all it's worth. We do have a salary cap squeeze but the departures should give us scope to re-contract DeGoey, Moore and Grundy. Additionally the age profile of our list shall come down appreciably.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have zero depth in Ruck and tall forward, that's where we need to focus
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
We have zero depth in Ruck and tall forward, that's where we need to focus

Yep. Backup Ruckmen are easy to find and currently those with ability and are gettable include:

* Darcy Cameron from Swans whom can play forward
* Tom Nicholls from Gold Coast
* Ryan Abbott from the Cats

Most good key Forwards are drafted in the top 10 at that isn't where we sit. However some that are quality and gettable are:

* Jenkins: from the Crows. Wants out, they want him out but has 2 years of a big contract left. Salary dump AKA Tom Scully for pick 53 or 64 anybody? Smile

* Jonno Patton: seems Hawks bound but fits a similar narrative to Jenkins
* Bruce from Saints. The trade whisperer says the Pies are chasing

Rogue2k0 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 pm

First - we need to recruit players who wont breakdown.

We have too many project players as talls (Tohill, Keane, Wilson and Lynch) - who may never get a game - because we keep giving away our draft picks.

We need a Kennedy type forward, someone big who can take 2-3 players with him. eg. Jonathon Patton OR Paddy Ryder (could fill forward / backup ruck for a year or 2)

We also need a young backup ruckman who can actually get a game of AFL when we have so many injuries. Lynch does not look like getting a game.

Need to replace the likes of
Wells - quick, smart, good disposal efficiency
Reid - Big solid Tall who can play either end
Greenwood - Fearless, solid tagger, who can play in middle or back
Lynch - Not at AFL standard

I would hate to see Scharenberg go - great reader of the play and great disposal efficiency - and doubt we will get much for him.

Sier could play the De Goey role in the forward line - but at the moment, prefer Wills over Sier.

Whoever we delist / offer for trade - will not be in our best 22 and doubt we will get much for them. Any picks after 40 - doubt will have any impact within the next 1-2 years at least and possibly not at all.

We have too many similar players, need something different - like a Tipungwuti - quick solid player who can chase and tackle. Varcoe is getting on and 6-8 possessions a game not enough output.

Also, with the current list - we will have 9-11 players 30 or older next year - with out any retirements.

I would assume Wells, Dunn and Reid likely to be forced to retire? and Goldsack (already retired)

Leaves us with Greenwood (gone for most of next year), Pendlebury (who could go another 2-3 years at least), Beams, Mayne, Howe, Varcoe and Roughead

With Sidebottom, Thomas and Cox @ 29
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 pm

No chance on earth Sier could replace De Goey up forward
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Good reply Rogue 2K0. It's a never ending exercise this list management.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Rogue2k0 wrote:

We have too many project players as talls (Tohill, Keane, Wilson and Lynch) - who may never get a game - because we keep giving away our draft picks.

We need a Kennedy type forward, someone big who can take 2-3 players with him. eg. Jonathon Patton OR Paddy Ryder (could fill forward / backup ruck for a year or 2)

We also need a young backup ruckman who can actually get a game of AFL when we have so many injuries. Lynch does not look like getting a game.

I would hate to see Scharenberg go - great reader of the play and great disposal efficiency - and doubt we will get much for him.

Sier could play the De Goey role in the forward line - but at the moment, prefer Wills over Sier.

Whoever we delist / offer for trade - will not be in our best 22 and doubt we will get much for them. Any picks after 40 - doubt will have any impact within the next 1-2 years at least and possibly not at all.

We have too many similar players, need something different - like a Tipungwuti - quick solid player who can chase and tackle. Varcoe is getting on and 6-8 possessions a game not enough output.

Also, with the current list - we will have 9-11 players 30 or older next year - with out any retirements.

I would assume Wells, Dunn and Reid likely to be forced to retire? and Goldsack (already retired)

Leaves us with Greenwood (gone for most of next year), Pendlebury (who could go another 2-3 years at least), Beams, Mayne, Howe, Varcoe and Roughead

Dude, you’re first couple of statements are non-sensical.

1. If you can draft players that won’t breakdown, stop posting on Nicks and enjoy the riches to be had in sports recruiting. Forget AFL, you’ll make millions in the NFL.
2. The project players you name are just that. CAT B rookies ( I think that’s the term) that might never make the grade. One of them might. But it’s not like their presence stopped us recruiting a Didak or Greening.

I stopped reading the rest of your post on the basis that’s there’s only so much shit one can read in one go.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 pm

dalyc wrote:
Rogue2k0 wrote:

1. If you can draft players that won’t breakdown, stop posting on Nicks and enjoy the riches to be had in sports recruiting. Forget AFL, you’ll make millions in the NFL.
2. The project players you name are just that. CAT B rookies ( I think that’s the term) that might never make the grade. One of them might. But it’s not like their presence stopped us recruiting a Didak or Greening.

I stopped reading the rest of your post on the basis that’s there’s only so much shit one can read in one go.

Think you're harsh when Rogue! We all have opinions and thoughts and at least he is a thinker versus the dribble you replied with. Outside that, have a great week!

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:18 am

Need to develop a youthful list again
E 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:47 am

90 nice wrote:
Need to develop a youthful list again

right now? How about we focus on winning this year's flag and then if we are lucky enough to do that, i would suggest our next best stragy is to focus on going back to back!

i think some here seem to want a permanently mediocre side.

Premierships are all that matter. load up and win now (around 3or 4 of the best players the Collingwood footy club have ever had). Rebuild when its time to rebuild (i.e., when winning the flag is no longer realistic).

E 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 am

inxs88 wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Rogue2k0 wrote:

Think you're harsh when Rogue! We all have opinions and thoughts and at least he is a thinker versus the dribble you replied with. Outside that, have a great week!

trying to rescusitate a silly thread by protecting the silly posts that this thread promotes.

Dalyc, i couldn't agree more with your analysis.

ya think we might have bigger fish to fry right now?

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am

Premiership is number 1 priority
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 am

inxs88 wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Rogue2k0 wrote:

Yes, you’re right. Apologies for the last sentence.

derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 am

As i Understand Elliott is still unsigned. An interesting one, i would love to see him re-signed...but should the club want a top.10 pick in the draft he could be of value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: