Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Weekly Player Ratings: Round 7

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:32 pm
Post subject: Weekly Player Ratings: Round 7Reply with quote

Straight into it:

1. Stephenson: fantastic game with his first quarter essentially being the matchwinner with 3 goals 2. His high mark in the last quarter was something we haven't seen and was a tad unlucky not to kick 6 for the night. 9/10

2. DeGoey: was beaten by his opponent and his set shot kicking ahs fallen to pieces. Technique all wrong. Google Lockett and Dunstall for a clinic in accuracy. 4/10

4. Grundy: you can never avenge a Grand Final performance in a Home and Away match, however his first quarter thumping of Lycett was a great sign of pride and a response. Manfully did 95% of the ruckwork with minor support from Reid and Roughead late. 9/10

5. Elliott: the week off did Jamie the world of good. Seemed to have renewed zest and spark. 3 goals and some good tackling made up for the odd error or two. 7.5/10

7. Treloar: after a quiet first quarter, he bounced back to find it 35 times and kick a critical goal in the third quarter. Typically he butchered the ball a couple of times under no pressure and got a bit fancy with his lookaway handballs to the opposition a dew times. Cliché Adam. 8/10

8. Langdon: took a few telling marks for the first time since the Tigers game. Got cut up by Westhoff several times 5/10

10. Pendlebury: his last two weeks have been his best for 2 years. After the Bulldogs game, he looked gone as a midfielder but has recaptured that offensive game that seemed to have been lost to a pseudo tagging role. 11 inside 50's illustrates this. 9/10

11. Beams: a mate asked me the other day how has Dayne gone on return to the Pies. Frankly given his credentials and abilities, somewhat "underwhelming". A handy goal and some inside work etc.. last night, but has yet to stamp himself on a game like Pendles has done. 5/10

13. Adams: despite only completing half the game, Taylor committed the worst two clangers of the night. The direct handball to the opposition that ended up in a goal and the HORRENDOUS Taylor-esque inward kick on the 45 that missed two of our players vs going straight to Port for an eventual goal. Grand Final error part 2. Yes it sounds harsh, however learned fans must have seen by now that Taylor's "kryptonite" is this very kick and should be BANNED from his arsenal. 3/10

17. Brown: the left foot on the run to Reid was another little vignette of what Callum can do. Not prolific but learning and earning every week. 5.5/10

19. Greenwood: whom would have thought he would have been our intercept marking beast in the last quarter? Outside the Benny Hill sequence with him and others in the last quarter, this was his best match for the year. 7.5/10

20. Reid: Good to see Reidy get the buzz of senior footy together and the goal he kicked was more impressive given he spoilt a marking contest down back only 60 seconds earlier. However his inaccuracy only serves the likelihood that he'll be omitted next week. 6/10

21. Phillips: more prevalent in the first half than the second, Tommy built on an excellent Anzac Day performance. 8/10

22. Sidebottom: 30 possessions and a goal combined with relentless running made for a consistent performance. His disposal, slow decision making and keenness to do the fancy vs the necessary though hurt his rating. 7.5/10

23. Roughead: steady game with some important intercepts. Went into the ruck late post the Ebert concussion showing he has more strings to his bow. 6.5/10

24. Thomas: outside one telling tackle, Thomas played like a player who knows he is under pressure. Blazed at goal several times without seeing a teammate in a better position. 3/10

25. Crisp: excellent gut running and penetrative half back play by Jack in his 99th match in a row for the Pies. Progressing towards All Australian and another top 5 in the Copeland Trophy. 8.5/10

30. Moore: his best game for the club. As Garry Lyon opined after the game, he is displaying generational type traits, with his speed, anticipation, guile and smarts. Exceptional. 9/10

32. Hoskin Elliott: given he was allowed to transition back from injury via the seniors vs the reserves, a second up malaise was somewhat expected. Outside his running goal, he was our least effective contributor. 2/10

37. Maynard: a real licorice all sorts match from Brayden. His competitive one on one stuff exceptional but his fumbley handling coughed up 2 goals. 6.5/10

38. Howe: possession wise, this was Jeremy's quietest game since being moved to the backline amidst some strong team oriented spoils and an exceptional mark. 5/10

41. Mihocek: looked like being a carbon copy of the Anzac Day match. That being identical boundary goal early then little thereafter. Lifted when we needed him to in the third quarter especially with the "pick pocketing" of the ball and then long kick that lead to DeGoey's goal. Plus kicked the sealer early in the last. Solid but not spectacular. 6.5/10

Summary:

Like many fans, I am sure we are all very excited by our fantastic starts to matches. This often highlights the coaching is clear and applicable. The shooting for goals from set shots is sadly an issue that cost us the Geelong game and luckily not the last two.

Carlton next week and we have the chance to actually draw within one game of matching them (ie. 127 Carlton and the Pies 125). 8 day break with some interesting selections ahead.

Out's:

Adams (injured)
Reid (omitted)

In's:

Mason
Aish

Vulnerable:

Thomas

Wild Cards:

Wells or Wills

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been Greenwood’s biggest critic of late but as you indicated, it was easily his best for a while.
I don’t want him tagging again because it only means we don’t have anywhere near our best three mids in the square at once BUT if he can make the backline his own, then good on him.
I also think his ball use improves when he only has to see the game in front of him, as opposed to all around him.
He looked very comfortable.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:23 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I have been Greenwood’s biggest critic of late but as you indicated, it was easily his best for a while.
I don’t want him tagging again because it only means we don’t have anywhere near our best three mids in the square at once BUT if he can make the backline his own, then good on him.
I also think his ball use improves when he only has to see the game in front of him, as opposed to all around him.
He looked very comfortable.

He is playing for his acer weekly. Pretty stressful

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:00 am

Beams was tagging and destroyed his opponent. That’s more than a 5/10 to me.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 am

You don't drop Reid off that performance. You can fix inaccuracy, his endeavour and presentation was sound.

Thomas I've long been a fan but an average goal a game output to date and a soft outing against Port I'd be sending him back to the 2nds in an attempt to spark some intesity into his output on his return.

Agree with MBFC on Beams, I've been critical to date but a better game than last week. Stats didn't tell the story. Similarly, a solid contribution from Greenwood on that front.

Cheers for the summary.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Reid will not be dropped.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:50 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Beams was tagging and destroyed his opponent. That’s more than a 5/10 to me.

Beams tagging? There two words I never thought I would see in the same sentence. Who did he tag?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 pm

He ran around behind Rockliff all day. Between them, they demonstrated eloquently that the bar for captaincy of Brisbane hasn’t been set too high in recent years. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm

^ But GC's (co)captain has been standing tall this year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Fine player, Witts.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 am

INXS Beams was on Rockliff all game if you watch closely
Rockliff had been averaging 30+ touches 6 clearances 6 inside 50's 5 rebound 50's
On the weekend he had less than half of most of his stats
Watch the vision closely you will see Beams was in his hip pocket right through until late in the 3rd term when Rockliff was moved to the forward line and Beams stayed in the midfield
Buckley said weeks ago that he wouldn't always employ a traditional tagger but would give players roles on limiting opposition players who he believed could be dangerous
This was done with Treloar against the Lions
Beams had 24 kicked a goal and held his opponent to some miserly numbers and blunted there work from the clearances
I would rate his game a 7 not a 5 IMO

Beams like Sidey is being asked to play a vastly different role this season to seasons past
Both are doing more set up work (feeding Treloar Pendles and Phillips) on the outside with clean hands and deft kicks
They won't rack up 30+ every week doing this but both have been good (not great) IMO this season
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Rockliff had been averaging 30+ touches 6 clearances 6 inside 50's 5 rebound 50's
Watch the vision closely you will see Beams was in his hip pocket right through until late in the 3rd term when Rockliff was moved to the forward line and Beams stayed in the midfield
Buckley said weeks ago that he wouldn't always employ a traditional tagger but would give players roles on limiting opposition players who he believed could be dangerous
Beams had 24 kicked a goal and held his opponent to some miserly numbers and blunted there work from the clearances

Beams like Sidey is being asked to play a vastly different role this season to seasons past
Both are doing more set up work (feeding Treloar Pendles and Phillips) on the outside with clean hands and deft kicks
They won't rack up 30+ every week doing this but both have been good (not great) IMO this season

Was at the game and had an aversion to radio commentary hence missed that. You make some good points. You'd think if anyone was to tag it would be Rockliff on Beams, albeit I guess Bux is keen to ensure that if Greenwood isn't in a tagging role, defensive pressure falls onto our classier mids.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm

inxs88 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Was at the game and had an aversion to radio commentary hence missed that. You make some good points. You'd think if anyone was to tag it would be Rockliff on Beams, albeit I guess Bux is keen to ensure that if Greenwood isn't in a tagging role, defensive pressure falls onto our classier mids.

Mate I watched it live en a second and was only the second time after knowing the stats I actually watched it closely and saw it
Live wasn't as obvious but when I watched the replay and looked closely it was clear
I think all our mids are doing different roles than we would have expected in the preseason and I think it's as much to do with match ups as it is to do with personal
I like the way players seem to do the team thing over personal stats
It runs deep led by the skipper and leaders it's all positive to me mate
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am

What about rounds 8 & 9?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: