Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Salary cap issues

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 am
Post subject: Salary cap issuesReply with quote

Tom Brown reported we submitted a 5yr deal for Adams to AFL over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't been signed off on
I gather from what he said that the AFL are scrutinising our contracts closely due to a very tight salary cap situation we find ourselves in
We have been able to keep all our players last season and add Beams to the fold as well
I heard in the off season we adjusted some contracts giving players a extra year or 2 and spreading out some payments to players
I think Ned Guy has done a good job on spreading out our off contract players in the coming years
We have Moore JDG Grundy as must keep all off contract on next few seasons so hopefully our planning is spot on
There's no secret SA clubs will go hard at Grundy with offers likely to be in the $1.5m a season range given he's not only the best ruck in the game but doubles as a pseudo midfielder as well
Moore will command a hefty pay rise as he showcases his skills at CHB and JDG has already knocked back a reported $1m a season offer from north last time so his value won't decrease
Speaking from experience spreading the finishing times of your star players contracts is vital and I think we screwed this up royally last time (think we had 16-18 player off contract at end of last season)
Interesting times ahead for the club and if the players are prepared to take a little less each year to stay together then we have a chance of being w very strong side for many years
At some point we are likley to lose a player we want to keep the market just works that way
But I think the fact that Sidey and Pendles both went to the club in the off season and adjusted there contracts to ensure we got Beams in and were able to keep all the other players shows the younger players that some times self sacrifice is for the greater good of the group
I'm sure the club has plans for the likes of Pendles after football and this can be taken into account when a player sits down and looks at life after footy
I wish Ned the best in juggling the cap and hope the playing group stick fat
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pendles /. Sidey /. Wells $$$$$ adjusts must be applauded 👏👏👏

It may well have put paid to JDG taking the other offer as well as Beams return

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 am

If we win the flag, I will not care - but if we do not and then we lose any of Moore, JDG or Son of Odin because we are paying Beams, I will be just a little disappointed.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 am

I would appreciate if anyone could clarify Grundys contract position at the end of 2020.
Is he “ only “ out of contract OR is he out of contract and also as a restricted free agent ??
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:58 am

With 8 yrs service in 2020 Brody Grundy a restricted free agent

With 15 yrs service in 2020 Scott Pendlebury an unrestricted free agent

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:06 am

With brother Riley being drafted to Port Adelaide in 2018 Draft I wonder does Brody with him saying he still has friends and family in SA and also he thinks of SA in his future plans feel the pull of playing at Port with brother

Yes I know Adelaide have certain triggers but who knows

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:15 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
If we win the flag, I will not care - but if we do not and then we lose any of Moore, JDG or Son of Odin because we are paying Beams, I will be just a little disappointed.

Untrue the Beams deal was done after we re-signed Moore & JDG
Part of Beams salary is still being paid by the Lions as well the movement of Sidey and Pendles was only an extension that allowed the club to pay Beams the remainder of his deal he signed instead of back ending it
I would imagine giving Sidey the extension they also added to his salary package and adjusted when he would receive the higher portion of his salary
Grundy will attract offers no matter if we had Beams or not
SA clubs will chase him hard as they should really because he's a SA native so its easier to entice him home than a Vic kid to move away from home

Winning or losing a flag won't come down to 1 player never does but
by having Beams improves our chances in many opinions just not yours
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pm

BazBoy wrote:
With 8 yrs service in 2020 Brody Grundy a restricted free agent

With 15 yrs service in 2020 Scott Pendlebury an unrestricted free agent

Cheers Baz !
donuts 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:37 pm

I agree with earlier sentiments regarding Ned Guy. He seems to be working overtime to ensure that our current, and future TTP/Salary cap is being looked after.
I always have a laugh when clubs are under 'salary cap pressure/squeeze etc...The thing to remember is that under the current CBA, ALL clubs must pay a minimum of 95% of the cap each year. Yes, better teams need to juggle payments as the demand of players/player agents increase but all clubs operate with set boundaries that are close to each other.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Feel like the media need to find some kind of pressure to put on us and the cap squeeze is all they have.

Then you get opposition supporters that will carry on about it. Why is that, well its because they are cut because they are feeling shit about Collingwood having a good list. I'm sure they didnt feel this way when Brisbane were winning flags, especially against us.

We're fine.

Wells - 34
Goldsack - 31
Dunn - 31
Pendlebury - 31
Varcoe - 31
Greenwood - 30
Reid - 30
Mayne - 30
Beams - 29

We will need to address replacing these players in the coming few seasons. Thats the real issue.

As was mentioned earlier, if we win the flag, no one is going to care about the upcoming cap.

Players have already taken a bit less to secure Beams. And players might need to take a bit less to stay together and have a shot at a flag. If we lose someone who wants more cash, then so be it. We'll get draft picks out of it and will still have a quality team.

BazBoy wrote:
With brother Riley being drafted to Port Adelaide in 2018 Draft I wonder does Brody with him saying he still has friends and family in SA and also he thinks of SA in his future plans feel the pull of playing at Port with brother

Yes I know Adelaide have certain triggers but who knows

So he goes to play with baby bro and then baby bro is delisted, then what?

Life after football is very long. Careers are not.

Grundy is 25. If he is lucky he will be able to play into his 30's. After that, he'll have the rest of his life to live in Adelaide. He'll still be a young man (I wish I could retire in my early 30's and be a millionaire). The question is, does he want to play football in Adelaide? If that is a yes, then we'll have an issue. Right now, Collingwood is his home. He wants to win the flag. Let's focus on that.

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm

donuts wrote:
I always have a laugh when clubs are under 'salary cap pressure/squeeze etc...The thing to remember is that under the current CBA, ALL clubs must pay a minimum of 95% of the cap each year. Yes, better teams need to juggle payments as the demand of players/player agents increase but all clubs operate with set boundaries that are close to each other.

But you have to agree it's easier to overpay a dud list than to underpay a good list.

Presti35 wrote:
Grundy is 25. If he is lucky he will be able to play into his 30's. After that, he'll have the rest of his life to live in Adelaide. ...

Yep, but players don't think that way. (Don't know about Grundy, though.)
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:33 pm

I dont think anyone that's in their 20's thinks that way.

But we have the right people at the club to help players realise these things. Wink

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Make an offer they can't refuse.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Otherwise its the horses head
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Ned speaks to Brodie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: