Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood, a destination club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 pm
Post subject: Collingwood, a destination clubReply with quote

The term ‘Destination Club’ seemed to come into vogue around the end of season 2017 and at the start of last year. At that time clearly Collingwood was not seen as a destination club by most in the media. The definition was loosely, a club that players wanted to go to because they had sustained success, were well coached and well run. Fast forward to now and I doubt that ANY other club could be seen as More of a destination club than Collingwood Football Club. The person that deserves the most credit for that is without a doubt, Nathan Buckley. The esteem in which I hold Nathan Buckley, firstly as a person and as a leader of our club just continues to grow. The way he has handled our player Issues of the Last few seasons has been enormous. I think the criteria of what makes a destination club has grown a lot recently too. The integrity of Collingwood under Bucks’ watch; and Eddies; and Geoff Walsh and others, has grown to a level I don’t think I’ve ever seen in the AFL before. This makes us such a desirable destination for so many players (and their managers) young and old. Clubs saying that they are making ‘better people’ not just better players has always been a bit of a cliche but now it really means something at our Club. It’s made me more proud than ever to barrack for Collingwood.

Last edited by Damien on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think ours is a Destination Club? e.g. Who are the players so desperate to come to the club?

Ultimately, players are attracted by two things: money and hopes for premierships.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

K wrote:
What makes you think ours is a Destination Club? e.g. Who are the players so desperate to come to the club?

Ultimately, players are attracted by two things: money and hopes for premierships.

Not sure ‘who’ might wanna come to our club. But surely money and the chance of a flag are highly likely with us at present. The culture of
Our club on top of that and playing under Bucks makes us a top choice. Disagree?

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:14 pm

All clubs have the same salary cap. Ours supposedly is bulging to the point of breaking.

Yes, we are a chance of winning the flag. Should have won last year of course.

I think players should want to play for Collingwood just because it's Collingwood. But players don't think like I do.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm

K wrote:

Medhurst was stoked to come and Jack Crisp happily came as a steak knives set to escape the brions.

Jolly and Ball were happy to come also recently Jordy Roughead.

www.facebook/the hybernators
tbaker 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Whilst I believe we have a great culture and would easily be categorised as a club players would want to go to (salary cap permitting), I think the term "destination club" has been bandied around by lesser clubs who want to be seen as a big club (i.e. to increase their profile and appeal) - prime examples: Geelong and North Melbourne
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood, a destination clubReply with quote

Damien wrote:
The term ‘Destination Club’ seemed to come into vogue around the end of season 2017 and at the start of last year. At that time clearly Collingwood was not seen as a destination club by most in the media. The definition was loosely, a club that players wanted to go to because they had sustained success, were well coached and well run. Fast forward to now and I doubt that ANY other club could be seen as More of a destination club than Collingwood Football Club. The person that deserves the most credit for that is without a doubt, Nathan Buckley. The esteem in which I hold Nathan Buckley, firstly as a person and as a leader of our club just continues to grow. The way he has handled our player Issues of the Last few seasons has been enormous. I think the criteria of what makes a destination club has grown a lot recently too. The integrity of Collingwood under Bucks’ watch; and Eddies; and Geoff Walsh and others, has grown to a level I don’t think I’ve ever seen in the AFL before. This makes us such a desirable destination for so many players (and their managers) young and old. Clubs saying that they are making ‘better people’ not just better players has always been a bit of a cliche but now it really means something at our Club. It’s made me more proud than ever to barrack for Collingwood.

yep, you can bet on that...

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Collingwood....you're my density!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 pm

There isn’t a person alive who has ever pulled on a pair of footy boots who wouldn’t like to play in front of 60,000 most weeks at the G.
Whether that qualifies as “ destination “ or not is subjective.
It would certainly influence my thinking ( had I have been anywhere near good enough )
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:10 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Did you hurt your back on the golf course again?

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am

Presti35 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Did you hurt your back on the golf course again?

A quote from 'Back to the Future" me thinks! Cool

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm

I dont know if i believe this destination club stuff. Is it just a media term that defines a successful club?

What determines where a player wants to go?

The team he grew up barracking for.

The chance of success.

To be closer to home.

Lack of opportunity at current club.

And sadly, Money.

Then there's the players that are thrown a lifeline or other clubs just are not interested.

I think what's more important is keeping the players you have and building a positive and winning culture.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Presti you’ve touched on the point of my opening post which probably got a little lost.

I reckon we have taken the definition of destination club beyond just having success. Success is obviously the most important factor but I believe the culture at our club now has set the bar at a new height for the AFL. This is evidenced by the way it’s handled particularly JDG and Stevo and the way the Coach and leadership group has acted in its support of these two.

Who wouldn’t want to put themselves in the best possible environment. I can imagine player managers advising their clients of the benefits of playing at Collingwood, which was already a desirable destination anyway for many reasons.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Damien wrote:
... I can imagine player managers advising their clients of the benefits of playing at Collingwood, which was already a desirable destination anyway for many reasons.

This sounds like fantasy, unfortunately. Player managers probably just try to get the best financial deal possible that still satisfies the players' wishes (e.g. whether the player wants to leave or stay).
Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Back To The Future quotes.... that’s funny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: