Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

James Stewart

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:19 am
Post subject: James StewartReply with quote

Does anybody know why Collingwood didn't take a chance on James with a late pick? All the more egregious considering our lack of KPP forward options?? I thought he looked good the other night -- strong and mobile. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a star, Essendon only parted with pick #77 or something. Wow! I seem to remember reading that James wanted to come to Collingwood too.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously wasn't rated by the powers to be.
All the hard work had been done.
He is either ready now or he is not AFL standard.
We will wait and see how he turns out.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 am

Yep, the jury is still well and truly out.
In fairness, was always going to be tough holding his spot in that GWS forward line. As for the weekend, the way the cats were opened up in the back half, I wouldn't take it that he has arrived just yet.

If you're talking missed opportunities, I posted 2 years ago, we should have gone after mitch brown ( ex cat ) when they delisted him. Bombers took him at pick 70 odd and he has played nearly all games for them since ( currently out with ankle ) Plays both ends and would be picked in our firsts much more often than not.
Balme didn't rate him during his time at Geelong ( always injured ) and Pies overlooked him. For a low wage and a late pick, he would have been a ready made steal.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 am

As far as I can tell, he wasn't recruited because he's not as athletic as some of the others that we recruited such as White, Gault, Wyatt, Keeffe and Lynch. Walker and Jacobs, from Adelaide FC, are not particularly athletic as well and they seem to be going ok. Jonathan Brown played some good footy for Brisbane FC and he wasn't very athletic. If Patton was up for grabs next year I don't think we would bid for him because he's not very athletic either. In fact there's a growing list of not very athletic key talls playing at other clubs. They must all be on the wrong track.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:53 am

I agree. He kicked three pretty easy goals but I certainly thought he showed enough for a late pick. Plus I thought he was a beautiful kick of the football too. Power and accuracy. My one minor complaint with Moore (even though he's pretty accurate too) is that he seems to stab at the footy when he has a shot for goal. His kicks never look like there's much power behind them.

I said at the time that Mitch Brown would be worth a gamble as well.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Moore and White are the best options we have up forward. In an ideal world either one are second talls. The criticism is unwarranted as two second talls are essentially expected to hold up the forward line. Because we lack a real power forward, we simply need to shuffle things around and utilise them differently. Perhaps creating a style of play that is amenable to no fixed stay at home permanent forward.

To be honest I was excited coming into this year because I thought Moore and White would work well together in the forward line so long as our delivery was okay. They worked well together for the second half of last season.

And no, Cloke should not have been retained. A replacement sure, but he didn't impress me in any of the Dogs' outings with the exception of one game. He'll struggle to get in if Redpath is fit.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Rumours are floating about Josh Schache may want to leave Lions. No 2 pick. 2 years inot his career.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 pm

We never used the draft pick 70 something we secured for Travis Cloke via the Dogs. Why? Our 39th and last player contracted in November 2016 was Blair. Structurally, what do you think the Pies needed????
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:08 pm
Post subject: Re: James StewartReply with quote

SwansWay wrote:
Does anybody know why Collingwood didn't take a chance on James with a late pick? All the more egregious considering our lack of KPP forward options?? I thought he looked good the other night -- strong and mobile. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a star, Essendon only parted with pick #77 or something. Wow! I seem to remember reading that James wanted to come to Collingwood too.

We have done threads on this topic before...

He was keen to join us years ago, but dickhead Hine didn't rate him.
James' father Craig went beserk at the club over this.

By the time James realised he wasn't going to get a gig at GWS ahead of Cameron and Patto, his best options were always going to be the Dons or Carlton.

He had no intention of coming to Collingwood at the end of 2016 after they snubbed him years earlier.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:12 pm

inxs88 wrote:
We never used the draft pick 70 something we secured for Travis Cloke via the Dogs. Why? Our 39th and last player contracted in November 2016 was Blair. Structurally, what do you think the Pies needed????

It seems very straight forward to me. Instead of using the pick we chose for Kirby, we could have used it to secure Stewart instead. Kirby was a very speculative pick anyway, just as Sier was a speculative pick the year before. We have Daicos developing very nicely as our future crumber. Kirby may well have still been available to pick in the rookie draft.

With Stewart instead of Kirby our list looks so much more balanced. No need not to have not offered Blair a contract for 2017. In fact, Blair could still be worth his place in the 2018 season.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

piedys wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

By the time James realised he wasn't going to get a gig at GWS ahead of Cameron and Patto, his best options were always going to be the Dons or Carlton.

He had no intention of coming to Collingwood at the end of 2016 after they snubbed him years earlier.

I don't think we had a pick in the twenties at the time to secure Stewart so Craig had no reason to have a sookie. Times changed at the end of 2016 so I'm sure we could have kissed and made up and Stewart would have happily come to Collingwood if we had wanted him. As you said, Hine doesn't rate him because he's not athletic, so Stewart was never coming to us while Hine is here.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 pm

inxs88 wrote:

One of the great mysteries of the universe.
The offer of another contract extension and then playing him at AFL level.
The offer of a free car trip to take the hobbit back home to wonthaggi still stands.
With the one catch... he must not come back!

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

melliot wrote:
Rumours are floating about Josh Schache may want to leave Lions. No 2 pick. 2 years inot his career.

That'll be right. There goes our number 2-5 draft pick this year!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I don't think we had a pick in the twenties at the time to secure Stewart so Craig had no reason to have a sookie.
Times changed at the end of 2016 so I'm sure we could have kissed and made up and Stewart would have happily come to Collingwood if we had wanted him.
As you said, Hine doesn't rate him because he's not athletic, so Stewart was never coming to us while Hine is here.

No mate; he just f*cked it up as usual:

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history/

18 Brodie Grundy Collingwood Sturt 2012
19 Ben Kennedy Collingwood Glenelg 2012
20 Tim Broomhead Collingwood Port Adelaide (SANFL) 2012
21 Nathan Hrovat Western Bulldogs Northern U18 2012
22 Dean Towers Sydney Swans North Ballarat VFL 2012
23 Marco Paparone Brisbane Lions East Fremantle 2012
24 Nathan Wright St Kilda Dandenong U18 2012
25 Spencer White St Kilda Western U18 2012
26 Jack Viney Melbourne Casey Scorpions 2012
27 James Stewart Greater Western Sydney Sandringham U18

Not only did he pass on Stewart, he also missed Nathan Hrovat, while we took spuds Broomhead and Kennedy.

This is coming back to bite us; Hine needs to get the ARSE now!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm

piedys wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

The Excuse Hine gave was that Wellingham and Dawes had asked to be Traded so we did not know what picks we would have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: