Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the cause of our decline/slump?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

simon tonna wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Jezza, I posted this in the game thread and will do so again here, for what it's worth. I really believe that mental attitude means everything in any sport!

"Okay... I know I will probably get slammed for this, but I've had a couple of glasses of red, so who cares?? Smile

Last season, the boys played out of their skins. They had belief in
themselves to reach the pinnacle, despite an horrendous injury toll. They played on instinct and want. They took risks, attacked the ball with ferocity and trusted their team mates would do the same. They gave their all. And what did they get for all that effort, courage and determination? A heart-breaking GF loss on the basis of a questionable umpiring decision.

As that ultimate goal gets closer this season, the tragedy of that loss is still in their sub-conscious. Why play like demons when the end result may be the same? The pain would be just too much to bear.

So, right now they are playing scared.... afraid of what may await them in September. Honestly, our team doesn't need coaching with technical game plans and a thorough berating for playing within themselves. They need someone to give them mental courage, someone to tell them it will be alright, if they they don't reach the top of the mountain. It's the manner of the chase that gives them the joy, the glory and the satisfaction.

And I'm not drinking Wolf Blass Smile However, as Bucks is a Wolf Blass ambassador, he would do well to show the players some examples of teams failing at the last hurdle, but regardless, still winning in their own estimation and achieving the admiration of all, most importantly themselves".

So true.
I'm sure the whole Collingwood family feel this way deep down.

i agree also. I still cant understand the cruelty inflicted on us at the end of that game. I sat through Wayne Harmes, the deaf umpire, and brisbanes corporate 9 point win, and i knew we were robbed every time, but i just cant get past the fight we put up last year, to lose in the last 90 sec. my gut says to me every time i think of it, there is no god!

I also agree that we need to be less sentimental, and i cant believe i feel that way! I didnt want Reid to stay, hes done, he lasted 5 min we cannot risk that again, Jaimie will have to do one hell of a lot more than he did last night to convince me he should stay, Wells played a blinder a few weeks back, but its just not enough.

How much does that trio get us??

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm

If there were a God, would they have much interest in who won the footy? What with running a universe and all.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Opinions are wonderful but at some point you need to introduce numbers into any analysis.
ON FIELD, our issues are forward of centre and that includes the midfielders lack of connection with our forwards.
Defensively, our numbers are kinda similar to 2018 in terms of scores against but our scores for have dropped away dramatically in the last month or so ( given that we haven’t played against much either )
Last year we had 5 individual goal kickers who scored over 40 goals each in a season. This year will probably have one ( DeGoey )
Let’s discuss those five as compared to 2018 -
DeGoey - on track and would probably have kicked more this year if he was allowed to stay in the forward line and wasn’t a victim of the domino effect of other forwards injuries.
Thomas - huge fall off and was one of the few that could actually crumb a goal in our front six. Which is the real Thomas ? We will know more in 2020
Hoskin Elliot - missed a lot of pre season and missed first few games.
Now forced to play further up the ground to plug other holes.
Cox - simply hadn’t improved his footy at all from 2018. Gone backwards and lost confidence. Needs a month in the VFL but current list profile doesn’t allow it
Stephenson - incredibly versatile and a real headache for opposition defenders. Could mark and crumb. Big loss.
We are probably on track for a 100 goal less of a return from those same players in 2019 and for the reasons above.

Midfield disconnect is another issue but you simply can’t have three of your four best first possession clearance players missing ( Adams, Beams, Sier ) for most of the season and believing your forwards are going to continue to receive silver service lace out.
It’s a double whammy. Forwards are low on confidence and the current midfield set up isn’t in a position to feed them some easy ball.
We are basically at the point right now where Pendles, Brown and Sidebottom are required to get first use and shovel it out to Treloar, Phillips and Mayne.
Imagine being a forward out of form and hoping to be hit up on the fast break from those guys.
Our defence has been good again but it’s going to also eventually cave in. The defence is getting no respite from the repeated bombardment from the opposition simply because our forwards can’t win or retain the ball.

Unfortunately, I believe the short term worst is yet to come because we now play a block of decent teams and it won’t be easy turning around the eroded confidence against quality teams.
I genuinely believe we will come good before the end of the season but the big question is how much will this form slump impact our ladder position.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 pm

D P
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
If there were a God, would they have much interest in who won the footy? What with running a universe and all.

he or she aint doing so well there either!! what good is a God that doesnt help you with your passions??

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Hubris.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 pm
Post subject: Re: What's the cause of our decline/slump?Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Simple question: What are the cause(s) of our slump?

- Is it opposition sides figuring out how to counter our game plan?
- Have the coaching staff adversely tinkered with the game plan?
- Is it purely psychological?
- Have injuries caught up with us?
- Have the events involving Stephenson and Beams in the last few weeks impacted the players more than we realise?
- Is it a combination of things?

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of fellow posters.

I think you just answered all your own questions, dude.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:01 pm

slangman wrote:
Hubris.

mmm... hmm... definitely that one. you'd think the bath water would taste gross by now, obviously not.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Our dramatic loss of form, is hard to fathom. Sure we are missing injured/suspended stars, but that doesn't explain the lack of intensity and team spirit currently on display.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is, but I believe its a problem of morale. Maybe the Stephenson fiasco upset and divided our ranks, or maybe there's a growing sense that Grundy will soon be heading back to Adelaide. I don't know what it is, but unless the fundamental root cause of our declining esprit de corp is addressed, I can't see how any tinkering with our line-up or game-plan can have any effect in turning around our on-field fortunes.

I know one thing - if Grundy came out this week and said he planned on being a Magpie for life, then I reckon this would boost our form immediately.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:28 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Our dramatic loss of form, is hard to fathom. Sure we are missing injured/suspended stars, but that doesn't explain the lack of intensity and team spirit currently on display.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is, but I believe its a problem of morale. Maybe the Stephenson fiasco upset and divided our ranks, or maybe there's a growing sense that Grundy will soon be heading back to Adelaide. I don't know what it is, but unless the fundamental root cause of our declining esprit de corp is addressed, I can't see how any tinkering with our line-up or game-plan can have any effect in turning around our on-field fortunes.

I know one thing - if Grundy came out this week and said he planned on being a Magpie for life, then I reckon this would boost our form immediately.

somebody make the call!! i reckon your right mate

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes - but why would he say that? If he dropped off a bit, the club (any club, not ours in particular) would heave him overboard as soon as it could. Remember Travis Cloke - he was our main forward target for over a decade, his form dropped away and - whoosh - there he was at Foostcray. What a terrible way to treat a Collingwood champion. You can't think that the other lads don't see those things and say to themselves "There, but for the grace of God go I ...."
Greeny2968 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Players don’t give us 100% effort.
Bucks has no Game Plan / Plan B.
Selecting players who are out of form.
Cox getting a game each week.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes - but why would he say that? If he dropped off a bit, the club (any club, not ours in particular) would heave him overboard as soon as it could. Remember Travis Cloke - he was our main forward target for over a decade, his form dropped away and - whoosh - there he was at Foostcray. What a terrible way to treat a Collingwood champion. You can't think that the other lads don't see those things and say to themselves "There, but for the grace of God go I ...."

oh so now you wanna get God involved!!

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I think Trav did quite well out of his time with us.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:56 pm

I’ve got the reason:

Our AFL and VFL sides have swapped their form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: