Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If we need extra mid to tall defensive cover, Goldsack is a no brainer and almost the only option. I only say almost because Mayne's a possibility having filled in for Langdon on the weekend.

If we're not concerned about the height, having Roughead and Howe as our "talls" and Crisp or Maynard stepping up to a medium role, then IQ could be a chance as an extra defensive small. Already having Greenwood and Aish back there, I doubt we'd go this way.

I expect Goldsack will play.

Sier will be a chance to replace Wills. With Adams out and Sydney being a strong inside team, especially if Kennedy is playing, he'd be a good in. All depends on his fitness, I'm sure he'd be playing if fit enough.

My changes, though really only hopeful on Sier:
In: JDG, Goldsack, Sier
Out: Varcoe, Langdon, Wills

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 pm

^ What about moving Reid back to defence? Perhaps it is an option if it comes terribly unstuck on game night...
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 am

We might have done if Cox was returning. Without him Reid will definitely start forward. If things are going badly there's always a chance Reid or Mihocek move back during the game, but you'd hope that's not needed.
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

I'm expecting Buddy will play. Will Roughead get first crack or Howe?

He will monster Howe & be too quick for Roughy so not sure what our next option would be?

Our mids will have to work hard to limit the ball coming in (if Buddy is playing); from general play & centre bounce clearances. They will be looking to exploit whoever is on Buddy.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 am

I think it would be most unfair on Roughead to make him take Franklin on his own - he just isn't fast enough (nor should he be expected to be, given his height and weight). Anyway, Franklin isn't much of an overhead mark, so that's not the threat. I think you just have to do what you can to restrict him but quietly accept that Franklin will probably kick 4+ on us (which is about average - he has kicked 66 goals against Collingwood in 17 games against us over the years) and hope we can confine the rest of their team to 5 - that probably gets us over the line.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

I doubt we got much of a choice if he plays , Roughead would be the logical match up as we no longer have Henry Shade.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 am

Madgen obviously
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:50 am

Julian de Stoop

Verified account

@JDESTOOP80_FOX
14m14 minutes ago
More
Daniel Wells on the flight to Sydney but no sign of @CollingwoodFC star Jordan De Goey. Set to miss again. Quaynor, Daicos and Madgen also in the travelling party @FOXSportsNews @FOXFOOTY.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think it would be most unfair on Roughead to make him take Franklin on his own - he just isn't fast enough (nor should he be expected to be, given his height and weight). Anyway, Franklin isn't much of an overhead mark, so that's not the threat. I think you just have to do what you can to restrict him but quietly accept that Franklin will probably kick 4+ on us (which is about average - he has kicked 66 goals against Collingwood in 17 games against us over the years) and hope we can confine the rest of their team to 5 - that probably gets us over the line.

I might have missed something but I was under the impression that Buddy is unlikely to play. He’s a unique player, he hardly trains, so it’s hard to know his availability status until he runs out or not.
The key to curbing Franklin is blocking the space in front of him and that’s on our midfield ( albeit the Swans work super hard at creating space for him )
As for Roughead, I’m starting to think he’s a better player than I had previously watched from a distance. Smart, plays within his limits and holds his position well. Very solid blue collar defender.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 pm

D P

Last edited by Pies2016 on Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Our defence was firing best when Moore and Roughead were the tall duo

But give what’s due to Roughie he did a very good job against Saints without his compadre with him

A lot of his contribution is his having a crack even tho initially not winning the first contest

And when you see him knock on or body a player out (legally) you then see Reid at other end do simalar

Experience in defence and attack paying dividends—-do it again men

eureka 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm

expect jdg to be rested too
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Mids will need to earn their keep this week. No obvious match up for Buddy (should he play ) and is where we can be exposed. Magden doesn't fill me with confidence. So mids need to have the game on our terms mostly to protect him.

I doubt Roughy, Howe or Goldy can do any better. Moore would be our best match. But alas not available.

Good to see Wells get a opportunity. Could be some icing on this team if he could get going for the 2nd half of the season and finals.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Wells, Quaynor ,Daicos and Magden if not used would be be required for
Saturday VFL us v Hawks. A 2pm start

uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:
With Langdon now joining Moore, Appleby, Murphy and Scharenberg on the unavailable list our defensive depth is looking vulnerable for the first time this season.

I wonder if Goldsack is still in our thinking after he's spent most of the year playing forward in the VFL.

Swoop don’t forget we are also missing big Lynden. Smart recruiting for a number of reasons to pick up Jordan Roughy.
He has covered the need for a big defender seamlessly and has quickly become the glue holding the defence together. Good decision maker and executor with some premiership nous.
It will be interesting to see Jack Madgen get a run.
Hopefully he gets to play on an underdone Buddy and takes him to the cleaners.Pretty tired of that swagger and keen to see us exert our will on the contest early and put some serious score together.
Wells in the middle and up forward is one to look out for. He could have an immediate impact.
in Wells Madgen Daicos
Out Varcoe Langdon Wills

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: